Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 450091 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #5450 on: August 01, 2021, 10:13:56 PM »
A cousin in Germany telegrammed me (at 0400, because he can't do math) that demonstrations are starting up there due to new and reinstated restrictions. Lots of demonstrator/cop interactions apparently.

https://www.epochtimes.de/politik/deutschland/corona-demonstration-polizeihelikopter-im-einsatz-wasserwerfer-stehen-bereit-a3566042.html

I did read that unlike here, they take covid recovery and natural immunity into account and are asking people for proof of vaccination OR proof of having had the virus.

What if you are one of those people who has neither been vaccinated NOR had the disease?  Somebody who, for some reason, doesn't even GET this "disease"?
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5451 on: August 01, 2021, 11:19:39 PM »
What if you are one of those people who has neither been vaccinated NOR had the disease?  Somebody who, for some reason, doesn't even GET this "disease"?

Probably stay the hell away from the vax,  and enjoy NOT having all the stupid side effects of the disease itself or the vaccine.  I remember when coffee was the most glorious smell ever.  Now it just smells like sulfur.  I still drink it, as I'm hopeless addicted to the stuff but the delightful smell is dead and gone.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5452 on: August 02, 2021, 12:06:20 AM »
Probably stay the hell away from the vax,  and enjoy NOT having all the stupid side effects of the disease itself or the vaccine.  I remember when coffee was the most glorious smell ever.  Now it just smells like sulfur.  I still drink it, as I'm hopeless addicted to the stuff but the delightful smell is dead and gone.

That is sad.
Over 35 years ago, I was working in a place with lots of solvents and I used to be able to tell MEK from MIBK or xylene or toluene by the smell.  As a result, I haven't been able to smell flowers or other mild/weak smells for over 20 years.  Strong smells like gasoline, natural gas, wood smoke, "Pepe LePew", etc., I can smell.  Even bacon that I am frying is a borderline smell.
  =(
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #5453 on: August 02, 2021, 10:31:19 AM »
That is sad.
Over 35 years ago, I was working in a place with lots of solvents and I used to be able to tell MEK from MIBK or xylene or toluene by the smell.  As a result, I haven't been able to smell flowers or other mild/weak smells for over 20 years.  Strong smells like gasoline, natural gas, wood smoke, "Pepe LePew", etc., I can smell.  Even bacon that I am frying is a borderline smell.
  =(

I feel your pain. I used to be a somewhat heavy smoker. I now detect odors that don't exist. I'm not totally nose blind, but if I don't hear it, I can't distinguish between flatulence and fresh air ...

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5454 on: August 02, 2021, 05:28:54 PM »
That is sad.
  =(

You've got my sympathy there,  it sucks not being able to smell.  I'm a better than average cook,  and I've been off my game since.  Can't smell a dish and adjust fire accurately on seasoning anymore.  To the point where I have to ask the wife for an nose/taste alibi.  I've taken to measuring everything in the hope of recreating good food, and it's sad.

OTOH,  I'm grateful to have had a REALLY easy time with covid, I know exactly 2 people that had a bad time and wouldn't trade places with them.

Still not getting the goddamned jab.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5456 on: August 02, 2021, 05:34:39 PM »
Lindsey Graham has the 'rona ...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen-lindsey-graham-tests-positive-covid-despite-vaccinated

If you can't say something nice,  don't say anything at all.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!

That's simply awful,  and I wish for a speedy recovery for the *expletive deleted*ing tool.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #5457 on: August 02, 2021, 06:48:02 PM »
"I am very glad I was vaccinated because without vaccination I am certain I would not feel as well as I do now," he continued. "My symptoms would be far worse."

How does he know that his symptoms would have been worse?  Un-vaxxed people get the China flu and don't even know they have it. 

Statements like that piss me off.  They have no idea if what they're saying is true or not, they're just pushing an agenda.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5458 on: August 02, 2021, 07:09:54 PM »
How does he know that his symptoms would have been worse?  Un-vaxxed people get the China flu and don't even know they have it. 

Statements like that piss me off.  They have no idea if what they're saying is true or not, they're just pushing an agenda.

I think it's generally considered true that if you're vaccinated and get a breakthrough infection it will likely be less serious than if you were unvaxxed.  However, with regard to a particular individual,  your point is certainly valid.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5459 on: August 02, 2021, 10:15:13 PM »
The narrative is that if you get the 'Rona without the shots, you gonna DIE!
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5460 on: August 03, 2021, 05:50:57 AM »
I think it's generally considered true that if you're vaccinated and get a breakthrough infection it will likely be less serious than if you were unvaxxed.  However, with regard to a particular individual,  your point is certainly valid.
Can you point me to the study that shows that?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5461 on: August 03, 2021, 07:32:15 AM »
I see Home Depot has gone back to 100% masking. I have to pick something up there in a couple of days. I'm going to try going in maskless and see what happens.

Costco usually jumps on this stuff first, but I see they are still "following the regulations of state and local jurisdictions".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5462 on: August 03, 2021, 07:43:55 AM »
https://www.wfmj.com/story/44438633/home-depot-requires-workers-contractors-to-wear-masks

"The company said it is now requiring all workers, contractors, and vendors to wear a mask while inside its stores, distribution centers, offices, as well as customer’s homes and businesses.

The mask rule applies regardless of whether someone is vaccinated or not.

Home Depot says it is asking customers to mask up as well and will offer masks to those who don’t have one."

IOW, customers are not required to wear a mask, but are urged to do so.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:42:34 AM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5463 on: August 03, 2021, 07:57:24 AM »
IOW, customers are required to wear a mask, but are urged to do so.

Ah, ok. I just saw the "masks required" thing on the news just now. They didn't make the distinction.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5464 on: August 03, 2021, 08:34:59 AM »
My work just reinstated mask requirements indoors.  Fun. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5465 on: August 03, 2021, 08:43:18 AM »
My work just reinstated mask requirements indoors.  Fun. 

I'm really surprised that my company hasn't reissued the mask mandate out of an abundance of wokeness.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #5466 on: August 03, 2021, 09:43:04 AM »
I'm really surprised that my company hasn't reissued the mask mandate out of an abundance of wokeness.

Mine has: "Per recent Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) revised guidance, fully vaccinated people are to wear masks in indoor settings in areas of substantial or high transmission. The majority of our U.S. sites are currently in areas of substantial or high transmission. Therefore, all U.S. site-based employees, third-party workers and visitors will be required to wear a face mask at all times while onsite, effective Tuesday, August 3."

The bolding is the same as in the original.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5467 on: August 03, 2021, 10:03:12 AM »
Can you point me to the study that shows that?

It's a information bit that's been pretty widely reported in the media, cable news, etc.  I don't know of any "studies,"  but I suspect that if there are any, they might be inconclusive or even contradictory.

I've read studies showing masks were inneffective, and others claiming they are.  I've seen videos of people  spraying aerosols through various masks, showing some appear to block the spray while others appear not to block anything .... yet viruses are so tiny they easily penetrate even the "effective" masks.

I do not think masks really do much .... atleast for a virus.

Even regular flu vaccines don't work 100%  I've seen some that were claimed to work even as low as 50%.   We were told that the mRNA vaccines were @95% effective.  In a country of 330,000,000 people a five percent failure rate is still a whole heckuva lot of people, numbers wise.  We should not be surprised or alarmed at these breakthrough cases, or be shocked our malignant myrmidon media malcontents would hype this to cause panic and garner ratings.

If you look at the  mortality rate of this latest spike,  it's way down from the earlier variant (s).  Deaths have pretty effectively been "decoupled" from cases.

One can attribute this to possibly  (A.)  The vaccines are working, even if to ameliorate symptoms in break through cases, (B.)  The D version of THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN - - - - - oooops, covid 19 is less fatal than the original variant, or (C.) Both A and B.

I am not a biophysicist, virologist, biomolecular transcendentalist, or a wizard, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.  But   ....  that's my two cents.   

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5468 on: August 03, 2021, 10:08:52 AM »
There is no evidence that vaccines reduce symptoms in case of breakthrough infection. At least I've never seen any. But it's been repeated by the media so many times it's become common knowledge. Interestingly, nothing seems to be being done about stopping the spread if this misinformation, I guess because a lie in service to the cause is ok.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5469 on: August 03, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »
There is indirect evidence in the number of deaths that  vaccines do work even if imperfectly.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5470 on: August 03, 2021, 10:30:04 AM »
Some of that could be because a lot of the people getting the vaccine are people with comorbidities who were more likely to die from COVID in the first place. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5471 on: August 03, 2021, 11:19:48 AM »
A hell of a lot of people died WITH the 'Rona who were basically on the way out anyway...

That's how you get headlines.
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5472 on: August 03, 2021, 12:03:42 PM »
There is indirect evidence in the number of deaths that  vaccines do work even if imperfectly.
A big part of the drop in deaths compared to cases is that treatments have improved.  A lot of treatments done initially were found to actually be counterproductive and resulted in much higher death rate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought