Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440115 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2020, 02:14:53 PM »
In some of the latest news I heard today that a South Korean Airlines Flight Attendant tested positive for Covid-19. That could make things interesting, multiple exposures on multiple flights going to multiple destinations. Somebody at the CDC will be earning their paycheck this week.

In other news why are flight attendants always trying to destroy mankind with strange diseases? Patient zero in the AIDS epidemic was a flight attendant, just in case you forgot. Maybe we don't need a meteor, just a few more flight attendants. ;)

bob

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »
Flight attendants, the spawn of Satan.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2020, 02:28:32 PM »
I normally don't use milk, but I may pick up a quart just to have something for my coffee. Can you leave it out after it's opened or do you have to refrigerate it?

As Angel Eyes suggests, it needs refrigeration after opening.

It's a different taste from normal milk. I'm fine with it, but the children complain. For cooking, I can't tell any difference.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2020, 02:31:39 PM »
"As Angel Eyes suggests, it needs refrigeration after opening."

I didn't realize that you had to refrigerate flight attendants after you opened them. Maybe that's why they don't smell as fresh the next morning...  >:D
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2020, 02:40:38 PM »

Main emphasis will be on durable foods -- dried beans, rice, pasta, canned soup, vegetables, jarred pasta sauce, oatmeal, canned/bagged meat (Spam and tuna, mainly) and peanut butter.

I would just suggest adding some fruit to that, or at least a bottle of vitamins to substitute.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2020, 02:46:27 PM »
Fruit is on the list I made, it just didn't make the message here. I also have a strong supply of multi vitamins at home, so I'm good there, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2020, 03:28:52 PM »
"As Angel Eyes suggests, it needs refrigeration after opening."

I didn't realize that you had to refrigerate flight attendants after you opened them. Maybe that's why they don't smell as fresh the next morning...  >:D

He edited it after I posted just to make me look silly! You're all out to get me!!  [tinfoil] :old:

But, yes, be sure to refrigerate your "flight attendant." If that's what you want to call her.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2020, 03:45:28 PM »
As Angel Eyes suggests, it needs refrigeration after opening.

It's a different taste from normal milk. I'm fine with it, but the children complain. For cooking, I can't tell any difference.

I'm so used to sweet alfalfa and silage, non alkaline watered dairy cows, that most milk tastes funny to me.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »
I use the carnation powdered milk for some cooking, and when I have been out of regular milk and too embarrassingly lazy to hit the store, have used it in cereal and whatnot. Worked fine. The key is to have it really chilled.

https://www.amazon.com/Carnation-Instant-Milk-Powdered-22-75/dp/B082LYGPJ9?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2020, 04:13:54 PM »
I use the carnation powdered milk for some cooking, and when I have been out of regular milk and too embarrassingly lazy to hit the store, have used it in cereal and whatnot. Worked fine. The key is to have it really chilled.

https://www.amazon.com/Carnation-Instant-Milk-Powdered-22-75/dp/B082LYGPJ9?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

I've gotten that (or similar) in the past, but never use enough after opening such a big package. I can't really justify keeping it on hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2020, 04:27:39 PM »
I've gotten that (or similar) in the past, but never use enough after opening such a big package. I can't really justify keeping it on hand.

I buy it in I think 9oz six packs on Amazon.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2020, 04:37:47 PM »

Walmart has packages that make 1.5 or 3 qts at a time, can't recall off hand. I use it to make pudding for wilderness trips

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »
 Used to keep four quarts of the dollar tree stuff in he cabin all,the time. The last few years have been a little rough on me so the long drive to get it wasn't a priority. It works great in gravy or even cereals . I would put one in fridge so it was cold and when it got opened I would put another in to chill. My daughter liked it better than regular milk.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zahc

• friend
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2020, 06:05:47 PM »
What is the accepted method for storing flour?

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2020, 06:09:18 PM »

Air tight in the freezer has worked for me for white and whole wheat flour. Also for cornmeal.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2020, 06:11:46 PM »
If you're talking 5gal bucket quantities, a food grade bucket with airtight (more or less) lid in a dark, moderate temperature location.

Smaller quantities I might use gallon zip locks.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2020, 06:20:39 PM »
 Do the same as Larry any ground stuff is in the freezer until needed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2020, 06:38:10 PM »
Well, it's really starting to hit the front pages of the news sites now. Even if it's not severe, I expect at least another 2000 down on the Dow this week (dropped almost another 900 today), and let the panic buying of food and supplies commence.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-disruption-in-us-might-be-severe-cdc-official-says

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2020, 09:04:38 PM »
Seems to me that 2 to 4 weeks of supplies isn't going to be enough, if this goes full-on pandemic.  It takes ~2 weeks for symptoms to appear. 

With no vaccination and an unknown number of contagious people moving around this isn't going to go away soon.  If the .gov steps in and starts shutting things (transport, movement, etc.) down, I think they'll be shut down for quite a while - months?

Got more than 2 months food stored, a few hundred thousand gallons of water in the pond (and a lot of filters, bleach etc.), ammo (never enough), a couple of (fairly) steady sources of income w/o having to go to work.  Gonna buy more long term storage type foods tomorrow.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2020, 09:13:07 PM »
Lack the money but more salt and gas would be nice to have. Can get fresh meat anytime here. Might have to trade defense for the Amish for fresh veggies.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2020, 09:22:37 PM »
Thanks Jim147, I'd forgotten about the fuel supply.  Only have ~20 gals on hand - think I'll top off the cans come Thursday.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2020, 09:28:52 PM »
Thanks Jim147, I'd forgotten about the fuel supply.  Only have ~20 gals on hand - think I'll top off the cans come Thursday.

I don't know if we'll see any gas hoarding, but I actually need another 5 gallon gas can anyway for my small engine stuff, and overly cautious or not, I think I'm going to fill the tanks on both vehicles whenever they get below 2/3 of a tank for the immediate future, just to keep them topped off. If nothing else, it will give me a buffer in case there are any price spikes on fuel.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2020, 09:29:58 PM »
Just ordered some rechargeable batteries I've been putting off buying. Seem like most of them are coming from China nowadays.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2020, 09:34:48 PM »

I keep 5# or 10# in the freezer so I never run out in the middle of baking/making something.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2020, 09:41:47 PM »
Everything I've read says refined flour is good in a cool, dark place for 1-2 years. I just keep mine in the pantry. I usually bake a loaf of bread every week or two, so a ten pound bag never sits for more than 6 months.