Author Topic: AZ Democrat Senators: Register or Surrender 'Assault Weapons'  (Read 1989 times)

MechAg94

• friend
AZ Democrat Senators: Register or Surrender 'Assault Weapons'
« on: February 10, 2020, 10:22:58 PM »
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/02/10/az-democrat-senators-register-or-surrender-assault-weapons/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Democrats in the Arizona Senate are pushing legislation that requires “assault weapons” throughout the state to be registered or surrendered.

The legislation, SB 1625, also provides the third option of rendering the firearm inoperable.

Moreover, the text of SB 1625 makes clear that the legislation ends not simply the ownership of “assault weapons,” but the manufacture of said firearms as well. An exception for manufacturing is provided for those making guns for police or military.
So what is the political balance in AZ?  Do democrats have enough votes to push this? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: AZ Democrat Senators: Register or Surrender 'Assault Weapons'
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 11:54:12 PM »
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/02/10/az-democrat-senators-register-or-surrender-assault-weapons/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
So what is the political balance in AZ?  Do democrats have enough votes to push this? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_State_Legislature

Says 17R to 13D in the Senate, 31R to 29D in the house

That's no guarantee.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 12:16:29 AM »
Worse yet, the registration is not a one-time deal. It would require a new background check ... and then the registration would have to be renewed (with another new background check) every year.

It makes the New York SAFE act look positively permissive by comparison.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 12:19:40 AM »
I hate to agree with some of the more out there conspiracy theories, but it seems Dems are looking to get someone sniped. I am starting to believe they have their own "burn it all down" contingent and they want to violence to start.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:03:28 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_State_Legislature

Says 17R to 13D in the Senate, 31R to 29D in the house

That's no guarantee.

Arizona went purple relatively fast it seems. Perhaps faster than CO. The "Californians turned my state commie" mantra gets overused a bit, but AZ, CO, and NV seem to be good examples of where it's actually happening to one degree or another.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 10:39:38 AM »
Arizona went purple relatively fast it seems. Perhaps faster than CO. The "Californians turned my state commie" mantra gets overused a bit, but AZ, CO, and NV seem to be good examples of where it's actually happening to one degree or another.

You forgot Washington (the state).

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 10:42:21 AM »

Is the shift in Arizona Cali transplants or Mexicans? 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 10:49:51 AM »
Is the shift in Arizona Cali transplants or Mexicans? 

Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 11:32:23 AM »
These pushes for draconian gun control are just a small taste of what is in store when the democrats get control of both houses and the white house again.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 11:55:02 AM »
If it passes, I expect compliance will be 10% at most, similar to what happened in California.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 11:58:51 AM »
If it passes, I expect compliance will be 10% at most, similar to what happened in California.
This generation.

As with the NFA compliance happens over the long run.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 01:06:39 PM »
This generation.

As with the NFA compliance happens over the long run.

The NFA   allowed guns to be registered if you paid a $200.oo tax (about $3000.oo in today's money).   A law registering AR-15s is only intended for one thing:  EVENTUAL CONFISCATION.  I think we've heard enough from the likes of Rep. Eric Swalwell, Governor Northam and Slo-Joe Biden to know this .... atleast if one has been paying attention.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 01:44:42 PM »
The NFA   allowed guns to be registered if you paid a $200.oo tax (about $3000.oo in today's money).   A law registering AR-15s is only intended for one thing:  EVENTUAL CONFISCATION.  I think we've heard enough from the likes of Rep. Eric Swalwell, Governor Northam and Slo-Joe Biden to know this .... atleast if one has been paying attention.

Don't forget Robert Francis O'Rourke, and now [former] Mayor Buttigieg

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 02:15:23 PM »
Bloomberg has been throwing money around at the state level to push gun control.  He has been giving money to Republicans as well as democrats.  A Republican in Florida admitted as much while supporting gun control. 

Also, I wonder how much of the shift in representation is similar to Virginia.  Otherwise conservative voters thought the laws were okay and didn't bother showing up to vote.  I guess when it comes down to it, even states that are solidly for one party often have less than a 10% spread between the voting blocks. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 04:02:47 PM »

I kinda look at WA and OR as different, as on the coastal sides, they were already somewhat liberal and big "liberal attractors" bringing in Californians and others who wanted that hip Portland/Seattle lifestyle. Way different from the Eastern portions of those states. I don't know much about WA, but in my recent experience, Eastern Oregon is actually way more conservative than Western Idaho (and Western Idaho is still pretty darn conservative), but they are stuck with the politics of Portland.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »
Many years ago, when I was still a young Oregon resident, the state was pretty conservative.  It got californicated.

"We want you to visit our State of Excitement often. Come again and again. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live."
Governor Tom McCall
Republican, he was the state's thirtieth governor from 1967 to 1975.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 09:28:51 PM »
Many years ago, when I was still a young Oregon resident, the state was pretty conservative.  It got californicated.

"We want you to visit our State of Excitement often. Come again and again. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live."
Governor Tom McCall
Republican, he was the state's thirtieth governor from 1967 to 1975.

Well, going back to the 60's, California was conservative before they got californiacated. Heck, back then I think we even had better gun laws than Texas. :)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 12:23:54 PM »
If people aren't going to use the 2A for its intended purpose, there is no point in having it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 05:49:58 AM »
crud, i was planning on moving to AZ after this new job allows me to save a little
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 07:18:36 AM »
Oregon too.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 09:41:54 AM »
THE OLD COMPROMISE TRICK AGAIN

Worse yet, the registration is not a one-time deal. It would require a new background check ... and then the registration would have to be renewed (with another new background check) every year.

It makes the New York SAFE act look positively permissive by comparison.

See, that's the dynamics of compromise they are so good at setting up and we keep falling for.  The "compromise" here would be "OK, we'll be reasonable and drop the annual requalification," and we say, "Well, OK." *

And there's another chip off our fundamental right.

As I said elsewhere in re the NRA back in 1968:

And the NRA had not yet learned the dynamics of compromise... that is, "they" say "let's do this, 100% on the outrageous scale," and we say, "no, but we'll go for 50%, and a "compromise" is therefore reached.

And we have lost 50% anyway.

Same-o same-o.  It still works.

And as I also said before, Bloomberg's a powerhouse.

Terry, 230RN

*This is illustrative, and not to be taken literally, but that's how it works.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2020, 04:33:12 PM »
https://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2019/08/let-me-stop-you-right-there-scooter.html

https://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-repost.html

To quote Lawdog:

I could go on and on, but the plain and simple truth of the matter is that a genuine "compromise" means that both sides give up something. My side of the discussion has been giving, giving, and giving yet more -- and your side has been taking, taking, and now wants to take more.

For you, "compromise" means you'll take half of my cake now, and the other half of my cake next time. Always has been, always will be.

I've got news for you: That is not "compromise".