Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 449317 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1725 on: March 29, 2020, 07:54:50 PM »
Since when does "self-quarantine" mean you have to remain in your house and never go outside?

Since now, apparently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8165415/Armed-vigilantes-cut-tree-use-roadblock-quarantine-workers-New-Jersey.html

Notice: The article doesn't like my ad blocker. It may not like yours, if you have one.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1726 on: March 29, 2020, 08:19:18 PM »
I am ready if the toilet paper runs out.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1727 on: March 29, 2020, 08:57:02 PM »
Since now, apparently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8165415/Armed-vigilantes-cut-tree-use-roadblock-quarantine-workers-New-Jersey.html

Notice: The article doesn't like my ad blocker. It may not like yours, if you have one.
On the other hand, they are from New Jersey.  Maybe they were treating them that way for years.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1728 on: March 29, 2020, 09:41:21 PM »
Stupid celebrity virus spreaders:

https://time.com/5811938/blaine-county-idaho-coronavirus/

On the bright side, it's one of only two liberal enclaves in Idaho, so...  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1729 on: March 29, 2020, 09:42:46 PM »
Interesting aside on toilet paper shortages. This one was caused by unions rather than a virus (though some would argue they are one in the same).  :laugh:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/03/29/toilet-paper-shortage-hawaii/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1731 on: March 29, 2020, 10:11:04 PM »
To a degree.  One point I've made all along, though, is being American is pretty much a preexisting condition.  America's health is trash.  40% obesity.  30% high blood pressure.  30% of the population is diabetic or prediabetic.
30 million have asthma.  1/3 of the population is over 50. 

OK, but the fatality rate in the US is relatively low, right? Under 2%. So maybe those conditions aren't that much of a problem.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1732 on: March 29, 2020, 10:35:49 PM »
140 cases in Louisville now
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1733 on: March 30, 2020, 06:36:49 AM »
Hit Walmart yesterday afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the shelves were very well stocked. I even saw people wheeling around acceptable amounts of toilet paper and paper towels.

Best of all, I was finally able to find frozen blueberries for my oatmeal. That made me happy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1734 on: March 30, 2020, 07:43:45 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-america-constitution/608665/

Funny how there is has been such little resistance to these unconstitutional power grabs.

:mad:

I'm not sure we've ever had those freedoms.  The government has increased infringements since the Whiskey Rebellion.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1735 on: March 30, 2020, 09:39:59 AM »
I stopped by Kroger yesterday.

Either people are actually social distancing, or Sunday afternoon is the time to go to Kroger. It wasn't a ghost town, but I had no problem keeping 6 feet away from other shoppers.

Didn't check toilet paper (we still have plenty), but the meat section was not fully stocked, but had plenty of selection (including chicken!). Milk and eggs looked to be normal amounts.

Lots of fresh veggies and onions and potatoes available. Beans and rice were pretty picked over, still. Looks like things are approaching normal, at least, but not quite back yet. 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #1736 on: March 30, 2020, 12:51:39 PM »
I stopped by Kroger yesterday.

Either people are actually social distancing, or Sunday afternoon is the time to go to Kroger. It wasn't a ghost town, but I had no problem keeping 6 feet away from other shoppers.

Didn't check toilet paper (we still have plenty), but the meat section was not fully stocked, but had plenty of selection (including chicken!). Milk and eggs looked to be normal amounts.

Lots of fresh veggies and onions and potatoes available. Beans and rice were pretty picked over, still. Looks like things are approaching normal, at least, but not quite back yet. 

My guess is that a lot of people are using the pickup service, as Kroger has currently waived the $5 fee associated with it.  We used it this past weekend and there where 4 other cars there waiting to pickup.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1737 on: March 30, 2020, 01:20:07 PM »
Maryland just issued a lock down order starting at 8 p.m. tonight.

Edit In:

No, that's not right, it's a stay at home order. Still allowed to go out for things like exercise and of course the essentials.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1738 on: March 30, 2020, 03:04:23 PM »
Maryland just issued a lock down order starting at 8 p.m. tonight.

Edit In:

No, that's not right, it's a stay at home order. Still allowed to go out for things like exercise and of course the essentials.

VA did as well today.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1739 on: March 30, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »
VA did as well today.

See what Iowa does today at 230pm when the governor has her daily press conference.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1740 on: March 30, 2020, 03:10:19 PM »
VA did as well today.

I listened to the announcement.

IFF the governor is telling the truth that the beaches were packed over the weekend (and, despite him being a liar about many things, this is one I believe) I can understand the order.

HOWEVER, it once again illustrates the need to approach different areas with different policies. I'm fairly certain that, for example, (checks map) Bath County has no need to have shelter in place because the beaches were packed.

I fully believe people made stupid decisions. It also illustrates the principle that those who will not govern themselves (morals/values, etc...) will find the law stepping in to govern them.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #1741 on: March 30, 2020, 03:19:54 PM »
I listened to the announcement.

IFF the governor is telling the truth that the beaches were packed over the weekend (and, despite him being a liar about many things, this is one I believe) I can understand the order.

HOWEVER, it once again illustrates the need to approach different areas with different policies. I'm fairly certain that, for example, (checks map) Bath County has no need to have shelter in place because the beaches were packed.

I fully believe people made stupid decisions. It also illustrates the principle that those who will not govern themselves (morals/values, etc...) will find the law stepping in to govern them.
I think part of the reasoning is the stupid people came from somewhere, and went home somewhere, so such a small area being under such an order doesn't have as much effect.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1742 on: March 30, 2020, 03:39:20 PM »
DHS has sent out an advisory recommending that gun stores remain open. I don't think we would have seen that under Obama.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dhs-guidelines-advise-states-to-let-gun-stores-stay-open-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1743 on: March 30, 2020, 03:40:26 PM »
DHS has sent out an advisory recommending that gun stores remain open. I don't think we would have seen that under Obama.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dhs-guidelines-advise-states-to-let-gun-stores-stay-open-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

State law in Ky. Can the feds override that?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1744 on: March 30, 2020, 03:46:01 PM »

Same here (at least if you mean it's state law that they remain open). However, CA for instance, is going in the other direction (LA county has been a yoyo of closed/open/closed). Whether fed.gov can say yes or no is an interesting question, though this is just an advisory. I think it would be harder to justify closing something vs leaving something open.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1745 on: March 30, 2020, 04:00:38 PM »

I doubt it.  Business licenses, health inspections, etc are all state/local issued. 
JD

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1746 on: March 30, 2020, 04:41:28 PM »
See what Iowa does today at 230pm when the governor has her daily press conference.

She said she'll make a decision by the end of the week.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #1747 on: March 30, 2020, 06:44:05 PM »
Got my essential employee letter today in case the governor orders shelter in place
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #1748 on: March 30, 2020, 06:45:30 PM »
I am ready if the toilet paper runs out.

Ahem --- There are times when a scraper is necessary. Does this device come with one?  :old:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #1749 on: March 30, 2020, 07:17:06 PM »
Ahem --- There are times when a scraper is necessary. Does this device come with one?  :old:

Woody

Hehehe

He doesn't know how to use the three seashells...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.