Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 448026 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #5075 on: March 24, 2021, 06:44:51 AM »
"In terms of the parade saying only small islands stopped covid, well that’s demonstrably untrue."

It's also demonstrably UNTRUE that anyone in this thread said that.

Why don't you try brushing up on your reading comprehension  and try again?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5076 on: March 24, 2021, 07:32:44 AM »
"In terms of the parade saying only small islands stopped covid, well that’s demonstrably untrue."

It's also demonstrably UNTRUE that anyone in this thread said that.

Why don't you try brushing up on your reading comprehension  and try again?

Let me quote from this thread:

Some cursory searching shows "the top ten" being mostly made up of low population island nations, like New Zealand.

Most of them have one thing in common.... they're isolated as hell and surrounded by thousands of miles of Pacific ocean, with few visitors in and out.

I'm only aware of Taiwan having made good progress in keeping the virus out, and keeping the virus out doesn't mean beating the virus, it means getting it later or managing to hold out until a vaccine.

Meanwhile, South Korea is “basically an Island”.  By that logic the US is an island girt by the Atlantic and Pacific.

We need to coin a new mental issue in the spirit of trump derangement and bush derangement syndromes: COVID medical evidence derangement syndrome.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5077 on: March 24, 2021, 08:21:21 AM »
"Mostly" now equals "only". You are one lousy lawyer.

The US is not a peninsula, surrounded by a totalitarian dictatorship, a DMZ, and ocean. You also wouldn't make a good geographer regarding geographic and geopolitical borders. I would recommend Robert Kaplan's "The Revenge of Geography".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5078 on: March 24, 2021, 08:30:59 AM »
"Mostly" now equals "only". You are one lousy lawyer.

The US is not a peninsula, surrounded by a totalitarian dictatorship, a DMZ, and ocean. You also wouldn't make a good geographer regarding geographic and geopolitical borders. I would recommend Robert Kaplan's "The Revenge of Geography".

See but then there’s that whole seaport and major airport traffic, which would seem to be far more relevant to how many potential Covid cases would come into a country than whether a nice country or blue colour is next to it on a map.

The idea that South Korea is insulated from international traffic of people is, simply, absurd. Well, mostly absurd. It’s not only absurd - the idea is also more things than absurd.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5079 on: March 24, 2021, 08:40:02 AM »
See but then there’s that whole seaport and major airport traffic, which would seem to be far more relevant to how many potential Covid cases would come into a country than whether a nice country or blue colour is next to it on a map.

The idea that South Korea is insulated from international traffic of people is, simply, absurd. Well, mostly absurd. It’s not only absurd - the idea is also more things than absurd.

And no one said that at all. In fact I mentioned that SK assigned monitors to visitors*. Something the size and culture of the US would never allow. Seriously, I've never seen anyone put words in people's mouths and deflect as much as you do. You might want to think about signing up to your covid derangement group yourself.

*https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/how-south-korea-has-eliminated-coronavirus-risk-foreign-travelers-n1240957

Yet somehow you think that a country 99 times larger. with a population 6 times greater, than SK could do the same kind of monitoring.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5080 on: March 24, 2021, 09:02:36 AM »
"See but then there’s that whole seaport and major airport traffic, which would seem to be far more relevant to how many potential Covid cases would come into a country than whether a nice country or blue colour is next to it on a map."

Jesus, really?

"Most of them have one thing in common.... they're isolated as hell and surrounded by thousands of miles of Pacific ocean, with few visitors in and out. "

You quoted that, but apparently you didn't even bother to read it.

Limited international contact is exactly how your supposed COVID CHAMPION! nations have allegedly "defeated" Covid.

When nations started shutting their borders to international travel the political left in the United States couldn't cheer loudly enough because they were bravely fighting the pandemic.

When Trump tried to limit international travel to the United States, your spirit animal political compatriots couldn't screech racism and xenophobia quickly or loudly enough.

You're all over the map in your "explanations" and "arguments," and like your spirit animal political compatriots, virtually none of them make sense.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5081 on: March 24, 2021, 11:17:31 AM »
 :facepalm:

I don't suppose it's possible the ANDROMEDA STRAIN - - - - -ooops, covid19 spread could be exacerbated  by such things as ethnicity,  sanitation,  weather,  and other imponderables?   

Last year at this time I recall being told that the pandemic would lessen during the hot summer months as the virus doesn't tolerate warm summer climate.  Uh,  I for one did not get the impression  that happened.  What does seem reasonably true is that stuffing many people in a close indoor environment aids spread,  less so outside,  where we were told it's safer because of natural breezes.  Also,  UV light supposedly hurt or killed the bug.

All this business about some countries handling it better may have logical explanations that haven't been considered here. 

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5082 on: March 24, 2021, 11:24:10 AM »
In many of the news reports about the Astra-Zeneca vaccine, they are making claims that it is 79% effective in suppressing symptoms.
Read that carefully and think about the wording.
The news stories say "suppressing symptoms" but carefully avoid saying ANYTHING about actually stopping the covid-19 disease itself.  This will let people think they are "cured" or don't have the virus and this will let them become the new "superspreaders".

I take your point,  however,  could that just be lousy reporting rather than the vaccine being effective or not???   
A great many writers these days seem very clumsy with their writing ..... :-[

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5083 on: March 24, 2021, 01:22:41 PM »
It's disappointing in general how vaccine data is not being shared earnestly and openly. Around here, they don't even advertise which vaccines are available because "they are all good and perfect" despite the fact that there are substantial, even extreme technical differences between them, the trials were not conducted the same way, and the trial outcomes were not the same. Yet, you can still find values for "effectiveness" for the different vaccines even though the figures were not gathered the same way and aren't even measuring the same things. So it looks like the statistical rigor of the vaccine data is not really much better than for the pandemic.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5084 on: March 24, 2021, 01:54:40 PM »
It's disappointing in general how vaccine data is not being shared earnestly and openly. Around here, they don't even advertise which vaccines are available because "they are all good and perfect" despite the fact that there are substantial, even extreme technical differences between them, the trials were not conducted the same way, and the trial outcomes were not the same. Yet, you can still find values for "effectiveness" for the different vaccines even though the figures were not gathered the same way and aren't even measuring the same things. So it looks like the statistical rigor of the vaccine data is not really much better than for the pandemic.
That is a problem with a lot of things these days.  Too many people default to Hide-the-Information mode.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5085 on: March 24, 2021, 11:25:28 PM »
It's 24 March, 2021, and George Zimmerman is still not guilty.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5086 on: March 24, 2021, 11:39:26 PM »
And Leon's getting larger
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:55:17 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5087 on: March 25, 2021, 12:21:34 AM »

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5088 on: March 25, 2021, 07:33:21 PM »
"See but then there’s that whole seaport and major airport traffic, which would seem to be far more relevant to how many potential Covid cases would come into a country than whether a nice country or blue colour is next to it on a map."

Jesus, really?

"Most of them have one thing in common.... they're isolated as hell and surrounded by thousands of miles of Pacific ocean, with few visitors in and out. "

You quoted that, but apparently you didn't even bother to read it.

Limited international contact is exactly how your supposed COVID CHAMPION! nations have allegedly "defeated" Covid.

When nations started shutting their borders to international travel the political left in the United States couldn't cheer loudly enough because they were bravely fighting the pandemic.

When Trump tried to limit international travel to the United States, your spirit animal political compatriots couldn't screech racism and xenophobia quickly or loudly enough.

You're all over the map in your "explanations" and "arguments," and like your spirit animal political compatriots, virtually none of them make sense.

First off, where have I been talking about Trump or Democrats???

Second, the point about borders was that major international destinations like SK and Taiwan managed to do this. Those are not places with few visitors.

Yes, the USA has more people but it also has greater resources. Why those weren’t applied to a proper control strategy is a legitimate question. I don’t accept the argument that America’s population size means its medical responses to pandemics should be worse than the response in far less wealthy countries.

Then there’s that whole bizarre argument that COVID isn’t bad at all, which pervades this thread. It’s legitimate to point out that while you are going after NY for returning covid patients to nursing homes, you’ve got people in this very thread saying that spreading Covid is just natural immunisation and that if old people die well that’s just a “nudge” for someone already on the way out.

Frankly, talking about spirit animals and Democrats looks frantic and all over the place. I’m quoting sources that show the impact of COVID (and seeing people claim it’s fake and COVID isn’t bad) and giving examples of countries that didn’t have nearly the per capita death and illness rate the USA did. You’re the one talking about Trump vs Democrats on Covid failure, not me.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5089 on: March 25, 2021, 07:37:43 PM »
And no one said that at all. In fact I mentioned that SK assigned monitors to visitors*. Something the size and culture of the US would never allow. Seriously, I've never seen anyone put words in people's mouths and deflect as much as you do. You might want to think about signing up to your covid derangement group yourself.

*https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/how-south-korea-has-eliminated-coronavirus-risk-foreign-travelers-n1240957

Yet somehow you think that a country 99 times larger. with a population 6 times greater, than SK could do the same kind of monitoring.

Why can’t a country 99 times larger with one of the worlds largest economies work out a solution that controls the spread of the virus???? That seems like resignation to being less capable of protecting your people than other countries, which is something you should hold politicians accountable for.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5090 on: March 25, 2021, 07:37:59 PM »
 :facepalm:  He's back for more, guys!!! :O  [popcorn] [popcorn]

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5091 on: March 25, 2021, 07:47:56 PM »
There's a sale at Penny's!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5092 on: March 25, 2021, 08:36:23 PM »
Why can’t a country 99 times larger with one of the worlds largest economies work out a solution that controls the spread of the virus???? That seems like resignation to being less capable of protecting your people than other countries, which is something you should hold politicians accountable for.

Doing the things that would slow the entry of infected travelers was labeled racist and xenophobic by your libtard fellow travelers.  The measures that were taken did far more economic damage than was warranted for this disease. Because this mess got so politicized we will never know the what the real effects were. I do know that quarantining sick people away from at risk people makes more sense than sending sick people in to "target rich" environments like nursing homes. I'm pretty sure the democrat governors that did that will never be held accountable, mostly because libtards don't hold their fellow libtards accountable.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5093 on: March 25, 2021, 08:41:02 PM »
Then there’s that whole bizarre argument that COVID isn’t bad at all, which pervades this thread. It’s legitimate to point out that while you are going after NY for returning covid patients to nursing homes, you’ve got people in this very thread saying that spreading Covid is just natural immunisation and that if old people die well that’s just a “nudge” for someone already on the way out.
I believe I have been very clear that there are people for whom covid is very dangerous. For the vast majority of people (myself included) it is not very serious at all, or is only a minor risk.

It can be simultaneously true that sick people intentionally sent in to nursing homes full of the most-at-risk individuals is evil and that the risk to the nursing home residents’ grandkids is hardly worth mentioning.

Knowing this, reasonable policy and personal decisions can be made to protect those at legitimate risk while not - you know - welding people into their apartments, or arresting people for having the temerity to speak out against lockdowns.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5094 on: March 25, 2021, 11:30:39 PM »
https://slate.com/technology/2021/03/excel-error-spain-child-covid-death-rate.html

An interesting article about COVID data accuracy and how it has been a moving target due to software issues.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5095 on: March 26, 2021, 06:24:54 AM »

Because your fellow travellers used the virus to do everything they could to damage the economy, trample on freedoms and advance their political careers. Your side didn’t want to do anything that made actual sense, instead you bullied the rest of us with your scare tactics and complete made up bullshit to do all kinds of outrageous actions.

The final straw from me was when your side stepped right all over the first amendment to keep churches from congregating BUT the BLM *expletive deleted*s were allowed to gather by the thousands  to burn, loot, and murder all summer long. The spin that was used to justify that was neck snapping.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5096 on: March 26, 2021, 06:47:27 AM »
And let's not forget NY Gov. Cuomo finally being able to employ the liberal's wet dream of death panels to remove the useless elderly...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5097 on: March 26, 2021, 08:30:27 AM »

On the one hand, it's because some of our states, like NY and PA, decided to shove elderly Covid patients into nursing homes. That happened in states that won't hold the leadership accountable, because too many voters in those states value anti-Trump "resistance" and "woke" identity politics over human life. Cuomo may yet be punished, but only because he is of the lower caste, and is accused of crimes against those of a slightly higher caste. (As in the aforementioned case of George Zimmerman.)

On the other hand, if you still want to shame the Red-staters for the Covid response in places like Florida or South Dakota, meh. Some of us will only tolerate so much of government "protecting us" from things like viruses. We're still able to understand that such "protection" may harm us in the long run, and may overshadow more important things, like our individual liberties. None of which means the more vulnerable can't be protected, of course.

It's interesting to think what might have transpired, if early Covid response in the U.S. hadn't been sidetracked by Democrats downplaying it, just to be in opposition to the President. If some blue states had been more rational about who to put in nursing homes. If American institutions hadn't sacrificed their credibility on the altar of Leftism.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5098 on: March 26, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
And let's not forget NY Gov. Cuomo finally being able to employ the liberal's wet dream of death panels to remove the useless elderly...

America: sends an Army mobile hospital for covid and a Navy hospital ship for not covid.
New York City: clears hospitals of not covid patients and bolsters staff.

Cuomo: sends covid patients to nursing homes and the hospital ship.  Army hospital remains empty, local hospitals remain underutilized.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #5099 on: March 26, 2021, 12:39:53 PM »
I came across this yesterday. It's a woman in LA that owns a small funeral home reacting to the overwhelming number of bodies she has to deal with due to covid. This was filmed in late January this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpSgEQKVNE&t=270s

She also does a fair amount of complaining about the lack of assistance being provided by the government.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht