Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 449447 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1800 on: March 31, 2020, 11:12:14 PM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1802 on: April 01, 2020, 08:52:09 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1803 on: April 01, 2020, 08:54:58 AM »
Wow. The Theodore Roosevelt is being evacuated. The beer virus took out one of our warships.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/01/pearl-harbor-2-u-s-navy-orders-evacuation-and-quarantine-of-most-uss-theodore-roosevelt-crew-members/

Just last night I was wondering how they would deal with a outbreak on a carrier.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1804 on: April 01, 2020, 09:00:53 AM »
Wow. The Theodore Roosevelt is being evacuated. The beer virus took out one of our warships.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/01/pearl-harbor-2-u-s-navy-orders-evacuation-and-quarantine-of-most-uss-theodore-roosevelt-crew-members/
So when they say they will quarantine the crew, couldn't they just send them out to sea? 

The entire crew is likely already exposed and/or carrying the virus if not sick. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1805 on: April 01, 2020, 09:07:27 AM »
Just last night I was wondering how they would deal with a outbreak on a carrier.

According to all the virus apocalypse fiction I read, it always seems to be a binary thing. Either they're the only ones not infected, or they become a floating zombie city. When I lived on the coast, my fantasy escape plan was to grab the keys to one of the boats at work and go hide out at the islands.  :lol:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1806 on: April 01, 2020, 09:13:35 AM »
According to all the virus apocalypse fiction I read, it always seems to be a binary thing. Either they're the only ones not infected, or they become a floating zombie city. When I lived on the coast, my fantasy escape plan was to grab the keys to one of the boats at work and go hide out at the islands.  :lol:
Sort of like people who imagine they will go out to the "woods" and live off the land.  I think it will be sort of crowded. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1807 on: April 01, 2020, 09:18:00 AM »
Sort of like people who imagine they will go out to the "woods" and live off the land.  I think it will be sort of crowded

For a few days maybe..... [ar15]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1808 on: April 01, 2020, 09:19:19 AM »
Good grief

Not April Fools: COVID-19 test kits sent to the UK found contaminated with trace amounts of COVID-19
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/01/not-april-fools-covid-19-test-kits-sent-to-the-uk-found-contaminated-with-trace-amounts-of-covid-19/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1809 on: April 01, 2020, 09:19:43 AM »
Sort of like people who imagine they will go out to the "woods" and live off the land.  I think it will be sort of crowded. 

Heck, we see the analog to that now. There were all kinds of city slickers that were coming out this way to buy eggs and milk because their stores were sold out. Don't know if it's still happening, but it seems to be some involuntary reaction of, "Well there are less people out that way, so there must be more stuff" without realizing that less people means smaller stores with less inventory.

In defense of my plan, at least it would take a while to empty the ocean of food.  =D

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1810 on: April 01, 2020, 09:24:37 AM »
So when they say they will quarantine the crew, couldn't they just send them out to sea? 

The entire crew is likely already exposed and/or carrying the virus if not sick. 

Not necessarily.  Diamond Princess had over 3,000 passengers. 900 ended up positive.  It would have been much lower had they allowed it to dock and isolated the sick, quarantined the rest sooner.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1811 on: April 01, 2020, 09:44:58 AM »
Apparently our mayor wants us to replace our pouch lights with green bulbs and go outside and bang pots and pans at 19:00 every evening. Sigh.
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1812 on: April 01, 2020, 09:48:06 AM »
Apparently our mayor wants us to replace our pouch lights with green bulbs and go outside and bang pots and pans at 19:00 every evening. Sigh.

.... what? To scare off the evil spirits of the corona?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1813 on: April 01, 2020, 09:48:11 AM »
Is residency a requirement to discuss the political and economic conditions occurring in a particular place?  :P

It's one of those you can complain all you want about a state you don't live in, but there isn't a damn thing you can do about it because you don't live there or really experience what you are discussing.

Now that's a good question, which hopefully cordex can find an answer to.

If income and property taxes have been cut, and spending per person is going up, where's the money coming from?  Or, has the population decreased?  Have real wages increased?

If the state is ending or cutting programs and services, but spending per person is going up, where is that money being spent?  ???

Population has been pretty stagnant. Wages have increased like everywhere, but not crazy experientially. Iowa is one of those states that people leave after HS/College and many comeback when it's time to raise a family. Be interesting to see if this happens with the millennial generation. Iowa also have a large older retired population, we also don't have a state tax on pensions so many retirees stay here.

I do know that when they privatized Medicare that whole bill when way over budget and services dropped from when the state government managed it. This has been a nasty topic of discussion between voters of both major parties.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1814 on: April 01, 2020, 09:50:37 AM »
Be interesting to see how the MSM spins this. You know they will.

Russia is sending a plane filled with medical equipment to the United States to help fight the coronavirus following a phone conversation between President Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/russia-sending-plane-filled-with-medical-equipment-to-u-s-amid-coronavirus-pandemic
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1815 on: April 01, 2020, 09:53:11 AM »
Just more Trump Russia collusion, obviously.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1816 on: April 01, 2020, 09:58:03 AM »

OK.... so I guess everyone has a green porch light bulb that they can plug in...

If not, they can run down to the local store -- all at once -- to grab a green bulb off the shelf. Who cares if they violate social distancing? That green bulb is IMPORTANT!

I've heard of some stupid *expletive deleted*it, but that may be the... no, banging on the pots and pans is the stupidest. Unless that somehow scares the virus off.

What city is this? I'd love to see how the local papers are spinning it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1817 on: April 01, 2020, 09:59:23 AM »
:laugh:
What programs specifically are you upset about?

Closing 2 of the 4 mental health hospitals, reduction of prison guards, switching nursing at the remaining state facilities from hourly to salary, privatization of Medicare, reduction of water quality monitoring, reduction of staff in the state parks, moratorium on purchasing land for recreation (we have a self funding trust fund for this from user fees), attrition of state police/highway patrolman and no replacement, reducing water quality monitoring, cuts to public schools funding, delayed infrastructure maintenance, cuts to the court systems, etc.

Also have gag orders on public employees where they can't complain to press about the broken areas that the current administration has created. Removed local control from a lot of areas because counties or municipalities didn't fit the current folks in charge plan.

Iowa used to be a fairly bipartisan state where both parties had some wins and had some loses on policy/laws. Then like many other states, a lot of money from outside of the state came in and reshaped the political climate.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1818 on: April 01, 2020, 10:00:43 AM »

Community snipe hunting?

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1819 on: April 01, 2020, 10:08:00 AM »
OK.... so I guess everyone has a green porch light bulb that they can plug in...

If not, they can run down to the local store -- all at once -- to grab a green bulb off the shelf. Who cares if they violate social distancing? That green bulb is IMPORTANT!

I've heard of some stupid *expletive deleted*it, but that may be the... no, banging on the pots and pans is the stupidest. Unless that somehow scares the virus off.

What city is this? I'd love to see how the local papers are spinning it.

Louisville, Ky

I'm sorry, every Sunday at 19:00

Mayor Fischer invited people to join their neighbors and participate in Stand in Solidarity, starting at 7 p.m. today. All are encouraged to stand outside their homes and ring bells, bang pots and pans together, or otherwise make noise each Sunday evening.
https://louisvilleky.gov/news/mayor-announces-extension-louisville-metro-occupational-tax-filing-payment-deadlines
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1820 on: April 01, 2020, 10:09:13 AM »
Yeah, still freaking stupid...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1821 on: April 01, 2020, 10:10:56 AM »
.... what? To scare off the evil spirits of the corona?

Apparently yes

We need to scare away the virus,” Fischer said, adding that he hopes residents will continue to trend every night at 7 p.m.
https://www.wave3.com/2020/03/23/mayor-fischer-says-coronavirus-cases-confirmed-jefferson-county/

:facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #1822 on: April 01, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »
Apparently yes
https://www.wave3.com/2020/03/23/mayor-fischer-says-coronavirus-cases-confirmed-jefferson-county/

:facepalm:

Maybe they can create a cargo cult testing lab that uses old peanut butter jars and cut up garden hose for labware, and tiki torches to represent Bunsen burners too.
I promise not to duck.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1823 on: April 01, 2020, 10:30:26 AM »
Turns out green is the color of "compassion".
Somebody better tell the army.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1824 on: April 01, 2020, 10:39:32 AM »
So I just heard on the radio that because of the virus, 200K less people are crossing the Southern border. I'll be interested to see if numbers stay lower, at least for a time, after this is over. Seems like their might be a lot of citizens looking for work.

EDIT: Ugh, posting pre-coffee again. I meant 200K PER DAY.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:58:50 AM by Ben »