Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440281 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #6075 on: September 23, 2021, 05:18:04 AM »
Most employers require a positive test for you to get your fancy COVID two weeks.

It's not like calling in sick on Monday after a party.

We’ve had an employee gin up two “positive” result notifications and get two periods of COVID vacation, and brag about it. One miraculous positive result struck three days after he got back from a normal week’s vacation. He also got caught literally falsifying clockins and nothing, not even a write up happened to him.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6076 on: September 23, 2021, 07:46:33 AM »
We’ve had an employee gin up two “positive” result notifications and get two periods of COVID vacation, and brag about it. One miraculous positive result struck three days after he got back from a normal week’s vacation. He also got caught literally falsifying clockins and nothing, not even a write up happened to him.

Friend had a coworker pull that last year.

It didn't end well for the guy who tried it. He was terminated AND the company was apparently making noises about going after him for the cost of the office deep clean/sanitation cycle they went through when he reported have the Kung.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6077 on: September 23, 2021, 03:07:13 PM »
Most employers require a positive test for you to get your fancy COVID two weeks.

It's not like calling in sick on Monday after a party.

I just told 'em my wife tested positive. Got my virus vacation.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6078 on: September 23, 2021, 07:47:34 PM »
At walmart all you have to do is be exposed to someone with the China Flu and you get 10 paid days off.  If you test positive, it's 14 days.

Some people employed there (can't say they "work") are still employed after numerous 10 day vacations.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6079 on: September 24, 2021, 07:22:34 AM »
Costco is reinstituting purchase limits on some products, including bottled water and toilet paper.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/23/costco-brings-back-purchase-limits-on-toilet-paper-and-more.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6080 on: September 24, 2021, 01:06:23 PM »
So, interestingly, I'm wondering if I just had the Delta variant. The problem with the covid is that nobody seems to get a cold or flu anymore - if you have symptoms, it must be the covids!

Yet, looking up Delta symptoms, I had a runny nose a few days ago, then a stuffy nose (both how I usually get a cold), but then yesterday had a raging headache and felt like I was burning up, but with no fever, and super tired. Same tired feeling that I had when I got the covid last November, but not as bad. I only rarely get headaches, and never with a cold or flu.

The latter symptoms seem to be common Delta symptoms. Anyway, yesterday I had to quit doing anything around noon, then just laid in my recliner all afternoon and went to bed early. I did the super doses of immune boosters, and drank some night time Theraflu right before bed. Slept like a rock, and this morning I feel 90% better.

So it could be that I caught Delta. If I were still feeling crappy today, I might have gotten tested, but it's not worth it now, and if I did have it, it seems my natural antibodies from Covid A made it mild, and now I have Delta antibodies.  :laugh:

Don't know how I might have caught it. My reading says that "they" still say "within six feet of someone for more than 15 minutes", and I haven't been. Anyways...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6081 on: September 25, 2021, 09:12:03 AM »
Soon the Covid will have infected all of humanity and the world will be left to the 99.95% of humanity who survive.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 09:34:00 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6082 on: September 25, 2021, 09:25:25 AM »
My wife and I had a conversation with a couple of Australian ex-pat ladies about COVID in Australia. Their mom had to return to Australia to visit some family still there and was appalled by the conditions there. It was funny to hear the opposite view of our US expat in Australia from Australian ex-pats in the US. They did say that most Australians were supportive of the quarantine measures despite the ladies we were talking to considering them to be horrifying.

I think between the enforced quarantine hotel and the fact that to return to the US she was required to buy a business class ticket for some reason it ended up costing more than $9,000 more than it usually would.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6083 on: September 25, 2021, 10:47:08 AM »
Costco is reinstituting purchase limits on some products, including bottled water and toilet paper.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/23/costco-brings-back-purchase-limits-on-toilet-paper-and-more.html

I heard an interesting analysis this morning. While the MSM is doing direct links to covid for Costco's decision, apparently a Costco exec has said it's only part of the issue. The other part  is supply chain issues. Costco has leased a half dozen cargo ships in hopes of keeping up with 2022, let alone 2021.

They also said inflation is playing a role in that their costs continue to rise, and if someone is told something they buy for $1 this week is going to be $1.50 next week, they are going to hoard this week.

They expect to be in short supply for a lot of stuff for holiday purchasing. If I want that 65" TV, maybe I'd better get it now.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6084 on: September 26, 2021, 07:24:20 AM »
"So, interestingly, I'm wondering if I just had the Delta variant."

So, you had the Covids, and now you think you had the Super Covids...

I think we're just going to call you Vector from now on.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6085 on: September 26, 2021, 07:29:19 AM »
I heard an interesting analysis this morning. While the MSM is doing direct links to covid for Costco's decision, apparently a Costco exec has said it's only part of the issue. The other part  is supply chain issues. Costco has leased a half dozen cargo ships in hopes of keeping up with 2022, let alone 2021.

They also said inflation is playing a role in that their costs continue to rise, and if someone is told something they buy for $1 this week is going to be $1.50 next week, they are going to hoard this week.

They expect to be in short supply for a lot of stuff for holiday purchasing. If I want that 65" TV, maybe I'd better get it now.  :laugh:

NO NO NO! All Covid, because... TRUMP! TRUMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Of course MSN is beating the covid drum for everything from mass shootings to puppies peeing on the carpets. Gotta beat that analysis drum because it helps promotes Biden's "you're an evil Trump hugger if you don't get your jab" agenda.

I wouldn't trust MSN's analysis of their own diaper contents, to be perfectly honest.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6086 on: September 26, 2021, 07:59:09 AM »
According to the CDC and other sources I've read, reinfection is incredibly rare.

If reinfection were a thing I suspect it would be blaring 24/7 from every media outlet.

Have they actually isolated a true "Delta variant" or are they just basing the variant designation on observed symptoms that differ from the original infection?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6087 on: September 26, 2021, 08:08:09 AM »
Well, we just had our summer colds...

Some old and very sick people died, as they have EVERY summer cold season in the past.

We're now heading into cold and flu winter, which is now known as Teh Covids, which will result in more old and very sick people dying.

If you would just wear your mask, we would all be immortal.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6088 on: September 26, 2021, 08:19:43 AM »

Have they actually isolated a true "Delta variant" or are they just basing the variant designation on observed symptoms that differ from the original infection?

It's a different variant with a distinct genome.

https://gvn.org/covid-19/delta-b-1-617-2/

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6089 on: September 26, 2021, 08:29:22 AM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6090 on: September 26, 2021, 09:21:08 AM »
It's a different variant with a distinct genome.

https://gvn.org/covid-19/delta-b-1-617-2/

Dammit, once again only vaccine efficacy is mentioned, and nothing about Covid A natural immunity antibody efficacy to the Delta.

I'm starting to feel like I need to demand 40 acres and a mule.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6091 on: September 26, 2021, 10:47:36 AM »
Dammit, once again only vaccine efficacy is mentioned, and nothing about Covid A natural immunity antibody efficacy to the Delta.

I'm starting to feel like I need to demand 40 acres and a mule.

From the link (which is a little  old, but the first one I found with the genome info):

Vaccine Efficacy

Use of  a live virus assay showed that the B.1.617.1 variant is 6.8-fold more resistant to neutralization by sera from COVID-19 convalescent and Moderna and Pfizer vaccinated individuals.

Despite this, a majority of the sera from convalescent individuals and all sera from vaccinated individuals were still able to neutralize the B.1.617.1 variant.

Protective immunity by the mRNA vaccines tested here are likely retained against the B.1.617.1 variant. This needs to be further evaluated by evaluating clinical data from vaccinated individuals.

In the U.K. trial, efficacy of 2-dose Pfizer vaccine against this variant was 87.9% (93.4% against B.1.1.7); 2-dose AstraZeneca showed 59.8% efficacy against this variant and 66.1% against B.1.1.7.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6093 on: September 26, 2021, 11:09:19 AM »
That first link read to me like it found some particularly potent antibodies, among the more "average" antibodies.

Which is neat to me, as I didn't think you had a range of antibody variants,  but I guess it makes sense.  I wonder if there is any way to select for the varsity antibodies.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6096 on: September 27, 2021, 10:50:02 PM »
Today, my 10-6 called in, said he would be late. Never showed.

(I was there at 0715)

The 12-8 showed up around 1300, IIRC.

5-10 #1 showed up spot on, as is normal for him.

5-10 #2 was about a half hour late, Which, frankly, is a lot better than we expected.

I'm tired.

I got out at 1735 or so.
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #6097 on: September 27, 2021, 11:51:26 PM »
Covid is apparently fighting back.  According to this article, cells that the Wu-flu have infected and "damaged" are producing a protein that is protecting those damaged cells from the body's immune system.

https://news.yahoo.com/protein-found-infected-cells-protects-191347885.html
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6098 on: September 28, 2021, 06:55:30 AM »
Today, my 10-6 called in, said he would be late. Never showed.

(I was there at 0715)

The 12-8 showed up around 1300, IIRC.

5-10 #1 showed up spot on, as is normal for him.

5-10 #2 was about a half hour late, Which, frankly, is a lot better than we expected.

I'm tired.

I got out at 1735 or so.

*expletive deleted*ing fire them.

It's better to know your going to be short and plan around it than think you will have help that never shows.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6099 on: September 28, 2021, 11:52:21 AM »
I'm not, as yet, convinced there will be "widespread" firings.  Again the Local hospitals are where I have firsthand knowledge from people there and the chance to listen in on meetings.  Around here hospital staff is low to mid 80%'s vaccinated, and people treating COVID is upper 90%'s vaccinated.  Not all of those are going to quit/be fired over this. So while 5-10% staffing drop will be very bad, That's not "widespread" (IMO) and it tends to not be in critical areas.  Other areas may differ.

Going back to this post from a couple weeks ago, I ran across this blurb on the net today:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-york-hospitals-fire-unvaccinated-staff/vi-AAOTxSw?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

The firings are starting.  I think NY is the first state to pull the trigger (so to speak) and it looks to be more people than I originally thought would quit/get fired over it.  I talked to Mrs. Mush again last night, and her hospital is hovering in the mid 80%s of employee vaccinations, with Dr.s being higher, nurses kinda average, and support staff lower than the overall number.  There hasn't been a surge in new vaccinations in response to the pending mandate, but I don't think her hospital has decided on how they are going to enforce it yet.  (Her hospital admin has been publicly saying they wouldn't mandate if left up to them).

NYS said they were looking at 16% or so of their 450,000 healthcare workers.  If that number holds steady as other states and systems start enforcing the mandate, I will have been wrong, and there will likely be a real problem.

Related:
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/09/27/covid-19-vaccination-rates-among-lapd-and-lafd-well-behind-county-residents/

and

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/09/27/massachusetts-state-police-covid-vaccine-mandate-resignations/