Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 449570 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4150 on: November 07, 2020, 06:26:25 PM »
I just learned from a friend in Europe that COVID-19 has infected the mink population in Denmark, mutated to a new form that may not respond to the same anibodies being studied for a vaccine, and has already begun infecting people. This is NOT good news.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/05/covid-19-strain-in-denmark-mink-could-cause-new-pandemic-scientist/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-05/covid-mutation-in-danish-mink-triggers-new-restrictions

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2020/11/04/Denmark-to-cull-millions-of-mink-amid-COVID-19-fears/9571604544197/

The minks are to be destroyed.  

As for a new strain causing pandemic 2.0 ? ....... uh,  well,  there are already two strains of covid 19  I've heard about,  could be more? ? ?   As for pandemic 2.0,  no worries,  "Slow" Joe "lying dog-face ponysoldier" Biden will hit the ground running and he has a plan!  =D  
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #4151 on: November 07, 2020, 09:20:08 PM »
I just learned from a friend in Europe that COVID-19 has infected the mink population in Denmark

It's not just Denmark either.
https://www.wortfm.org/thousands-of-mink-dead-after-covid-19-outbreak-at-wisconsin-mink-farm/
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4152 on: November 08, 2020, 06:09:54 AM »
So, mink coats will be discounted in time for Christmas? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4153 on: November 08, 2020, 08:34:15 AM »
^^^I cannot remember the last time I saw someone wearing furs in Seattle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4154 on: November 08, 2020, 08:40:45 AM »

Come to America. There's a Furs, Fireworks, and demilled ordnance store up the road from me. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4155 on: November 08, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »
From a friend: Causes Danes to lick their own junk, French unaffected.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4156 on: November 08, 2020, 02:12:42 PM »
Come to America. There's a Furs, Fireworks, and demilled ordnance store up the road from me. :)

It's not nice to gloat.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4157 on: November 09, 2020, 08:54:26 AM »
Dow futures are up 1600 points this morning (11/9/2020) on the news that initial data shows Pfizer's COVID vaccine is 90% effective.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4158 on: November 09, 2020, 09:39:04 AM »
UNCLE JOE HAS SAVED US! HE CURED THE 'RONA!

Odd timing for the announcement... odd timing...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4159 on: November 09, 2020, 10:51:09 AM »
Distribution of the vaccine seems like it will require some logistics. I saw on the teevee it needs to be stored at sub zero temperatures. I'm hearing vastly different numbers, but they are all below zero. I heard up to -100C, which would require specialized freezers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4160 on: November 09, 2020, 10:57:59 AM »
Distribution of the vaccine seems like it will require some logistics. I saw on the teevee it needs to be stored at sub zero temperatures. I'm hearing vastly different numbers, but they are all below zero. I heard up to -100C, which would require specialized freezers.

From what I'm hearing distribution is going to be, at least initially, DOD's problem with USAMRIID leading the planning.  They have some stuff that can do it.  I'd expect production to be the bottleneck for the first couple months.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4161 on: November 09, 2020, 10:58:13 AM »

I believe  those logistics have all been hashed out and set up,  or atleast readied for implementation,  as part of "operation  warp speed" (Scotty would be sooooo proud  =D ).
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4162 on: November 09, 2020, 11:04:04 AM »
I am building folding aluminum pallet covers for air shipping and they are steady heading to a few pharma and biotechs. Some going international. The companies can do logistics without joe Biden.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4163 on: November 09, 2020, 11:04:15 AM »
Dry ice is -78C, so if you really need -100C you’d need something colder.  LN2 is -196C so given the fairly easy access of LN2 that might be what they’d use.  But that would make it rather expensive, and hard to distribute in significant numbers.  

If that’s the case it’ll be prioritized to health care workers and the ultra rich first and powerful politicians of course.  After that it’ll go to high risk people, and then filter down to the rest of us.  Which probably means a year or more before it’s “safe” to lift the restrictions on the economy.  But “because a lot of old people go to church” I’d bet restrictions on them stay for a long time to come.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4164 on: November 09, 2020, 11:10:33 AM »

I can't remember the last time I saw anyone wearing a new real fur coat. Occasionally I will see a ladies over 60 wearing a synthetic fur coat. I have a couple friends with fur coats from thrift/antique stores. You do see some folks wearing the synthetic or rabbit fur mad bomber hats in public on the really cold days, that is about it.

I would really like a raccoon stadium or car coat, but I'm worried about some schmuck pouring paint on it.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4165 on: November 09, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »

If that’s the case it’ll be prioritized to health care workers and the ultra rich first and powerful politicians of course.  

I would expect large urban areas as well, to include the ultra rich and the ultra poor. Based on both my economic status and geography, I expect I'll be one of the last people to get it. :)

The Boise metro actually has more large, advanced hospitals than I've seen in many even much more populous areas, so they would likely have the infrastructure to accept storage, and may already have some of the medical freezers, but it will do no good if there is no vaccine for them to store and distribute.

Apparently the vaccine also is only viable at refrigerator temperatures for 48 hours, so there is also going to be some logistical planning involved to ensure thawing/distribution are well-planned to avoid losing undoubtedly tight quantities of the vaccine.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4166 on: November 09, 2020, 11:15:36 AM »
Well, at least we'll have a fairly long window of opportunity to see what if any hideous side effects emerge from the new vaccine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-NVs68X_S4
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4167 on: November 09, 2020, 02:48:32 PM »
Well, at least we'll have a fairly long window of opportunity to see what if any hideous side effects emerge from the new vaccine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-NVs68X_S4

If the choice is to agree with Andrew Cuomo or become a Reaver, Ima wear some skins.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4168 on: November 09, 2020, 04:16:32 PM »
Wait'll you see the price tag ...

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4169 on: November 09, 2020, 04:44:59 PM »
I wonder if the Biden administration will make the vaccine mandatory?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4170 on: November 09, 2020, 05:46:01 PM »
^^^I wonder if there will be a national mask mandate.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4171 on: November 09, 2020, 05:53:21 PM »
^^^I wonder if there will be a national mask mandate.

Can that be enforced?  Even if it shouldn’t be enforceable I know most people won’t risk the cost of running it to SCOTUS.

I know here in WA they’re going after stores and whatnot that allow customers without masks inside with fines.  Not sure that’s really legal, maybe, but either way the WA Supreme Court won’t go against Inslee over anything, let alone a mask mandate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4172 on: November 09, 2020, 05:57:43 PM »
Can that be enforced?  Even if it shouldn’t be enforceable I know most people won’t risk the cost of running it to SCOTUS.

I know here in WA they’re going after stores and whatnot that allow customers without masks inside with fines.  Not sure that’s really legal, maybe, but either way the WA Supreme Court won’t go against Inslee over anything, let alone a mask mandate.

Biden has already announced he will pursue a national mask mandate. It sounds like he'll be ordering governors to do it, and if they refuse, he said he's going to county and city level officials to get them to require masks in their jurisdictions.

Which, if my own state is an average sample of something like that, it will be a mess. Our governor will not put out a statewide mask requirement, so various counties and cities are doing so while others (most) are not. It makes things incredibly confusing. You never know when or where someone will get upset with you over a mask. Most all stores here have "mask mandatory" signs, but depending on either the store or where it is, either everyone, some people, or nobody is wearing a mask.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4173 on: November 09, 2020, 06:32:57 PM »
Biden has already announced he will pursue a national mask mandate. It sounds like he'll be ordering governors to do it, and if they refuse, he said he's going to county and city level officials to get them to require masks in their jurisdictions.

Which, if my own state is an average sample of something like that, it will be a mess. Our governor will not put out a statewide mask requirement, so various counties and cities are doing so while others (most) are not. It makes things incredibly confusing. You never know when or where someone will get upset with you over a mask. Most all stores here have "mask mandatory" signs, but depending on either the store or where it is, either everyone, some people, or nobody is wearing a mask.

It's about the same here.  Depending on the county,  you roll the dice of "no one gives a *expletive deleted*it" to getting screeched at by some officious loser that's never had more authority than his cash register and mop bucket.

I'm still not wearing a *expletive deleted*ing mask.

I actually had a bit of fun at the polls last week.  I politely declined to wear the face diaper,  and this nice lady followed me around with a basket of them insisting I take one.  She lost, I voted.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4174 on: November 09, 2020, 07:12:03 PM »
I wonder if there will be a national mask mandate.

I’ve got your mandatory national mask mandate right here, Joe.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!