Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 449518 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4500 on: December 03, 2020, 07:00:12 PM »
This study does not support the narrative.  How long before the conclusion is rewritten in favor of the narrative, or before it just disappears?

I had read there was a debate whether to publish the study, since the results were inconsistent with earlier similar studies.  However, it was thought to be an important contribution to the current state of knowledge and the article was published.

ETA some citations:

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/11/24/covid-19-controversial-trial-may-actually-show-that-masks-protect-the-wearer/

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/vinay-prasad/89778

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4502 on: December 03, 2020, 08:04:39 PM »
^^^Both citations are opinion pieces.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4504 on: December 03, 2020, 11:21:31 PM »
Lost my masks in a boating accident
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4505 on: December 04, 2020, 03:25:36 AM »
Science is only science when it supports the right left truth.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4506 on: December 04, 2020, 03:27:35 AM »
I had read there was a debate whether to publish the study, since the results were inconsistent with earlier similar studies.  However, it was thought to be an important contribution to the current state of knowledge and the article was published.

ETA some citations:

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/11/24/covid-19-controversial-trial-may-actually-show-that-masks-protect-the-wearer/

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/vinay-prasad/89778

That a debate took place on whether to suppress their results from a political viewpoint is itself abhorrent to the scientific process.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4507 on: December 04, 2020, 07:50:32 AM »
^^^Exactly so.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4508 on: December 04, 2020, 08:38:43 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/03/politics/biden-harris-interview-jake-tapper/index.html

https://www.wcvb.com/article/joe-biden-will-ask-americans-to-wear-masks-for-his-first-100-days-as-president/34865957

It is your patriotic duty to wear a mask during the first 100 days of the Biden administration.

That's a pretty round number for following the science.

Follow equality. Resist 46.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4509 on: December 04, 2020, 08:53:44 AM »
That's a pretty round number for following the science.

Follow equality. Resist 46.

How dare you question the authorities who regularly update the "science" of consensus!

Uppity kulack  :lol:

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4510 on: December 04, 2020, 09:48:14 AM »
Today on my day off, I volunteered for the vaccine trials for Covid-19. The vaccine is one that was created in Russia. I received my first shot and I wanted to let you all know that it’s completely safe, with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι χoρoshό я чувствую себя немного странно и я думаю, что вытащил ослиные уши. 

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4511 on: December 04, 2020, 10:46:51 AM »
Personally, I believe this whole "debate" is more about the seriousness of the assumptions, fear mongering, and an apparent desire to keep the hype at a fever pitch than it is about reality.

If you can smell someones breath through their mask and yours, where is the efficacy of either mask? Underpants and a pair of jeans won't block the stench of a fart, so all you wear is futile. I don't think anything less than a HEPA filter coupled with a charcoal filter is going to save you - unless you have a healthy immune system.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4512 on: December 04, 2020, 10:48:45 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/03/politics/biden-harris-interview-jake-tapper/index.html

https://www.wcvb.com/article/joe-biden-will-ask-americans-to-wear-masks-for-his-first-100-days-as-president/34865957

It is your patriotic duty to wear a mask during the first 100 days of the Biden administration.

Can I get a "President Joe 'Ponysoldier' Biden" mask?    [tinfoil] [popcorn] >:D   ......    :rofl:     =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #4513 on: December 04, 2020, 10:50:17 AM »
Today on my day off, I volunteered for the vaccine trials for Covid-19. The vaccine is one that was created in Russia. I received my first shot and I wanted to let you all know that it’s completely safe, with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι χoρoshό я чувствую себя немного странно и я думаю, что вытащил ослиные уши. 

Ha ha ha ...........HA!    :facepalm:     

;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4514 on: December 04, 2020, 10:54:18 AM »
Personally, I believe this whole "debate" is more about the seriousness of the assumptions, fear mongering, and an apparent desire to keep the hype at a fever pitch than it is about reality.

If you can smell someones breath through their mask and yours, where is the efficacy of either mask? Underpants and a pair of jeans won't block the stench of a fart, so all you wear is futile. I don't think anything less than a HEPA filter coupled with a charcoal filter is going to save you - unless you have a healthy immune system.

Woody

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fart-pants-mask-protect-virus-050056776.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS91cmw_c2E9dCZyY3Q9aiZxPSZlc3JjPXMmc291cmNlPXdlYiZjZD0mdmVkPTJhaFVLRXdqbTZZT3kxN1R0QWhVT0FaMEpIZEpoQm44UUZqQUFlZ1FJQkJBQyZ1cmw9aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cueWFob28uY29tJTJGbGlmZXN0eWxlJTJGZmFydC1wYW50cy1tYXNrLXByb3RlY3QtdmlydXMtMDUwMDU2Nzc2Lmh0bWwmdXNnPUFPdlZhdzFUUjhDQjJmaWdPN0Y3T0lrSlZXT1A&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADfWfaYEm9j8Hgrs-IrYjsuy7r4cXJkZdLt82-a9CaUNm3XOtJ2JYJXmvhSBZZ8LmZHzzCTkHzbcpzt81WbmkIqBw3B0IMO3UcF5mOyQGrPPR2v97pVm1KVCEaHQEjUZdQeGm1hddNnUYJ4De9Qs8TWVtHYfj7df6d4m-0EiIMXb
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4515 on: December 04, 2020, 11:08:18 AM »

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2020/12/04/do-asymptomatic-people-spread-coronavirus.aspx

A vast majority of those testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 are asymptomatic. They simply aren’t sick. The PCR test is merely picking up inactive (noninfectious) viral particles

In one study, which looked at pregnant women admitted for delivery, 87.5% of the women who tested positive for the presence of SARS-CoV-2 had no symptoms

A study looking at PCR test data from nearly 10 million residents in Wuhan city found that not a single one of those who had been in close contact with an asymptomatic individual tested positive

Of the 34,424 residents with a history of COVID-19, 107 individuals tested positive a second time, but none were symptomatic and none were infectious

When asymptomatic patients were tested for antibodies, they discovered that 190 of the 300, or 63.3%, had actually had a “hot” or productive infection resulting in the production of antibodies. Still, none of their contacts had been infected.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #4516 on: December 04, 2020, 11:16:01 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fart-pants-mask-protect-virus-050056776.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS91cmw_c2E9dCZyY3Q9aiZxPSZlc3JjPXMmc291cmNlPXdlYiZjZD0mdmVkPTJhaFVLRXdqbTZZT3kxN1R0QWhVT0FaMEpIZEpoQm44UUZqQUFlZ1FJQkJBQyZ1cmw9aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cueWFob28uY29tJTJGbGlmZXN0eWxlJTJGZmFydC1wYW50cy1tYXNrLXByb3RlY3QtdmlydXMtMDUwMDU2Nzc2Lmh0bWwmdXNnPUFPdlZhdzFUUjhDQjJmaWdPN0Y3T0lrSlZXT1A&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADfWfaYEm9j8Hgrs-IrYjsuy7r4cXJkZdLt82-a9CaUNm3XOtJ2JYJXmvhSBZZ8LmZHzzCTkHzbcpzt81WbmkIqBw3B0IMO3UcF5mOyQGrPPR2v97pVm1KVCEaHQEjUZdQeGm1hddNnUYJ4De9Qs8TWVtHYfj7df6d4m-0EiIMXb

Well,  I trust scientists.   In general.  Dr. Fauci? ...... if he hadn't started out by telling us masks were useless,  instead of simply saying what was really true, that the PPE needed to be reserved for medical first responders as there was a shortage.  Fauci has hemmed and hawed on other things too.
Plus,  if one has followed this thing closer than just watching CNN one realizes even scientists and doctors A.)  do not always agree with each other on what IS science ,   and B.)  are human and subject to human foibles.  Take the W. H. O.;  they believed China's deceitful assertions at the beginning of this mess,  and have been accused of being too close to Chinese authority to be truly objective.  

I'm not saying the linked article is wrong,  in fact a very cogent and intelligent argument was presented to explain just why farts get through .... clothing (being a gas which is molecular)  and a virus,  being amazingly BIGGER,  could be stopped by a mask.

I will say I've read of a recent Danish study that does claim the difference between wearing a mask and not is statistically tiny in so far as preventing infection .... but apparently it seems largely opinion? ?.

Also,  I've heard concerns infection through the eye is of concern .... so we should have been wearing goggles all along?

I still think that in a macro sense masks help some,  while they are not perfect.    I sometimes reflect that a lot of people look "stupid"  in masks (a mirror is often close by me when I am thinking this.  [tinfoil] ) but still,  if they can help,   it's really not a horrid sacrifice.    

I have discovered one real drawback;  the masks do nothing to disquise my identity .... so my planned alternate career as a bandit should the economy not get fixed is in real jeopardy!! [tinfoil] =D

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4517 on: December 04, 2020, 11:21:53 AM »

Вам нравится быть подопытным кроликом?

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4518 on: December 04, 2020, 11:31:17 AM »

While all this is believable, there is also particulate matter in all too many farts that show up on the outside of the underwear. Viruses - apparently being odorless - travel on droplets that penetrate masks just as easily as any minute fecal matter that is adorned with a few molecules of stink that waft through the air can. The viruses don't travel on their own, do they? They piggyback on droplets. I know it is a reach with a fart, but the analogy is sound with the "bad breath" scenario that hasn't been challenged.

Maybe even a HEPA filter backed up with charcoal is insufficient. I believe an electrostatic filter would work better - one that uses several thousand volts like the ones you can add to your household HVAC system.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4519 on: December 04, 2020, 11:31:35 AM »

I'm not saying the linked article is wrong,  in fact a very cogent and intelligent argument was presented to explain just why farts get through .... clothing (being a gas which is molecular)  and a virus,  being amazingly BIGGER,  could be stopped by a mask.

That is the main reason why I posted it. If a mask blocked a fart smell, you also wouldn't be able to get oxygen to breath.

I still believe that wearing a cloth mask or even a N95 offers very little protection you from catching the virus, but I do think it helps in keeping a person who is contagious from spreading it to others if they wear the mask properly. So to me wearing a mask, does help with controlling the spread, since many folks are tending to have minor symptoms and it is also cold and flu season. I still don't want to see a government mask mandate, unless it only pertains to government property.

Because of the nature of my job and the amount distance I travel everyday, I get tested regularly. What I have observed is that the people giving the drive up tests are wearing a mask, face shield, gowns, booties and frequently change their gloves. When I have had to go inside, the people giving the tests are also wearing some sort of positive pressure helmet and face shield.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4520 on: December 04, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »

Many thanks for taking one for the team, MillCreek.  Please get back to us after six months with information on the effectiveness of the vaccine.  Oh, and while you are at it, will you please translate The Gulag Archipelago from the original Russian for us?  I suspect your translation would be more accurate than Penguin UK publishing house.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4521 on: December 04, 2020, 11:49:39 AM »
Charby, those respirators were probably a CAPR or a PAPR, both of which are very hard to come by right now.

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/plant-facility-equipment/papr-vs-capr-respirators/

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4522 on: December 04, 2020, 12:15:13 PM »
We're getting closer and closer to winter now. Anyone seeing those snot-encrusted masks? I'm expecting that delightful sight will be quite common.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4523 on: December 04, 2020, 01:35:10 PM »
We're getting closer and closer to winter now. Anyone seeing those snot-encrusted masks? I'm expecting that delightful sight will be quite common.

It's a lot closer to winter here than in is in Missouri.  I have not seen any snotcicles yet, but on days it has been cold enough for that, I didn't go out much and certainly didn't see many people.  I'll post here if I see anything really disgusting :D
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4524 on: December 04, 2020, 01:55:03 PM »

I have allergies, that happened months ago. Wanna borrow a mask?

Uranus is a gas giant.