Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 438146 times)

zahc

• friend
COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« on: February 16, 2020, 04:58:55 PM »
So, is anyone actually taking any action? Either against the virus or against possible government quarantine action, or supply chain disruption?

A guy I know who uses lots of dust masks said his usual sources are out, and prices are going up on eBay.

Is there any reason to anticipate food shortages, either legitimate or caused by irrational hoarding or rationing?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:27:10 AM by Jamisjockey »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Unisaw

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 07:08:43 PM »
I had to take my wife to the ER last night.  (That’s another story.). Of five staff in the ER, they all had on masks until my wife confirmed that she hadn’t been in China recently.  After that, all but one removed his/her mask.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 07:13:07 PM »
Glad to be in the country. I have no immune system so I stay away from people.

As far as food goes I can walk to the pit and fish or grab a rifle and hunt.

Hank thought me just how to stay alive.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 08:10:27 PM »
I'm heading yo Costco tomorrow.

Getting rice and beans.

Probably pick up a bunch of pasta and sauce.

I'll use it all eventually so it won't go to waste.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 09:03:05 PM »
I picked a half gallon of whisky.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 09:04:06 PM »

A fine dual purpose disinfectant,  good thinking.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 09:10:41 PM »

Here I thought I was fine with the couple months of food we keep on hand, but I've only got 1 shot of Maker's Mark left!

I hang my head in shame.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 09:28:24 PM »
Beans, rice, canned chicken, cooking oil, n95 masks, gloves, antiseptic lotion and wipes, multivitamins...

Im not sure any if it is going to do much good tbh, we have school aged kids, and I works in a place that draws workers from hundreds of sq miles.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 09:56:35 PM »
What about markets? Aside from the general "panic and uncertainty" sell-offs, are there any commodities or stock sectors which might take a hit? Will this, assuming it gets worse that is, boost the healthcare sectors or tank them?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 10:11:59 PM »
How much daily food stuff do we as a country actually get from China?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 10:20:52 PM »
How much daily food stuff do we as a country actually get from China?

Don't know the numbers right offhand, but I'm certain it's nearly 0.

It's not the importaion of food to possibly be worried about, but the disruption of life from quarantines from the importation of the virus.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 10:38:54 PM »
Gotcha.

The reason I ask. My wife works in a  high end lamp shop. The lamp suppliers are stating that the disruption in China is significant. The outbreak coincided with the Chinese New Year. Quarantines are causing shut down of plants.  This I can understand.

The suppliers were discussing the horrible disruption of supplies and were including drugs and food.

I’m thinking the drugs and food were hyperbolic exaggerations.

Most generics are made in India at least that’s my understanding.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 11:16:46 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 08:21:13 AM »
I would say that you prep the same way you do for most any other emergency/natural disaster - at least a couple of weeks of food available, water or ways to make potable water, fuel for a generator if you have one, batteries, cash, etc. All the stuff we usually recommend in a preparedness thread for hurricane, earthquake, etc.

The only thing I might add for this is masks (though most don't know how to wear them properly) and gloves if you have to interact with people, and ways to thoroughly "decontaminate" afterwards (and I'm actually not sure what proper methods are). This is assuming we are at China level vs where we are now.

If we were at China levels, I'd still be more worried about overblown panic runs on supplies (food, gasoline, etc.) than contracting the virus. YMMV depending on where you live.

The stock market is an interesting side discussion. We already had a small taste of market panic with a quick recovery. I would assume the same thing would happen, but with a longer market recovery time, if, again, we were at "China level". I would probably be an uncaring capitalist and throw money into any panic drops. I'm not sure if I would invest specifically in the health sector, unless it was some ETF or something. I think making money on an individual stock would be difficult. If you happened to guess right about who came up with the first cure, medication, or whatever, you could bring in some dough, but I don't like the odds of guessing right. I would rather invest in an overall market panic drop.

EDIT: Oh, regarding zahc's mask shortage comment, yeah, I wish I would have invested in masks. For kicks, I typed "coronavirus mask" into Amazon, and yeah, prices are up. I use these masks for general stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-N95-Masks-Model-8210V/dp/B084D81PM7/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=coronavirus+mask&qid=1581945878&sr=8-19

I checked my past orders, and the last time I bought them, I paid $14 for 20 of them. Now $120 for ten. Holy hell.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 09:17:32 AM »
I bought a box of 10 N95 masks last week for around $20.

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 09:33:44 AM »
I bought a box of 10 N95 masks last week for around $20.

I'm thinking Amazon sellers are taking advantage of people who don't know how to shop anywhere else. I did a little searching, and while some other online sellers are jacking up prices, they are still cheaper than Amazon. A quick look at Home Despot showed N95 masks available in-store at most of the local stores im my area in limited quantities, but at what appears to be regular pricing.

Also, not all N95 masks are created equal:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/n95list1.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 12:24:02 PM »
I visited a friend in the hospital Friday. They had lots of free masks at the hand sanitizing "infection control" kiosk just inside the door.
(I grabbed a couple on my way out)
What we have here is failure to communicate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 12:36:33 PM »
If we go to defcon 5 mask level, you're going need to wear them 24/7 if you're around people and will need to change them often. Wash hands before and after removal.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 07:34:23 PM »
My wife picked up a case of Yuengling lager for me at Sam's Club today. I should be good to go.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 04:16:36 AM »
A: take good care if yourselves, emotionally and physically.
  1. If you don’t exercise, start right now, if you do, up your efforts
  2. Avoid stress and anxiety- whatever comes is beyond your control, but be prepared.
  3. Get your servings of fruits and veggies in every day. Take your multivitamins. I’ve been hearing chatter that D3 and K2 is supposedly particularly important.
B. Consider getting out of the markets and convert equities into cash or PMs ASAP. I missed the boat on Friday. I had already cashed out of my stocks in my IRAs and cash accounts over a week ago, i wish i would gave done the same for my 401k on Friday, but i procrastinated. You might want to buy some long term puts on the major index funds, if you have permission level on your accounts- don’t go overboard, i wouldnt risk more than 2% on a position. Worst case scenario- you’ ll thank me later when all of the sheep wake up and do the same, best case scenario, the market goes into a sliw decline ir goes flat, in which case you lose nothing anyway.
C. Avoid public places. The time to hunker down is coming up real fast. Work from home if you can. You might want to start considering whether your job is more important than your health or survival. There are likely thousands of undiagnosed cases in the US already, and there isn’t much that can be done about it, .gov is trying to avoid causing a wide spread panic, which will happen anyway.

By all accounts, things are far worse than you are being told.
I don’t want anyone to panic, I just really care about all of you curmudgeons and goofballs.

ETA: use your own intuition. You know in your gut that the situation in china is far worse than is being reported. WHO has been parroting the lies, as has the CDC- they are all shitting their pants.

From everything that ive filtered through so far, it almost looks like the WuFlu is like airborne super-AIDS, people aren’t getting better from it, just going into remission after their body fights off the initial infection.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 04:26:02 AM »
I’m not particularly scared,I’ve had a good run, and am in the mode of doing the best to protect my family right now.

Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2020, 08:54:16 AM »
Don't sugar coat it buddy 😉
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2020, 02:14:56 PM »
I would agree on eating healthy at least from a nutrition standpoint along with basic exercise for health.

I got a little more food.  Some rice and canned stuff and some of those red beans and rice mixes.  I might get more canned stuff later as I ended up throwing away some I had that was long expired. 

I wasn't thinking in terms of having cash on hand.  I will have to think about that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2020, 05:15:21 PM »
A: take good care if yourselves, emotionally and physically.
  1. If you don’t exercise, start right now, if you do, up your efforts
  2. Avoid stress and anxiety- whatever comes is beyond your control, but be prepared.
  3. Get your servings of fruits and veggies in every day. Take your multivitamins. I’ve been hearing chatter that D3 and K2 is supposedly particularly important.
B. Consider getting out of the markets and convert equities into cash or PMs ASAP. I missed the boat on Friday. I had already cashed out of my stocks in my IRAs and cash accounts over a week ago, i wish i would gave done the same for my 401k on Friday, but i procrastinated. You might want to buy some long term puts on the major index funds, if you have permission level on your accounts- don’t go overboard, i wouldnt risk more than 2% on a position. Worst case scenario- you’ ll thank me later when all of the sheep wake up and do the same, best case scenario, the market goes into a sliw decline ir goes flat, in which case you lose nothing anyway.
C. Avoid public places. The time to hunker down is coming up real fast. Work from home if you can. You might want to start considering whether your job is more important than your health or survival. There are likely thousands of undiagnosed cases in the US already, and there isn’t much that can be done about it, .gov is trying to avoid causing a wide spread panic, which will happen anyway.

By all accounts, things are far worse than you are being told.
I don’t want anyone to panic, I just really care about all of you curmudgeons and goofballs.

ETA: use your own intuition. You know in your gut that the situation in china is far worse than is being reported. WHO has been parroting the lies, as has the CDC- they are all shitting their pants.

From everything that ive filtered through so far, it almost looks like the WuFlu is like airborne super-AIDS, people aren’t getting better from it, just going into remission after their body fights off the initial infection.

Other than "gut feeling" do you have any solid sources of info?

I'm all for preparing, but I don't want to waste my time/effort/money on nothing.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?