Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440048 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #7300 on: April 13, 2023, 11:53:35 AM »
Anyone else notice that the virus, which is doubtlessly mutating, has not had any new names given to it? I suspect that the media noticed that people were making fun of that...
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7301 on: April 13, 2023, 05:02:30 PM »
XBB.1.16, dubbed “Arcturus” by variant trackers, is very similar to U.S. dominant “Kraken” XBB.1.5—the most transmissible COVID variant yet, Maria Van Kerkhove, COVID-19 technical lead for the WHO, said earlier this week at a news conference.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7302 on: April 13, 2023, 07:14:49 PM »
The variants are out there, they're still being named.

The difference is that now that the White House/Fauchi etc. have stopped hammering the panic button it's no longer newsworthy according to the various government-aligned news organs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7303 on: April 13, 2023, 07:58:25 PM »
It was just announced here in Idaho that for the two largest health providers, masks will no longer be required in medical facilities. I expect the rest will follow suit. Medical facilities were the last holdouts here on masking.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7304 on: April 13, 2023, 09:49:40 PM »
I think Mayo Clinic just dropped their mask requirements at the end of March.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7305 on: April 13, 2023, 09:54:48 PM »
Medical facilities around here have had requirements up and down for months but were down the last few times we visited.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 10:58:10 AM by cordex »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7306 on: April 14, 2023, 10:35:31 AM »
It was just announced here in Idaho that for the two largest health providers, masks will no longer be required in medical facilities. I expect the rest will follow suit. Medical facilities were the last holdouts here on masking.

Now let's see if California, Oregon and Washington follow Idaho's lead.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7307 on: April 14, 2023, 10:48:31 AM »
:rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7308 on: April 14, 2023, 11:09:44 AM »
Just got an e-mail that my employer is dropping the corporate mandate that anyone entering one of our worksites be vaccinated, and be able to show proof of vaccination.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7309 on: April 14, 2023, 11:15:20 AM »
Just got an e-mail that my employer is dropping the corporate mandate that anyone entering one of our worksites be vaccinated, and be able to show proof of vaccination.

Thankfully my employer never required the jab.  Nor did my new employer.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7310 on: April 14, 2023, 12:27:49 PM »
Thankfully my employer never required the jab.  Nor did my new employer.

My employer did, I think as a way of forcing-out employees.  They also made it very hard to comply with the policy even if you had the vaccines unless you loaded their vaccine passport app on your personal cellphone and used it to upload your PHI.  I saw that as a conflict of interest* and refused to do it, but I did manage upload the data w/o the app and w/o using any of my personal data equipment (cell phone camera, scanner, real digicam, etc) I had great reservations about even doing that because I don't trust them to keep the data secure.  OTOH, what harm would it do to me if that particular data got leaked and it would do great harm to their reputation.

*They were developing this app to sell to other companies, and by coercing employees into using it they boosted their installed user base stats significantly.  I mentioned this in their Slack channel and gave the procedure I used to get around it
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7311 on: April 14, 2023, 12:48:32 PM »
:rofl:

How do you tell a healthcare worker in Washington state: They have several masks scattered around in their car so they can grab one and put it on before walking into work.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7312 on: April 14, 2023, 02:01:55 PM »

From what I read, both St Lukes and St Alphonsus are doing it in their facilities in OR. I don't know if they have any in WA.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7313 on: April 14, 2023, 04:34:30 PM »
Well, given that I currently have acquired some form of Crud, probably from the idjit 20 year old who came to work sick, it is comforting to know that it might be Kraken. UNLEASH THE KRAKEN!
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7314 on: April 14, 2023, 08:14:53 PM »
How do you tell a healthcare worker in Washington state: They have several masks scattered around in their car so they can grab one and put it on before walking into work.

I was driving on I-66 (interstate in Virginia) on Wednesday and passed through a cloud of masks. Someone must have put a big box of them on the roof of their car and driven off. They hit the road and... masks everywhere.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7315 on: April 14, 2023, 08:58:07 PM »
In my neighborhood... The hipsters are often masked, in order to show solidarity and virtue.

The other group tends to be older people, often minorities.

And we still have folks wearing Ninja hoods, sunglasses, hoodies and masks.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7317 on: April 16, 2023, 09:19:36 AM »
Interesting timing. Did the court wait for Newsom to finish his Red State Fascism Awareness tour before they brought the hammer down? Or is he still out there?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7318 on: April 18, 2023, 11:51:25 PM »
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2803749?guestAccessKey=c2800665-1256-40d6-b552-8b5c852517c2&utm_source=silverchair&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=article_alert-jama&utm_content=olf&utm_term=040623

In the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, 2 US studies suggested that people hospitalized for COVID-19 had nearly 5 times the risk of 30-day mortality compared with those hospitalized for seasonal influenza.1,2 Since then, much has changed, including SARS-CoV-2 itself, clinical care, and population-level immunity; mortality from influenza may have also changed. This study assessed whether COVID-19 remains associated with higher risk of death compared with seasonal influenza in fall-winter 2022-2023.

the difference in mortality rates between COVID-19 and influenza appears to have decreased since early in the pandemic; death rates among people hospitalized for COVID-19 were 17% to 21% in 2020 vs 6% in this study, while death rates for those hospitalized for influenza were 3.8% in 2020 vs 3.7% in this study.1,2 The decline in death rates among people hospitalized for COVID-19 may be due to changes in SARS-CoV-2 variants, increased immunity levels (from vaccination and prior infection), and improved clinical care.5

The increased risk of death was greater among unvaccinated individuals compared with those vaccinated or boosted—findings that highlight the importance of vaccination in reducing risk of COVID-19 death.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7319 on: April 19, 2023, 11:48:09 AM »
I would postulate that the death rate has decreased largely due to the "low hanging fruit" having already been picked. The tendency to intubate as initial therapy in some areas could have bumped those numbers. Couple that with less patient care due to healthcare workers not showing up due to media promulgated fear, caused a hump in the graph - but I suspect we're seeing a trough after the fact... I need to look harder...

I would also postulate that vaccinated/unvaccinated was only one of the potential differences... The vaccinated population quite likely was healthier/more affluent to begin with, more likely to pay attention to physicians/caregivers...

Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7320 on: April 19, 2023, 12:07:30 PM »
I would postulate that the death rate has decreased largely due to the "low hanging fruit" having already been picked. The tendency to intubate as initial therapy in some areas could have bumped those numbers. Couple that with less patient care due to healthcare workers not showing up due to media promulgated fear, caused a hump in the graph - but I suspect we're seeing a trough after the fact... I need to look harder...

I would also postulate that vaccinated/unvaccinated was only one of the potential differences... The vaccinated population quite likely was healthier/more affluent to begin with, more likely to pay attention to physicians/caregivers...

That was certainly not the case here.  It was pretty much all hands on deck in hospitals for all of 2020.  If they didn't show up, they got fired.

The biggest difference is likely that the later variants of COVID are less serious.  Which is how viral evolution normally works.  It gets more contagious but less severe over time.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7321 on: April 20, 2023, 01:11:10 AM »
We had hospitals here that were mostly shut down, and a lot of services were delayed or cancelled. I suspect that if someone had a heart attack while waiting, that went down as a Covid...
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7322 on: April 28, 2023, 07:41:35 AM »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7323 on: April 28, 2023, 07:48:19 AM »
And don't forget CNN was all for it at the time.
I'm sure they're hoping you don't remember that little detail.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7324 on: April 28, 2023, 09:18:04 AM »
FWIW, had a nasty cold a couple of weeks ago, and still gackhing up chunkies... Not pneumonia, but a decent case of bronchitis that doesn't seem to want to leave...
Blog under construction