Author Topic: Booking Summer '24 vacay  (Read 792 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Booking Summer '24 vacay
« on: November 13, 2023, 12:24:05 PM »
Making reservations for Summer 2024 vacation. We'll be headed back to our usual Colorado environs - four days in Frasier, four in Creede. Our favorite time is second week of June. It's just out of mud season but still a week or so before Summer season really kicks in. Chilly mornings, mild afternoons. Partly cloudy with afternoon thunderstorms most days. Semi-offseason means fewer people. Nice to be able to go places without wading through a sea of vacationers.

Yes, I am one of those, the kind who plans as far in advance as possible and books lodging the moment they show availability. I like knowing our lodging is covered, especially given how quickly Summer books up after Jan 1. Mostly it's my nature, but enhanced due to lodging binds as a kid when my Father's penchant for not planning at all bit us in the ass. As kids, we found out we were going to Colorado by waking up in the camper already a couple hours up the road. Dad would wake up in the middle of the night and decide it was time to go, so we went. It was common to arrive at campgrounds only to find they were full, then drive around for several hours to find a campsite. Couple of times we had to arrange with locals to overnight on their lot. Often we would leave without provisions, any kind of vehicle prep, or sometimes even so much as a spare tire. Drove Mom nuts, especially considering his suitcase was whatever container happened to be handy. One of our favorite family travel stories involves an Anatole Dallas bellhop's reaction to a brown paper sack of underwear and socks.

He's still bad about waiting to the last minute but at least calls ahead (most of the time) whenever he "takes a notion", as Mom calls it. Helps that they no longer head into the boonies, but rather places with plenty of hotel/motel choices.

Anyway, we're set for Colorado in June. Well, the first part anyway. The lodge in Creede won't open Summer bookings until late December or early January. Not worried, though, as we're already on their list. Will be a celebration of sorts, too, as SWMBO will be six days into retirement when we leave.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
Re: Booking Summer '24 vacay
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 12:08:58 PM »
And that's a wrap, another lovely Colorado vacation in the books.

It was, as always, beautiful. Perfect temps, magnificent scenery, and zero stress. No schedule except check in/out times at the lodges. Our day consisted of getting up, eating a tasty breakfast provided by our hosts, and wandering onto whatever road looked interesting. Cooler sammiches and road snacks for most other meals. A couple of sit-down dinners when we felt the need for pampering.

We again did the "miss I-25 and I-70 at every opportunity" dance. On the way up it meant jumping off I-25 at Pueblo and heading to Georgetown by way of CaƱon City, Hartsell, Fairplay, Grant, and Guanella Pass. Most other days it was a combination of whatever available back road struck our fancy. Some familiar, some new, and all with gorgeous views. New roads included Lookout Mountain with its grand 180 degree vista of the Golden/Denver cityscape and Plains extending to the horizon. Ute Pass provided a breathtaking overlook with it's deep valley and picture-perfect mountain backdrop to the west. Requisite drives through Poudre Canyon and RMNP. Trail Ridge Road had been open a mere five days when we went through. Old Fall River Road isn't expected to open until at least July. We also discovered Stove Prairie/Buckhorn Road (N CO 27) from Poudre Canyon down through Masonville. Well worth the hour's drive time.

The day we relocated to Creede started with a visit to Leadville, cutting south from Vail through Minturn and Red Cliff (a cool little place in it's own right). If you haven't visited the National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum in Leadville, do so at your earliest opportunity. Our original plan was heading down to Buena Vista, then west to Gunnison via Taylor Pass. We really enjoy the drive from Gunnison down 149 through Lake City to Creede. Meandering down Lake Fork of the Gunnison and over Slumgullion Pass is great - slow down, chill, and take in the wonder. Unfortunately, that plan was nuked from orbit when the bridge over Blue Mesa Reservoir developed a nasty crack and was closed (CO 149 where it heads south from US 50). With the bridge closure there's just no way from Gunnison to CO 149 that doesn't involve several hours drive or some serious offroading, so south through Poncha Springs, Saguache, and Del Norte it was. The offset was a 1.5 hour reduction in travel time which got us to Creede that much earlier.

Central Colorado had almost 140% its normal snowpack so every river was brimming full and running hard. Daily thunderstorms occasionally upped the ante. South-central Colorado didn't have quite so much snow, but still enough that the mighty Rio Grande was running bank to bank, much to the delight of every trout fisherman this side of... wherever.

No hiccups, hitches, or calamities. Not so much as a mildly unfortunate event. Even the perpetual Summer road construction delays/closures were met with anticipation. We would turn off the pickup, roll down the windows, and enjoy the view while cool mountain breezes wafted through the cab. At a construction stop just outside Red Cliff, six beautiful AC Cobras pulled up behind us - tops down and side pipes crackling. What a glorious noise. Just down the road we stopped at Camp Hale, now a protected National Historic Site. Several good documentaries on YouTube if you're interested.

Unfortunately, it couldn't last forever so back to the grind. This morning as I got ready my blushing bride reminded me that, while I have to return to work, she doesn't. She's playing this retirement thing for all it's worth. :laugh: I looked to the cat for sympathy. He responded by rolling over and licking his butt.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Brad
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 02:56:03 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 05:33:19 PM »
Pressing the like button.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 07:53:28 PM »
Guilty of the zero plan vacation, got back 2 weeks ago from a Yellowstone visit and general scenic drive, the 4500 mile version. Did alright on lodging,  we kinda smart phoned ahead on our route. Vehicle prep was not zero but I had a fun string of dash lights up to the point of leaving.  Owned the car a week. Basic plan was go from Virginia to New Mexico to pick up my oldest daughter, wander up through Utah,  Idaho, Wyoming then turn east.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2024, 12:20:46 AM »
I love the road trip. There is the old Gold Dist Trail from canyon city up to Colorado Springs the back way. Not a bad scenic route.
There used to be a surprisingly good winery at a monastery in canyon city.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2024, 07:45:20 AM »
I love the road trip. There is the old Gold Dist Trail from canyon city up to Colorado Springs the back way. Not a bad scenic route.

Phantom Canyon to Victor / Cripple Creek and around to Woodland Park? Phantom Canyon is a beautiful drive.

Brad
-HankB