Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440390 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #7325 on: April 28, 2023, 02:45:47 PM »
...a decent case of bronchitis that doesn't seem to want to leave...

Bronchitis never wants to leave. Gotta call a priest for that stuff.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7326 on: April 28, 2023, 04:02:00 PM »
FWIW, had a nasty cold a couple of weeks ago, and still gackhing up chunkies... Not pneumonia, but a decent case of bronchitis that doesn't seem to want to leave...
A coworker used to take an inhaler for that. 

He quit smoking the last couple years and his pretty much went away.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7327 on: April 28, 2023, 05:57:53 PM »
Quitting smoking? That was 1984, the day before I reported for basic, and it wasn't tobacco...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7328 on: April 28, 2023, 06:42:11 PM »
Was talking to my neighbor who works at MSD (Metropolitan Sewer District) and he said they still have to take a COVID test every week. I was like What the....?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #7329 on: April 28, 2023, 10:52:45 PM »
Since I haven't shown up for dinner in a while, I missed the whole covid ranting I'm certain took place on here (and I don't have the energy at the moment to read back through 200-somthing posts/pages).
But since I'm here, I'll add my $.02.

I didn't get vaxed, I only wore a mask when I absolutely had to have something in a specific place that required it, never wore gloves, and I have not had so much as a sniffle since before the whole covid mess started.
Yep, I know plenty of people who tested positive (and a couple who died but with comorbidities), and yep, I live 15 miles from the smallest bit of civilization and 30 miles from a slightly bigger bit of civilization, and yep, I kept up my normally curmudgeonly hermit ways because people annoy the f*** out of me. But still.
Let me go out on a limb here and state that stupidity and sheep-like mentality was the real pandemic. THREE years later and I still see people riding down the road, alone in their vehicle, wearing a flippin' mask.  :facepalm:

Though I have had to wonder this past couple years if there might have been something in the "preventative measure" doses (we need a vaccine icon) that altered the mentality of everyone under the age of 40 who received it. Based on the complete lack of work ethic, the overzealous sense of entitlement and the whiny-crybaby-sniveling-wounded attitude of an entire generation that's evolved in the past couple years, and don't even get me started on the whole pronoun thing. (With the exception of Rambo, Jocassee and others here of your generation I know to be solid citizens and human beings.)

Seriously, WTF is going on with people these days? Every business I know of (seriously, every single one of my advertisers and every business owner I know) is short-staffed and can't find employees who actually show up and want to work. And yet, the housing market has skyrocketed. How can houses be selling above asking price the day they're listed when most businesses are seriously understaffed, which means people aren't working.

Local folks will post on the community FB page asking for someone to come help them with stuff around the house like cutting grass or hauling stuff off and when they offer $15-$20/hour, they get scathing comments about wanting slave labor. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I remember an age when I'd have been GRATEFUL to make $20/hour.

And don't even get me started on supply chain issues.   

The only thing I'm certain of, is that this whole mess was an exercise in how to topple and divide this country in under a month. Mission accomplished. And you can bet many in power this past few years took careful notes and this WILL happen again on a much larger scale.

Yeah, I know, thread veer. I might be a little pissed off at the moment.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7330 on: April 28, 2023, 11:40:41 PM »
We need a LIKE button.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7331 on: April 29, 2023, 12:37:58 AM »
Covid only revealed how weak and empty-headed Americans have become, since we abandoned the proper regard for God in our lives. This has been building for a long time.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7332 on: April 29, 2023, 01:34:17 AM »
We need a LIKE button.

I believe that we can enable just such a feature.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7333 on: April 29, 2023, 01:41:10 AM »
Nope, I was wrong.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7334 on: April 29, 2023, 06:15:15 AM »
Was talking to my neighbor who works at MSD (Metropolitan Sewer District) and he said they still have to take a COVID test every week. I was like What the....?

When a bureaucracy starts doing something, it is almost impossible to stop.

no wonder we're paying major cash for that service. I think that my sewer bill is bigger than my electric some months.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7335 on: April 29, 2023, 06:20:28 AM »
And I had the crud a couple of weeks ago. Still gackhing, still short of breath, but I can't take time off. Not that I don't have banked time off - If I take time off, someone else has to cover. And there isn't that someone else who isn't also strung out...
Blog under construction

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7336 on: April 29, 2023, 07:57:14 AM »

Though I have had to wonder this past couple years if there might have been something in the "preventative measure" doses (we need a vaccine icon) that altered the mentality of everyone under the age of 40 who received it. Based on the complete lack of work ethic, the overzealous sense of entitlement and the whiny-crybaby-sniveling-wounded attitude of an entire generation that's evolved in the past couple years, and don't even get me started on the whole pronoun thing. (With the exception of Rambo, Jocassee and others here of your generation I know to be solid citizens and human beings.)

Seriously, WTF is going on with people these days? Every business I know of (seriously, every single one of my advertisers and every business owner I know) is short-staffed and can't find employees who actually show up and want to work. And yet, the housing market has skyrocketed. How can houses be selling above asking price the day they're listed when most businesses are seriously understaffed, which means people aren't working.

This started long before covid. I recall hearing other parents saying their kids just don't want to get a job and move out for the last fifteen years.

Yeah, I know, thread veer. I might be a little pissed off at the moment.

I've a sneaking suspicion this started long before covid as well.   :rofl:
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #7337 on: April 29, 2023, 09:52:25 AM »

That could possibly be a correct suspicion.  :rofl:

And yes, we do need a like button!

I know a lot of this started before covid, but seems like covid amplified a lot of it too. Read an interesting article a while back that traced a lot of this whiny-sniveling back to 2012. I'll see if I can find it and share it. A very LONG read, but a very interesting one as well.

I love my kids, of course, and for the most part they're decent human beings. But all three have developed some strains of the millennial flu. In the last three years, I've been accused of being racist because I defended my brother for posting a humorous meme about how long before we're no longer allowed to sort our laundry by colors and whites. I've been accused of microaggressions because of my facial expressions when speaking - don't like my micro-aggressiveness? You'll most certainly be offended by the macro version! And one hasn't been speaking to me for the past two years because I allowed the public school to hold him back in 6th grade (after an entire school year of trying to force him to do his homework and study for tests) and therefore I ruined his self-esteem and his life ever since. No matter that public schools (at least at that time) didn't give the parents a choice in the matter, or that he's been on his own as an adult nearly as long as he was under my roof. All blame for what he's sees as being wrong with his life is dumped on my doorstep.
Oh, and let's not forget that I don't treat him like an equal. When he refers to me while talking with his siblings, he uses my first name, rather than mom.

I've had to just stand back and let them make their own mistakes and hope that one day, their upbringing and common sense will kick back in. But it's a frustrating journey.

Covid only revealed how weak and empty-headed Americans have become, since we abandoned the proper regard for God in our lives. This has been building for a long time.
Nailed it.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #7338 on: April 29, 2023, 10:03:08 AM »
Found it.
Like I said, a very long read, but some interesting points.

https://jonathanhaidt.substack.com/p/mental-health-liberal-girls 

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7339 on: April 29, 2023, 12:02:26 PM »
About the work ethic thing, it's best not to ignore the substantial structural changes to the economy and job markets that have occurred over the space of 1 or 2 generations. There are multiple factors that have basically upset the apple cart of the American dream. First, birth control changed the sexual dynamic and therefore the family dynamic and it's impossible to understate how big of a factor that is, since sex underpins pretty much everything else in society. That one's been working its way through the system over the last 50 years or so, spinning off social movements that by themselves would be major disruptive factors, such as women in the workplace simultaneously suppressing wages and devaluing work. All at the same time, the federal government sold our industry down the river to china completely gutting opportunities for the working class, while the people and educational "system" responded by spinning up an obligatory educational burden that didn't exist the same way a generation ago. All at the same time, the boomer generation destroyed the ability for young families to live in our cities and engineered a housing shortage that upcoming generations will have to pay the bill for.

Society is fragile and things like the job market rest on certain assumptions and dymanics. Such as, if I get a job I can afford food and shelter. If I can afford food and shelter, I can get a sexual partner. If I can get a sexual partner I can reproduce/support my children. If you remove these dynamics the house of cards falls. Many homeless people are working jobs but they would literally need to work 5 simultaneous blue collar jobs just to afford rent. The assumptions that previous generations had do not hold anymore. The most important being the sexual dynamic.  The kids aren't just lazy.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #7340 on: April 29, 2023, 05:52:45 PM »
I’m not even going to get into women in the workplace. Yet. And I agree about our industry being sold down the river to China or third world countries where slave labor actually IS a thing.

However, that “obligatory educational burden” is a CHOICE that younger generations willingly accepted, when a less expensive and more practical avenue would have been training in skilled trades, which would have not only shored up our failing infrastructure, but also in the long term, strengthened our economy. Not to mention made responsible adults of them. But younger generations don’t WANT to work in the trades because it’s actual work, not sitting behind a desk with a $300 noose around your neck.

There was a time when an honest day’s work was a source of pride. But today’s youth show up with their phones in hand, refuse to take starting positions because the work’s too hard, want pay scales beyond their experience or skill level, and call out of work anytime it inconveniences their gaming marathon.

I don’t think “blue collar” means what you think it means. Blue collar is typically skilled labor – mechanics, builders, welders, sheet metal workers, etc. All of which pay very livable wages, even at the apprenticeship level. Those five jobs you’re referring to? Sure, if you’re talking about fast food, retail, or other jobs that are GREAT for teenagers, but were never intended to support a family of four. And you can't tell me people can't find jobs right now when every business I know of is short-handed and can't keep employees.

“The assumptions of the previous generations” – that’s the same of EVERY generation. The younger generations aren’t special in that regard either. We all have it different than our parents and grandparents did, regardless of what generation you are. That’s not a reason, that’s an excuse. As adults, we all have to adapt to societal norms of the time, or work our asses off to be able to pave our own way against the grain. 

Now. You wanna talk about women in the workplace?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7341 on: April 29, 2023, 07:28:30 PM »
However, that “obligatory educational burden” is a CHOICE that younger generations willingly accepted

The vast majority of jobs require college education now. That wasn't the case a generation or two ago. How is this caused by younger generations "willingly accepting" anything, when 65-75% of open jobs now require a bachelor's degree?

Blue collar is typically skilled labor – mechanics, builders, welders, sheet metal workers, etc. All of which pay very livable wages, even at the apprenticeship level.

Citation needed. All available figures show that real wages have fallen even as costs have skyrocketed. Are you disputing that or just prefer to ignore it? Have you ever like, walked outside your door and seen the vast areas of industry, that previously employed hundreds of thousands of people, now gone and decaying into rust and weeds? Or at best, replaced by modern factories that employ 1/10 the number of people? This is a massive structural change.

As adults, we all have to adapt to societal norms of the time

They are literally doing that.

And yes, I would be interested in hearing your perspective about women in the workplace.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7342 on: April 29, 2023, 11:19:34 PM »
This started long before covid. I recall hearing other parents saying their kids just don't want to get a job and move out for the last fifteen years.

My kids know that once graduated from high school they have 3 options.  College, get a jobs that supports themselves, or I take them to the military recruiters.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7343 on: April 30, 2023, 12:06:44 AM »
[snip]
Now. You wanna talk about women in the workplace?

Women should have access to the workplace, but it shouldn't take 2 incomes to raise a family. Choosing to stay home and raise the children and run the household is an honorable calling.  I don't know when exactly the rules changed but I believe around 1970; before that a couple applying for an home loan could only use one income (presumably the man's ) to qualify for a loan.  That was discriminatory against married women, but was it really?  That rule suppressed housing prices.  Once two incomes could be used to qualify for a home loan, prices skyrocketed.  The older generation who already owned their homes made out like bandits (but only if they sold; I bet a lot of them got screwed by property taxes), and now 2 incomes are required to buy a house.  Staying home isn't really a choice anymore, and singles were priced completely out of the market.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7344 on: April 30, 2023, 12:58:29 AM »
I wouldn't say two incomes are required, but it depends on how large of a house you want.  You need to have a decent income.  Hell, these days you need a decent income just to afford rent. 

A lot of the problem I see is kids don't know what jobs are out there.  And they don't know how to do some basic preparation to get their foot in the door for better jobs.  Where I am, the local community college has 1 or 2 year degree programs for process operations along with instrumentation/electrical stuff that can help you get started working in chemical plants.  I grew up a couple hours away and had no idea what those jobs were.  I guess the military has been a good way to bridge that and learn about more than you learned at home.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7345 on: April 30, 2023, 01:03:21 AM »
We own a 2800sf house with a 1200sf detached garage on almost 5 acres in the Puget Sound.  My wife has worked about 2 weeks since we got married over 20 years ago.

It’s all about the choices you make.  I’ll grant there was some luck in terms of timing as we bought at the bottom after the financial crisis, and no way (even with the better salary from my new job) we could afford to buy this same property today if we were otherwise in the same position as in 2010.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7346 on: April 30, 2023, 08:53:45 AM »
"I’ll grant there was some luck in terms of timing as we bought at the bottom after the financial crisis, and no way (even with the better salary from my new job) we could afford to buy this same property today if we were otherwise in the same position as in 2010."

Same for me. My ex and I bought the place I'm in now in 1993 near the bottom of the real estate dip here in Washington, DC, metro. After we split we were underwater in the place so she just walked away and signed it over to me. Scary as hell. There were a few times when I was really worried about being able to keep the place.

Now in 2023, even with my current salary, which is nearly 6 times what I was making in 1993, I wouldn't be able to afford this place. No way in hell.

But, I'm also sitting on equity that is roughly 3 to 4 times what I owe on the mortgage.

Yep, I got lucky as all hell.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7347 on: April 30, 2023, 12:09:18 PM »
Sometimes you make your own luck. 

Mrs. Mush and I looked at the housing market in 2012 and thought we had a shot to buy way more house then we would otherwise be able to.  We moved some money around, rolled the market dice and ate ramen for about 4 months until we got renters into our old place, but it's worked out for us.  We also wouldn't have been able to jump at the opportunity if we had needed a full 20% down or PMI, but hey, Gen Z can go get that VA underwriting just like I did.  How does one say "I hope the house is worth it" in Ukrainian?

Sure, it's challenging to start out as an adult now.  Way more so than in the 70's, but there are also PLENTY of opportunities out there for a young adult that can lead to home ownership and comfortable living in 10-15 years.  It make take sacrifices you would prefer not to make, but that's certainly not a new thing.  It's not even that hard, it just takes work and commitment.

Before zahc spins up again, I'm a quarter century into my working life, and we've only really been "comfy" for 8 or so years.  We had to make some choices early on and live with the outcomes, but both my wife and I pretty consistently look to constantly better ourselves, and it turns out that people will pay for that if you succeed in getting better.  Admittedly, kids would have required different choices, but the same theory applies.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7348 on: April 30, 2023, 02:01:48 PM »
Oh, I might add that we had 2 kids when we bought this property and had 2 more within 3 years afterwards.  If we hadn’t had the extra 2 kids we’d be a year away from empty nesting now.  As it is the youngest won’t be out of high school for 8 more years.  Be nice to have them off the payroll but at least the first 2 are getting close to that point.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7349 on: April 30, 2023, 04:58:45 PM »
Oh, I might add that we had 2 kids when we bought this property and had 2 more within 3 years afterwards.  If we hadn’t had the extra 2 kids we’d be a year away from empty nesting now.  As it is the youngest won’t be out of high school for 8 more years.  Be nice to have them off the payroll but at least the first 2 are getting close to that point.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams