Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 447914 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1350 on: March 22, 2020, 04:04:27 PM »
My son called me earlier today whining about his teenage son hoovering up food like you could just go to the store and buy more of it.
I laughed and laughed.
 :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1351 on: March 22, 2020, 04:49:32 PM »
OH going on lockdown

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #1352 on: March 22, 2020, 05:40:11 PM »
I did a couple of extra normal type grocery buys. No mega quantities, no TP, just stuff we can use normally. Starting point was a conservative 3 months of food already on hand. Worried about my garden, worried about a worst case where the stuff comes back strong in the fall. I'm good until it gets cold again.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #1353 on: March 22, 2020, 06:00:40 PM »
My wife’s work (city .gov) in typical .gov stupidity was shut down (the smart part) but then they make her go outside in front of the building and meet with customers (for business license renewals) plus open mail and take money. Her boss told her to do it because it was “an essential function” then took off to “work from home”, and sent an email that she was sacrificing so much by working from home and only doing three days of work a week for five days of pay.

We just got the “wash your hands and you’ll be aight fam” speech from my work.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1354 on: March 22, 2020, 06:23:18 PM »
Boom - hopefully your wife is wearing gloves - especially when handling cash?

I'm seeing all kinds of businesses refusing cash. Even when I ordered pizza a couple of days ago, my rural pizza joint took my CC info over the phone - they don't even want people going inside and using the CC reader- then they brought the pizza out to my truck when I got there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #1355 on: March 22, 2020, 06:31:31 PM »
No she’s not but I’m gonna ask her if she wants a box to take with her tomorrow since I have some here.

My mom works for the county in the courthouse and is across the street from my wife’s office and fortunately they actually stopped outside customers for the county so she’s at much less risk now (Mom has COPD real bad so she’s gonna be screwed if she gets it)
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1356 on: March 22, 2020, 06:54:09 PM »
Not an actual lock down as many feared but give it a few days.
And welcome to Ky where liquor stores are considered essential  :laugh:

Beshear announces 103 coronavirus cases in Ky., orders non-essential businesses to close Monday night
https://www.wave3.com/2020/03/22/beshear-announces-coronavirus-cases-ky-orders-non-essential-businesses-close-monday-night/

Beshear also announced a significant step toward limiting the spread of the coronavirus. As of Monday night, all non-essential retail businesses are required to close by 8 p.m. Beshear said grocery stores, pharmacies, and gas stations will be allowed to stay open, but all other stores are ordered to close. Examples given were clothing stores, department stores and auto dealers, though the governor did allow auto mechanics can stay open.

Beshear also said non-essential businesses can continue providing pickup and delivery services.

Liquor stores and banks also are exempt and can stay open, Beshear said.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #1357 on: March 22, 2020, 08:43:37 PM »
If this is real, it's not good.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #1358 on: March 22, 2020, 08:44:53 PM »
15 million
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1360 on: March 22, 2020, 09:09:21 PM »
If this is real, it's not good.

That's why they haven't had a lot of new cases, they're all dead.
I have 0 trust.in China's reports .
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1361 on: March 22, 2020, 09:31:26 PM »
I'm really confused about why people keep talking about the CDC lately. I thought their job was studying gun violence.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1362 on: March 22, 2020, 09:44:12 PM »
Dallas county has just gone into "shelter-at-home" starting at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, March 23. It will last until at least April 3.

Not sure why a judge would be the one to issue the order?  Seems to me that would/should be the mayors' job.

So far my county only has 1 case (as of last night), Dallas county has had 3 deaths from it.  I'm not too concerned about lock down, yet.

ETA:  https://www.fox4news.com/news/shelter-at-home-order-issued-for-dallas-county

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1363 on: March 22, 2020, 09:50:10 PM »
https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-inside-militarys-top-secret-plans-if-coronavirus-cripples-government-1492878

Apparently, the Continuity of Government plans are being dusted off and looked at. Hmmm.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #1364 on: March 22, 2020, 09:58:51 PM »
How about them law enforcement grade hollow points for protecting your virus stash?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/gun-and-ammunition-sales-rise-amid-pandemic-fears/2020/03/21/6000640e-6b08-11ea-abef-020f086a3fab_story.html

In Washington, D.C., the demand for handguns spiked so sharply this month that dealer Charles Sykes, the only person who can legally provide pistols to residents of the nation’s capital, said he has stopped doing so, because he was overwhelmed.

“It looked like it was going to continue, that there was no end in sight,” he said. “A person has to know his limitations, and I know mine.”

Although handgun ownership has been legal in the District since a 2008 Supreme Court ruling, there are no gun stores. Like O’Connor in Maryland, Sykes is an FFL-holder in D.C. — and the only one. Any city resident who wants to legally acquire a pistol has to order it outside of D.C. and have it shipped to Sykes to finish the transaction.

But no more. “I was getting so inundated with firearms coming in, it got to be too much,” Sykes said. “I had to stop accepting them. Any firearms that come in now, they automatically get sent back.”

True dedication right there. :facepalm:

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #1365 on: March 22, 2020, 10:04:00 PM »
True dedication right there. :facepalm:

It's not his fault he's the only game in town and one person can only do so much.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #1366 on: March 22, 2020, 10:13:16 PM »
Does anyone else feel like there is no real plan from the Feds or the States and no end in sight?

I don't know how long people can just hang out at home. This week is when people start missing checks if they haven't already.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1367 on: March 22, 2020, 10:37:10 PM »
Does anyone else feel like there is no real plan from the Feds or the States and no end in sight?

I don't know how long people can just hang out at home. This week is when people start missing checks if they haven't already.

And the dems have now stalled the (what, $1.8 trillion now?) relief bill because Schumer and Pelosi said there's still not enough free stuff in it.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1368 on: March 22, 2020, 11:35:20 PM »
Angela Merkel went into quarantine after she was exposed to her doctor who had it. Germany apparently has one of the lowest mortality rates.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/22/germany-low-coronavirus-mortality-rate-puzzles-experts

My conspiracy theory cousin has been sending me some interesting youtubz about kraut infection rates and response though.

I found this one rather chortle-able.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #1369 on: March 23, 2020, 01:49:01 AM »
Keep the older folks in protective quarantine, and let it run it's course. A tiny percentage will die, most won't , and we might have a country left over.

Continue this economic suicide and we won't have a country we recognize.

I am starting to wonder if China/MSM/commiecrats  are running a panic scheme on us, designed to get us shut down.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1370 on: March 23, 2020, 06:13:23 AM »
Keep the older folks in protective quarantine, and let it run it's course. A tiny percentage will die, most won't , and we might have a country left over.

Continue this economic suicide and we won't have a country we recognize.

I am starting to wonder if China/MSM/commiecrats  are running a panic scheme on us, designed to get us shut down.

Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner!  Anything to defeat GOP election hopes in November.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #1371 on: March 23, 2020, 08:12:59 AM »
The supposed safety of youth is being reconsidered.
Top U.S. health officials are "looking very closely" at reports that a much higher percentage of younger Americans than expected need hospitalization as a result of contracting the coronavirus, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Sunday.

"It looks like there is a big difference between that demography from China and what we're seeing in Europe," Fauci said.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1372 on: March 23, 2020, 08:33:59 AM »
The supposed safety of youth is being reconsidered.

I read that some young Olympic Athlete  from South Africa got the virus and while he is recovering, he said it apparently kicked his ass more than any other illness he'd ever had. Maybe there are genetic, and not just "underlying issue" variables to the thing.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1373 on: March 23, 2020, 08:46:56 AM »
I read that some young Olympic Athlete  from South Africa got the virus and while he is recovering, he said it apparently kicked his ass more than any other illness he'd ever had. Maybe there are genetic, and not just "underlying issue" variables to the thing.
Or he just never got a bad case of the flu before.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1374 on: March 23, 2020, 08:48:48 AM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/have-many-coronavirus-patients-died-italy/
Why have so many coronavirus patients died in Italy?

“On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus, while 88 per cent of patients who have died have at least one pre-morbidity - many had two or three,” he says.

This does not mean that Covid-19 did not contribute to a patient's death, rather it demonstrates that Italy's fatality toll has surged as a large proportion of patients have underlying health conditions. Experts have also warned against making direct comparisons between countries due to discrepancies in testing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge