Author Topic: Beetle juice, beetle juice, beetle juice!  (Read 3373 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Beetle juice, beetle juice, beetle juice!
« on: February 13, 2020, 07:14:14 AM »
I didn't know Betelgeuse has been acting squirrely.  There might be a big light show soon.
Here's an article from c/net.  "Huge red star might explode soon and next few weeks are critical."

There is a second, earlier article below the first on the same topic.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Beetle juice, beetle juice, beetle juice!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 07:50:04 AM »
Well, if it goes, it'll give everyone in 1378 a great show!  =D

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:11:39 AM »
Been keeping an eye on it and yeah, it's noticeably dimmer if you're used to looking for it in the night sky. Hope if it does go it does during our winter since the constellation Orion is below the horizon during our (N. hemisphere) summer. Could be brighter than the full moon for a few months since Betelgeuse is only ~642ly away. But as far as when it goes it could some time between now and the next 100,000 years there is just so much we still don't know or are debating about stellar evolution and stars of this type. It could have gone 600 years ago actually and we don't know yet.
I'm sure someone will blame Trump if it goes soon.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:32:20 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 09:44:17 AM »
So you are saying that anytime from 642 years from now, Earth may be sterilized by a burst of radiation from the star exploding?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 09:53:02 AM »
So you are saying that anytime from 642 years from now, Earth may be sterilized by a burst of radiation from the star exploding?

It could have blown 642 years ago so maybe this afternoon.  [popcorn]

Actually BJ is too far away and it's poles aren't orientated properly to pose much of a threat to earth. We'll get a light show and not much else. Sorry to disappoint
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 11:03:38 AM »
Yeah, and the radiation from closer supernovae (50 light years or less) doesn't fry everyone directly anyway. What it does is strip electrons off the air create a bunch of NOx in the upper atmosphere, which then destroys the ozone layer, causing a UV damage and collapse in the food chain.

It's a lousy "Out with a whimper" rather than a "bang" kind of mass extinction.

Betelgeuse would be one hell of a show. My fingers are crossed that she blows. (or more appropriately, did blow 600 years ago)

Although the odds of it happening in our lifetimes are steeply against it. This Cnet article is the only one really hyping the chance this could be a precursor event to a supernova. And there's dozens of reasons that could be causing the dimming, but have nothing to do with an imminent explosion. An overlap in the star's various variability cycles, an ejected shell of dust and gas dimming the star, or maybe we're seeing it eat one of it's orbiting planets. Also the star isn't very "round" more like a hot bulgy irregular little nebula about the size of Jupiter's orbit around our sun, with the various sides bubbling up and falling back. So it could just be a big "dent" or something on the side pointed to us making it appear dimmer too.
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 11:21:11 AM »
I loved the statement I saw that we don't really have tenses in our language to describe how we are waiting to find out if something happened hundreds of years ago.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 11:42:52 AM »
I think what's talked about is Betelgeuese going super nova.

Supernovas don't necessarily become gamma ray bursters. If a gamma ray burster were to hit earth directly, it could be an extinction event, and not a slow one, either.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 11:49:55 AM »
This is not the extinction level event you were looking for
- Calvin and Hobbes

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 12:32:30 PM »
I think what's talked about is Betelgeuese going super nova.

Supernovas don't necessarily become gamma ray bursters. If a gamma ray burster were to hit earth directly, it could be an extinction event, and not a slow one, either.

GRB's are probably associated with supermassive Wolf Rayet stars going nova, and the black hole or neutron star forming even faster than the explosion of the star reaches it's surface. And the GRB is a jet coming out of the rotational axes. Or it's the collision of binary neutron stars, or a supermassive black hole eating a star, causing it to reform it's axial jet that happens to be pointed at Earth, or more appropriately the entire Milky Way.

The good news is that GRB's, despite seeing them all over the sky are rare, they come from galaxies billions of light years away. Meaning you've got to look at several million galaxies to see one. So the good news is that a GRB in the Milky Way that can actually directly "cook" the Earth with gamma exposure is pretty long odds of happening, and that the odds the jet just so happened to be lined up with the Solar System makes the odds even longer.

The concentrations of Iron 60, associated with cosmic rays, in strata 2.6 million years ago could be linked to a mass extinction caused by a nearby supernova around that time.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 01:53:01 PM »
It could have blown 642 years ago so maybe this afternoon.  [popcorn]

Actually BJ is too far away and it's poles aren't orientated properly to pose much of a threat to earth. We'll get a light show and not much else. Sorry to disappoint

dammit.
(kicks grass)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 02:05:15 PM »
Yeah but the backup plan was Corona, so it's all good.

We're doomed!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 02:36:15 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 06:35:16 PM »
Where's my star shattering kaboom?  I was told there'd be a star shattering kaboom!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »
I got my big pants pulled out waiting for the gamma rays.  Don't make me angry e, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
I hate not having a lap op so I can see what I type
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 11:12:01 AM »
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 11:43:49 AM »
Be wild to experience a crab nebula type event, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 12:06:41 PM »
Be wild to experience a crab nebula type event, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.
Drop the nebula part and I am sure you can find someone to help you with a crab event. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 12:08:57 PM »
Drop the nebula part and I am sure you can find someone to help you with a crab event. 

Insert obvious sister comment here.  :rofl: :rofl:
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 05:21:58 PM »
Put away the Super Nova Tan Lotion it may be just dust

https://www.eso.org/public/images/eso2003d/

Betelgeuse Status
https://twitter.com/betelbot?lang=en
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2020, 05:28:20 PM »
And that link that I was just getting ready to post.  Getting slow in my old age.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2020, 07:34:30 PM »
There's a bunch of horsehockey in that video.  Everyone knows it's global warming climate change causing Betelgeuse to act strangely.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2020, 08:20:02 PM »
There's a bunch of horsehockey in that video.  Everyone knows it's global warming climate change   Trump causing Betelgeuse to act strangely.
- Calvin and Hobbes