Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440185 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2020, 09:16:53 AM »
I think that all makes sense, other than our Just in Time inventory systems in most stores. They are all set up for some set number of interactions per day. You get panic runs, and transportation won't be able to keep up.

If your average moron US resident would listen to even the bare minimum numbers the federal government puts out with 72 hours of food and water, there would likely be a good enough buffer to allow transportation to catch up to demand spike, or to allow the fed.gov to show up with MREs and water. But we have only to look at Hurricane Katrina to see how prepared people are to go even a day without a grocery store.

I've messaged several of my friends this weekend to get ready and have food on hand for at least a few weeks, all of the responses were "for what?"  :facepalm:
One of my friends, probably the smartest person I've ever met, responded 'LOLFLu' at first, I told him to google 'covid-19', 10 minutes later I got a reply back 'oh *expletive deleted*it.'
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2020, 09:34:20 AM »
I did notice that some of the long shelf life food was showing long deliveries on Amazon.  Not all of it, but some, especially the all-in-one type packages.

I haven't heard anyone around me talking about the virus, not even family.  Some of that is there isn't much we can do about it. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:58:37 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2020, 10:00:03 AM »
If we get to the point of having discussions on "what caliber for COVID-19 zombies?", I will worry a bit more. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2020, 10:46:12 AM »
I've started laying in more canned goods... Soup, beans, tomatos, etc. Also laying in and freezing things like chicken and ground turkey.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2020, 11:34:39 AM »
I've started laying in more canned goods... Soup, beans, tomatos, etc. Also laying in and freezing things like chicken and ground turkey.

We have... wait, I can't say tons, that might be taken literally in this group.... LOTS of canned goods. Probably not enough currently, but a few trips to ALDI and we should be fine.

Additionally, I always like to have at least a 10lb bag of rice in reserve, while we go through the 5lb jar in the kitchen.

I could probably get a few more dried beans. I think we only have 5 or 6 lbs of that.

We also have the 25 year shelf-life foods. One entire pantry shelf of those. That's at least one month of food there. Lots more if used in conjunction with other foods.

Our freezer (which I had to clear out late last year because the door had been left barely open for a few days and thawed nearly everything... THANKFULLY the bacon was on the bottom and remained frozen) is pretty well stocked. I think we've got 10lbs of hamburger, 15 lbs pork loin, unknown lbs of fish (probably over 10, though), and lots of miscellaneous other items (a few porkchops, some roast, a chicken, etc...)

I would like to get some more of the UHT Milk. We're down to one quart. I'd like to have at least 3 gallons.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2020, 11:49:53 AM »
Yeah, you're not prepping for the Corona virus... you're prepping for the apocalypse.

And, don't you know, that since this virus originated in Asia, by keeping rice on hand as an emergency provision just proves that you're a racist bastard?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2020, 11:51:55 AM »
If we get to the point of having discussions on "what caliber for COVID-19 zombies?", I will worry a bit more. 

We need a mod to change the thread title to this.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »
Yeah, you're not prepping for the Corona virus... you're prepping for the apocalypse.

And, don't you know, that since this virus originated in Asia, by keeping rice on hand as an emergency provision just proves that you're a racist bastard?

To modify the State Farm Commercial:

"Well, I'm white... so...."

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2020, 12:23:12 PM »
Given the amount of meat (mostly chicken, turkey, albacore and lamb) in my freezer I think I can stay fed for quite a while.  More salt and even if power goes out for a long time and I can still stay fed (though water becomes an issue with no power).  Some extra rice and veggies and we could stay healthy for a long time if things get bad.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2020, 09:13:55 AM »
Iran is doing a bang up job.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/02/25/new-irans-deputy-health-minister-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/
The Iranian death rate is very high. I’m not sure if that is due to quality of care, a demographic difference in who was infected, a statistical anomaly, or if they are only detecting the most severe cases. Regardless, they are at almost a 17% death rate at the moment.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2020, 09:28:20 AM »
The Iranian death rate is very high. I’m not sure if that is due to quality of care, a demographic difference in who was infected, a statistical anomaly, or if they are only detecting the most severe cases. Regardless, they are at almost a 17% death rate at the moment.

It is the will of allah ...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2020, 09:41:23 AM »
I'm surprised you guys haven't figured it out.

The reason the Kung Flu isn't ripping through the United States is because the Government's Chemtrails program has been distributing a vaccine for the past 2 months. I heard it from a guy on the interwebs, so it must be true.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2020, 10:50:45 AM »
I probably have 150# frozen meat, kind of low in the bacon department with just 6#. I do need to get rice and canned veggies/other canned stuff. .
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »

20% infected require intensive care treatment, 5% require a ventilator while in intensive care. Without a solid healthcare system, most of those will die.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2020, 11:51:42 AM »
I meant to post this yesterday.  I got some advice on prepping.  Get a decent supply of bleach and vinegar.  10% bleach solution to clean countertops and other surfaces.  Vinegar solution to soak or wash fruits and vegetables after you buy them.  It was something I wasn't thinking about so I thought I would pass it on.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2020, 11:56:31 AM »
^^^^^ Note that when using bleach, dwell time, PPE, pre-cleaning of surfaces to be disinfected, and using fresh solutions are key.  When doing infection control in healthcare environments, dwell time is usually the failure point.

https://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.edu/files/2011/10/Guidelines-for-Using-Bleach-updated.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK214356/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2020, 12:21:44 PM »
I meant to post this yesterday.  I got some advice on prepping.  Get a decent supply of bleach and vinegar.  10% bleach solution to clean countertops and other surfaces.  Vinegar solution to soak or wash fruits and vegetables after you buy them.  It was something I wasn't thinking about so I thought I would pass it on.

I was shopping Sunday evening, and noticed their supply of bleach had already been cleaned out.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2020, 12:23:00 PM »
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-slovakia-election-primeminister-idUSKCN20H0A9

“Prime Minister Peter Pellegrini was hospitalized yesterday night due to acute upper respiratory tract infection accompanied with high temperature. Due to his condition, he is cancelling his entire schedule temporarily,” Pellegrini’s office said in a statement.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2020, 01:38:51 PM »
I was shopping Sunday evening, and noticed their supply of bleach had already been cleaned out.

I'll have to check Costco the next time I'm there to see what their stock looks like. I don't need any because it's one place where Costco quantities are a great deal. I buy the three pack of bleach jugs and the two pack of vinegar jugs and am set for most of a year. Longer with the bleach because I use the vinegar for tons of stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2020, 01:43:44 PM »
CDC and others are starting to talk about pandemic planning if the virus starts spreading in the US...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/cdc-outlines-what-closing-schools-businesses-would-look-like-in-us-pandemic.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/us-coronavirus-outbreak-increasingly-likely-and-could-drag-markets-jefferies-says.html

A couple of interesting points from link #2:

“We increasingly find it hard to believe that USA cases are as low as reported, and believe that given the flow of Chinese, Korean and Iranian nationals into North America, a large USA community-based outbreak is increasingly likely,” Powell wrote.

We don't think about the US government hiding numbers the way the Chinese and Iranians might, but???

Also, somehow this Powell guy managed to get in a, "Trump will spread the virus more." Nice.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2020, 01:55:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm taking this seriously now.

I just put the finishing touches on a list of stuff I'm going to start laying in now, with the intention of having a 2 to 4 week supply of food just in case the Kung really hits the Flu.

Main emphasis will be on durable foods -- dried beans, rice, pasta, canned soup, vegetables, jarred pasta sauce, oatmeal, canned/bagged meat (Spam and tuna, mainly) and peanut butter.

I'm also going to lay in several additional pounds each of pork, chicken, and ground turkey in the deep freeze.

And, my local grocery has bottled water on sale right now, so I'm going to pick up a couple of flats of that.

I need to do the same thing for Seren, as well.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2020, 02:10:59 PM »
Yeah, I'm taking this seriously now.

I just put the finishing touches on a list of stuff I'm going to start laying in now, with the intention of having a 2 to 4 week supply of food just in case the Kung really hits the Flu.

Main emphasis will be on durable foods -- dried beans, rice, pasta, canned soup, vegetables, jarred pasta sauce, oatmeal, canned/bagged meat (Spam and tuna, mainly) and peanut butter.

I'm also going to lay in several additional pounds each of pork, chicken, and ground turkey in the deep freeze.

And, my local grocery has bottled water on sale right now, so I'm going to pick up a couple of flats of that.

I need to do the same thing for Seren, as well.

Oh, I forgot about the 15+ boxes of mac n cheese we have.

I need to check how much pasta we have. I tend to stockpile and then whittle down. I think we're low. We do have 6-8 jars of pasta sauce, each one good for about 2 meals.

For those interested in shelf-stable milk, Dollar Tree carries it for $1 per quart. (I'll be picking more up this week.)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2020, 02:14:08 PM »
I normally don't use milk, but I may pick up a quart just to have something for my coffee. Can you leave it out after it's opened or do you have to refrigerate it?