Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 450060 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3200 on: June 12, 2020, 09:17:02 PM »
After however many months it's been that the essential personnel at my company have been working with no kung flu outbreaks amongst us management has decided that starting today we must all wear masks when away from our desks. They are also instituting temperature checks and all employees must now enter through the main entrance.
I'll be out for 12.weeks after my shoulder surgery Monday. I'm hoping either the stupidity wears off or I get the rumored buy out offer and can retire and never have to go back except to sign my papers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3201 on: June 15, 2020, 08:58:18 AM »
Black trans lives matter (Note: BTLM, not BLM) protest in Brooklyn. I still have to wear a mask at Costco and can't sit at the bar to have a burger and beer in a near empty restaurant here.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3202 on: June 15, 2020, 09:05:56 AM »
Wouldn't it be better if you'd already had it and never knew it? ? ? ?  =|

The swab only checks for active infections.  It doesn't say weather or not RKL (or anyone getting tested) had it before.  For that you need an antibody test (which involves a blood draw) and there's some question of the efficaccy of those tests currently anyway.  (i.e. patients that are known to have had COVID test antibody negative)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3203 on: June 15, 2020, 10:36:49 AM »
Black trans lives matter (Note: BTLM, not BLM) protest in Brooklyn. I still have to wear a mask at Costco and can't sit at the bar to have a burger and beer in a near empty restaurant here.

I'm required to wear a mask anytime I go inside of a "public" building here in Virginia.

When I do go into buildings not my home1, I notice there is, at best, a 50% compliance rate, and it's only that high because the workers are forced to wear them to keep their jobs.

People, thankfully, aren't sheep and can see that the mask directive is pointless.

1: In buildings that are my home, they compliance rate is 0% unless the children decide to use the masks their grandmother made for them for ninja costumes.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3204 on: June 15, 2020, 11:17:27 AM »
I dare you not to sing this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3205 on: June 15, 2020, 12:20:31 PM »
NYC "test and trace" being told not to ask infected people if they attended demonstrations. So much for "trace". Unless it's a church or restaurant or playground or something. Party of science.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/06/15/as-anti-science-as-it-gets-nyc-mayor-tells-covid-19-test-and-trace-team-at-what-point-they-should-stop-tracing-just-guess/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3206 on: June 16, 2020, 07:59:34 AM »
Getting back to the prepping portion of this thread, I ordered two of these shelving units from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0727YYPR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They'll go in the basement, without the wheels, for storage of canned and dry goods to extend what I can store in my pantry.

I figure between those two shelves I can get close to 4 months of canned and dry foods laid by. And yes, I am going to devote a shelf to some extra toilet paper.  :rofl:

I've also started working on filling the freezer. I was at my local market over the weekend and come on a manager's special on 3 lb packs of their Nature's Promise (supposedly no antibiotics, etc., and generally expensive as hell) for $1.67 a pound because it was hitting its sell by date the next day. I picked up two, I should have picked up the other two but I wasn't sure how many freezer bags I had left.

I now have 6 1-lb packages of ground turkey in the deep freeze along with about 6 pounds of pork.

I've also started laying in multiple cans of tomatoes (I use a TON of canned tomatoes) and will start adding other veggies as well.

Back when I first heard about this coming out of China in late January I had a weird feeling that this one was going to have some legs and potential for disruption, so I started laying in extra food supplies at that time, but didn't get nearly what I wanted when things started shutting down and people started to freak out.

I was fine, ultimately, for a variety of different reasons, but if the Kung Flu comes roaring back as my gut tells me it's going to, I'm going to be a lot more prepared.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3207 on: June 16, 2020, 08:31:49 AM »
Make sure you stock up on snow shovels and warm clothing.  We are entering a solar minimum period.

http://myweb.wwu.edu/dbunny/pdfs/Evid_Based_Climate_Sci/Ev_Based_Climate_Sci_Chap11.pdf
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3208 on: June 16, 2020, 08:56:10 AM »
So, solar flu?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3209 on: June 16, 2020, 09:25:28 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281

A cheap and widely available drug can help save the lives of patients seriously ill with coronavirus.

The low-dose steroid treatment dexamethasone is a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus, UK experts say.

The drug is part of the world's biggest trial testing existing treatments to see if they also work for coronavirus.

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3210 on: June 16, 2020, 10:27:47 AM »
Trump killed Omar's father.
Actually wouldn't surprise if she does try to spin it that way at some point

Rep. Ilhan Omar announces death of father from COVID-19 complications
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep-ilhan-omar-announces-death-of-father-from-covid-19-complications
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3211 on: June 16, 2020, 10:32:10 AM »
So, solar flu?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's probably either racist, sexist or homophobic.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3212 on: June 16, 2020, 10:33:50 AM »
Trump killed Omar's father.
Actually wouldn't surprise if she does try to spin it that way at some point

Rep. Ilhan Omar announces death of father from COVID-19 complications
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep-ilhan-omar-announces-death-of-father-from-covid-19-complications

Father or father in law? Never mind, same guy.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3213 on: June 16, 2020, 10:43:14 AM »

Well the sun is a yellow dwarf so that would mean racist + discrimination against undersized persons
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JN01

• friend
« Reply #3214 on: June 16, 2020, 01:00:29 PM »
Don't forget anti-science.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3215 on: June 16, 2020, 01:33:37 PM »

I am supposed to wear a mask anytime I leave home and go somewhere that I "might" be within six feet of other people. And the lamestream media are pounding Trump for wanting to hold a rally, yet they don't seem to have any problem with demonstrations such as these.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3216 on: June 16, 2020, 01:38:43 PM »
I've ordered some almost certainly fake KN95 respirator masks from Amazon.  It should be obvious whether they are made of some kind of filter cloth and whether they leak or not.  The places that I've found sell real CE certified KN95 and FFP2 masks only sell in very high quantities for about $4 apiece, and then sometimes only sell to existing customers.  Even counterfeit masks if they are well made will be better than a scarf or whatever nonsense.  For $16 for a box of ten I'll take a chance.

(KN95 and FFP2 are the Chinese and European equivalent specifications for USA N95 respirator masks.  There's also Japanese, Australian, Korean, etc specs with different designation, and they are all pretty much equivalent)

Perhaps I should search for P1 respirators.  Those only filter 80% instead of 95%, but that's a lot better than nothing.
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3217 on: June 16, 2020, 09:25:45 PM »
You people need to come around on the sheeple mask stuff. I am wearing that red bandana as long as I can get away with it, this is a rare day we get to give such a giant middle finger to face recognition tech.

In other news all the Virginia health departments still aren't taking people in, so trying to get my daughter's 2nd HPV vaccine is on hold. So vaccinations, pregnancy services and nutritional programs are being held up by a bunch of people who effing love science.

I went looking for my annual internet fix to keep up with the Isle of Man TT and other Irish road racing. They cancelled the races this year due to the rona. A race that will almost certainly kill someone every year canx for a virus you most likely will survive.

Chicken wire is the new toilet paper, needed some, so did everyone else. My ducks now have a huge space all to themselves since they can't free range when no one is here, too many shenanigans involving other people's yards.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3218 on: June 17, 2020, 12:47:47 AM »
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-toilet-flush-spread-covid-commode-20200616-l3xuvbvmkvg7xdihgnwc3azajm-story.html

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0013318

Close the toilet lid before flushing to reduce the risk of fecal aerosols carrying COVID.  Although there has been literature for many years about toilet flushing spreading germs throughout the bathroom.  One of the reasons that I always close the lid.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3219 on: June 17, 2020, 07:36:18 AM »

I tried my best...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3220 on: June 17, 2020, 08:28:11 AM »
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-toilet-flush-spread-covid-commode-20200616-l3xuvbvmkvg7xdihgnwc3azajm-story.html

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0013318

Close the toilet lid before flushing to reduce the risk of fecal aerosols carrying COVID.  Although there has been literature for many years about toilet flushing spreading germs throughout the bathroom.  One of the reasons that I always close the lid.

You first got to get people to flush
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3221 on: June 17, 2020, 08:45:43 AM »
You first got to get people to flush

And- as is the case of most public toilets I've seen- have a lid.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3223 on: June 17, 2020, 08:53:46 AM »
And- as is the case of most public toilets I've seen- have a lid.

Urinal aiming should also be a required course for men
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3224 on: June 17, 2020, 09:54:03 AM »
Urinal aiming should also be a required course for men
Just need bigger urinals.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge