Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 450037 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3250 on: June 18, 2020, 11:10:38 PM »
As far as the prepping part goes I'm anticipating a resurgence this Fall/Winter; I've started re-stocking on TP (haven't had to buy any since this whole thing started), paper towels are on the list (as soon as they start stocking Viva again), both freezers are full and the pantry is over-flowing into the kitchen.  We could open our own OTC pharmacy with the med's already stocked.

ETA:  We're still well stocked on masks and gloves.  Will be picking up some as they're available.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3251 on: June 18, 2020, 11:23:47 PM »
I'm off on short term disability till mid September.  I wonder if we have a fall resurgence of the virus if my company will again offer 4 weeks paid time off for those of us at "high risk" (diabetes for me)? Out of some misplaced sense of corporate loyalty I just kept working. I don't have that issue any longer.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3253 on: June 21, 2020, 04:39:54 PM »
And an opposing view based on the same science.

https://jbhandleyblog.com/home/lockdownlunacy
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3254 on: June 21, 2020, 05:05:43 PM »
^^^And I see the author of that blog believes that vaccines are both unnecessary and cause autism.  That certainly allows me to give appropriate weight to the medical opinions of a self-described 'private equity entrepreneur'.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3255 on: June 21, 2020, 05:48:54 PM »
Cliffh remarked:

"ETA:  We're still well stocked on masks and gloves.  Will be picking up some as they're available."

For years I've been using those thin fold-top sandwich bags as disposable gloves... usually just for opening the dumpster lids (ick) when dumping trash.

With C-19 I've been keeping a box in the car for casual one-time protection when out and about. (Yes, I still use five-fingered rubber gloves where needed.)

Fold-tops, mind you, not the ziplocks or other fancifications:

Store brands are even cheaper.

They ain't no good for brain surgery, but for casual use where five fingers aren't needed much (just thumb and all the other fingers  together for grasping, like in opening doors or lifting icky dumpster lids) they conserve the box of vinyl gloves I got last  year for general purposes.

Disposing of them in one-time use doesn't bother my wallet, either.

Just a thought.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 06:26:47 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #3256 on: June 21, 2020, 08:12:36 PM »
Those sandwich bags are a great idea!  I'll toss a box in the car & truck.  They'll come in handy for the dogs too.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #3257 on: June 22, 2020, 08:09:35 AM »
^^^And I see the author of that blog believes that vaccines are both unnecessary and cause autism.  That certainly allows me to give appropriate weight to the medical opinions of a self-described 'private equity entrepreneur'.

The article does not say vaccines are unnecessary, but that vaccines were not and are not the cure-all to disease.  Even the CDC agreed with that.

I didn't read about the autism link, so I won't comment on that.

As for his job, as long as his sources are accurate, reliable, and reviewed, his day job is irrelevant.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3258 on: June 22, 2020, 09:53:00 AM »
I'm going o  a business trip in 1 week. Has anyone flown anywhere recently? How is the experience? The airline already notified that there won't be any snack service but they will give you your snack at the beginning. Also you have to wear a mask at all times unless eating or drinking. I'm more concerned that all the restaurants in the terminal will be closed.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3259 on: June 22, 2020, 10:30:19 AM »
I just checked the current numbers for Virginia.

We had 5 new cases in our city over the past week. FIVE. In a city of 100K. Not deaths, 5 positive test results. Zero new hospitalizations.

But we're still locked down, like all the rest of Virginia. Because we have idiots for leaders.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3260 on: June 22, 2020, 12:24:09 PM »
I heard from a friend in Montana (of all places) that new cases are again increasing there now that the state is re-opening. I've been following my state's statistics daily and tracking then on a spreadsheet. The number of new cases seems to be bouncing around a bit. I can't say for certain that it's on the rise again, overall, but it doesn't appear that it's clearly falling, either.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3261 on: June 22, 2020, 12:30:31 PM »
I heard from a friend in Montana (of all places) that new cases are again increasing there now that the state is re-opening. I've been following my state's statistics daily and tracking then on a spreadsheet. The number of new cases seems to be bouncing around a bit. I can't say for certain that it's on the rise again, overall, but it doesn't appear that it's clearly falling, either.

We are doing more testing. The result is more confirmed positives.

Watch the deaths. That's a MUCH better measure of whether the coronavirus is worsening or improving.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #3262 on: June 22, 2020, 12:31:54 PM »
I'm going o  a business trip in 1 week. Has anyone flown anywhere recently? How is the experience? The airline already notified that there won't be any snack service but they will give you your snack at the beginning. Also you have to wear a mask at all times unless eating or drinking. I'm more concerned that all the restaurants in the terminal will be closed.

I'm still working.  Flights are half-full and many of the seats are blocked off.  We block all of the middle seats and some others, unless there is a group traveling together and they want to sit together.  Everyone has to wear masks at BOS airport and my company requires all crew and passengers to wear masks.  

The planes get disinfected daily and wiped down between flights.

TSA lines are essentially nonexistant.  You'll be through there quickly.

Check your aiport's website to see what is open and closed.  In BOS, nearly everything is closed.

If you are used to seeing busy airports and long TSA lines, you'll be a bit shocked when you go to the airport.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3263 on: June 22, 2020, 01:53:50 PM »
https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=238783

It is a bummer that the research on hydroxychlorquine did not pan out on COVID, but I guess we will be in a good position if malaria strikes.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3264 on: June 22, 2020, 02:01:40 PM »

Watch the deaths. That's a MUCH better measure of whether the coronavirus is worsening or improving.

I disagree, but it may depend on locality. Around here, many of the deaths, especially early on, were elderly, nursing home residents. Not intended to be facetious, but the "low hanging fruit" as it were. I'm more concerned with knowing how many active cases there are, because that could give me a better perspective on when it's getting safe for me to venture forth. Unfortunately, the state government doesn't share statistics on active cases. I'm getting numbers from the Johns Hopkins web site, but the number of recoveries doesn't change daily, it only changes once a week (or so). And I don't think it's a real number. The number of new cases has been trending (irregularly) down, the number of deaths has been trending (irregularly) down, but the number of active cases is still trending up.

The numbers don't make sense.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3265 on: June 22, 2020, 02:46:22 PM »
I disagree, but it may depend on locality. Around here, many of the deaths, especially early on, were elderly, nursing home residents. Not intended to be facetious, but the "low hanging fruit" as it were. I'm more concerned with knowing how many active cases there are, because that could give me a better perspective on when it's getting safe for me to venture forth. Unfortunately, the state government doesn't share statistics on active cases. I'm getting numbers from the Johns Hopkins web site, but the number of recoveries doesn't change daily, it only changes once a week (or so). And I don't think it's a real number. The number of new cases has been trending (irregularly) down, the number of deaths has been trending (irregularly) down, but the number of active cases is still trending up.

The numbers don't make sense.

Well, according to the Virginia Department of Health, we've had 58K+ cases... and 0 recoveries.

Also, it's very sad (according to the news media) but the deaths just keep climbing. At no point have we have a decrease in the number of deaths.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3266 on: June 22, 2020, 03:36:56 PM »
Ada, the county that Boise is in, just reverted from stage 4 to stage 3 because of a big spike in cases over the last few days. Coincidentally, "thousands" protested at the capitol right after Floyd's death. Also the majority of people in Boise seem to be wearing masks.

In my neck of the woods, I haven't seen a single mask in the last couple of weeks and nobody here is reported sick. I've had contractors (all local) out over the last week, and everyone seems to be back to shaking hands as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3267 on: June 22, 2020, 04:41:43 PM »
Ada, the county that Boise is in, just reverted from stage 4 to stage 3 because of a big spike in cases over the last few days. Coincidentally, "thousands" protested at the capitol right after Floyd's death. Also the majority of people in Boise seem to be wearing masks.

But the AP headlines say Trump's rallies are causing the spike. 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3268 on: June 22, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »
makattak reported,

Also, it's very sad (according to the news media) but the deaths just keep climbing. At no point have we [had] a decrease in the number of deaths.

Is this sarcasm about how they should be reporting rates instead of raw numbers? I gotta be careful about what's sarcasm and what ain't nowadays.

Of course the number of deaths will not decrease unless some come back to life.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3269 on: June 22, 2020, 06:25:36 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/in-yakima-county-as-cases-soar-community-spread-increasingly-drives-the-pandemic/

Here in Washington, we are seeing quite the spike in our eastern agricultural counties.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3270 on: June 22, 2020, 07:56:13 PM »
Well, according to the Virginia Department of Health, we've had 58K+ cases... and 0 recoveries.

Also, it's very sad (according to the news media) but the deaths just keep climbing. At no point have we have a decrease in the number of deaths.

You will not see #  of dead go down unless the dead comeback to life.  Dead is usually a permanent condition.

EDIT:  Oooops   230RN  beat me to it ..     :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3271 on: June 22, 2020, 08:00:51 PM »
 Dead is usually a permanent condition.
:

Election day says otherwise
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3272 on: June 22, 2020, 08:56:46 PM »
makattak reported,

Is this sarcasm about how they should be reporting rates instead of raw numbers? I gotta be careful about what's sarcasm and what ain't nowadays.

Of course the number of deaths will not decrease unless some come back to life.

Yes, that was sarcasm, EXCEPT that I've heard media report that it's concerning because deaths continue to rise.

As you all noted, that's the only direction they can go.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3273 on: June 22, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »
Report the total deaths since this mess started, and it'll always go up. Look at the weekly totals, and you realize the peak was two months ago:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

The last couple weeks aren't accurate, they haven't all been reported yet.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3274 on: June 23, 2020, 12:13:18 AM »
https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=238783

It is a bummer that the research on hydroxychlorquine did not pan out on COVID, but I guess we will be in a good position if malaria strikes.

??? Who says they're done testing? The last I heard, the study that ruled out hydroxy-whatsit was called into question. Don't we need more information?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife