Author Topic: Things I never knew - Voyager update  (Read 541 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Things I never knew - Voyager update
« on: August 06, 2022, 04:39:51 PM »
It's easy to lose track, but the Voyager 1 and 2 space missions -- which were launched in my lifetime -- are still active after an incredible 45 years. Putting that into perspective, a student could have begun work on the project as a recent graduate/intern, spent an entire career on the project, and have been retired for decades -- and the satellites are still sending data.

But not for much longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWlXDRsfYAA
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Things I never knew - Voyager update
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 07:13:17 AM »
OMG, it's V'ger!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 11:38:45 PM »
Don't forget - the Voyagers have less computing power than a simple smartphone.  ???  :O
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 11:53:07 PM »
Don't forget - the Voyagers have less computing power than a simple smartphone.  ???  :O

Hell, I bet most microwaves nowadays have more.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 12:11:57 AM »

The onboard memory storage is a glorified eight-track tape deck.  "Continuous Loop Magnetic Tape."

That the solid state radios, thermocouples, etc. still work is amazing, but the fact that the memory bank is still working borders on Divine Intervention.  :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:03:28 PM »
The Voyager 1 mission may soon be coming to an end.
There's still hope but it's not looking good as for several months V1 has been sending back basically gibberish due an issue with it's computer.
NASA hasn't pulled the plug yet so to speak but they may soon.

In December of 2023, the Voyager 1 team announced that the spacecraft's malfunction lies with its Flight Data System, or FDS, which is one of its onboard computers. There used to be a backup FDS, but that stopped working in 1981.

"Because of this issue, scientists are not receiving any science data or updates about the probe's health and status, including information that might reveal the source of the problem," the team explains.

Here's where perhaps the greatest trouble with this dilemma comes in. One of the FDS' main jobs is to basically keep Voyager 1's medical records up to date, then work with what's known as the telemetry modulation unit, or TMU, to tell ground control what's going on. But, because the FDS itself is the one malfunctioning, that medical record transmission can't happen.

NASA's Voyager 1 glitch has scientists sad yet hopeful: 'Voyager 2 is still going strong'
https://www.space.com/nasa-voyager1-spacecraft-interstellar-engineers-mission-glitch

Anton video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1T7RKGIPsA
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes