Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 449620 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3650 on: July 29, 2020, 12:33:46 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/29/895152258/data-analysis-covid-19-is-filling-up-hospitals-in-small-cities?utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1VAg3cDmoe-TmCgugHJlBFN8W3l00bXeefifuRzOOwuL5sTmxCaQZHlAw&fbclid=IwAR2MCcrvy5nF4AIAvLp7srIErMXlpuTPRx_S3hAJRFHa8nZgLlCiDL9WB60

Uh oh, Ben, it is coming for you!

Heh. I still haven't seen any cases in my area, but Boise and vicinity is apparently now a hotspot. Kind of interesting, because they are big mask nazis there from what I have seen. You would think some place like CDA and the panhandle would be hotspots, because they are antimask nazis.

Apparently last week, Idaho had more cases in that week than we did the first few months of the virus. Many more younger people. Mutation, parties, protests, who knows?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3651 on: July 29, 2020, 12:39:17 PM »
^^^In my county and others in Western Washington, our recent big spikes have been due to younger people contracting it at social gatherings.  They are going to parties and not maintaining social distancing or masking.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3652 on: July 29, 2020, 05:24:15 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53579773

Dr. Stella Immanuel has some interesting personal and clinical opinions.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3653 on: July 29, 2020, 07:47:33 PM »
From a friend here in WI:

My daughter's friend went to the local Hospital (Aurora Lakeland) to be tested for COVID-19. He got tired of waiting around and left before he could be tested. A few days later he got his results in the mail that said he was tested positive,

:facepalm:
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3654 on: July 29, 2020, 09:48:50 PM »

That's one way of expressing it ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #3655 on: July 29, 2020, 09:50:49 PM »

My daughter's friend went to the local Hospital (Aurora Lakeland) to be tested for COVID-19. He got tired of waiting around and left before he could be tested. A few days later he got his results in the mail that said he was tested positive,

How could he test positive if he left before being tested?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3656 on: July 29, 2020, 10:05:36 PM »

Is it possible he wasn’t telling the truth, and just doesn’t want to be quarantined?

Reading the debate about COVID is just stunning. It’s killed and left injured a staggering number of people, but there still seems to be a non-fringe debate about whether it’s overblown for some mysterious government/commercial plot.

I can see why traders would want to downplay the severity of the disease to keep revenue coming in from normal commercial activity. I cannot fathom why the Government would want to whip up fear or cripple its own revenues with shut downs.  Nor can I see any sane basis for thinking the CDC is politicising its advice.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3657 on: July 29, 2020, 10:36:51 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html

Is it possible he wasn’t telling the truth, and just doesn’t want to be quarantined?

Reading the debate about COVID is just stunning. It’s killed and left injured a staggering number of people, but there still seems to be a non-fringe debate about whether it’s overblown for some mysterious government/commercial plot.

I can see why traders would want to downplay the severity of the disease to keep revenue coming in from normal commercial activity. I cannot fathom why the Government would want to whip up fear or cripple its own revenues with shut downs.  Nor can I see any sane basis for thinking the CDC is politicising its advice.

Is naivete a symptom?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3658 on: July 29, 2020, 10:48:02 PM »

[popcorn]

Yup, no politicization of the Corona virus to be found anywhere..
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3659 on: July 29, 2020, 10:52:43 PM »

I can see why traders would want to downplay the severity of the disease to keep revenue coming in from normal commercial activity. I cannot fathom why the Government would want to whip up fear or cripple its own revenues with shut downs.  Nor can I see any sane basis for thinking the CDC is politicising its advice.

I've heard similar stories about different people in Iowa, nurses submitting used tests, etc and coming back positive. I think it's about as true as Elvis being alive and living in rural Iowa.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:13:41 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3660 on: July 29, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »
Is it possible he was telling the truth?

Maybe because all the numbers are demonstrably bullshit?

I can see why traders would want to downplay the severity of the disease to keep revenue coming in from normal commercial activity. I cannot fathom why the Government would want to whip up fear or cripple its own revenues with shut downs.  Nor can I see any sane basis for thinking the CDC is politicising its advice. You cannot fathom why the Government would want to whip up fear? Fear is how governments control their people.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3661 on: July 29, 2020, 10:55:31 PM »
I've heard similar stories about different people in Iowa, nurses submitting used tests, etc and coming back positive. I think it about as true as Elvis being alive and living in rural Iowa.

It's a conspiracy!

Everyone other than the media is lying ;)

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3662 on: July 29, 2020, 11:23:25 PM »

I can never tell if you are trying to be sarcastic or if you are trolling or if you are really just that *expletive deleted*ing stupid and arrogant.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3663 on: July 29, 2020, 11:26:56 PM »

I'd believe him over you on any day that ends in Y
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3664 on: July 30, 2020, 12:48:04 AM »

"The Government" is a group of people, not all of whom have the same goal in mind. Of course, in the U.S., we even have many different governments.

Why would they whip up fear? A good question, but it's impossible to pretend it would be out of the question. See, for example, left-wing hysteria over any number of issues: reversal of net neutrality, lowering of tax rates, voter ID laws, alleged white supremacy and "systemic racism," Russian influence over our elections or the POTUS, police killings of black Americans, and absurd allegations against Donald Trump too numerous to list (not to be confused with his actual failings).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3665 on: July 30, 2020, 01:51:02 AM »
I can never tell if you are trying to be sarcastic or if you are trolling or if you are really just that *expletive deleted*ing stupid and arrogant.

Maybe try articulating a response - how do Governments benefit from this???? I’m asking the question seriously. Presumably they want new structural powers and more of your tax dollars. COVID response has only highlighted the weakness of Government powers and has definitely impacted revenue sources of all kinds. For a government that many on this board have accused of being globalist, it’s weird to fan the flames of a thing that seriously damages international trade.

I think if you try to actually articulate a response you’ll have some more questions yourself.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3666 on: July 30, 2020, 01:54:06 AM »

Is it possible he was telling the truth?

Maybe because all the numbers are demonstrably bullshit?

I can see why traders would want to downplay the severity of the disease to keep revenue coming in from normal commercial activity. I cannot fathom why the Government would want to whip up fear or cripple its own revenues with shut downs.  Nor can I see any sane basis for thinking the CDC is politicising its advice. You cannot fathom why the Government would want to whip up fear? Fear is how governments control their people.

Let me ask you this - what’s a medical source whose opinion you would trust on COVID, and why would you trust that source over the CDC or media interviews with hospital ICU directors?

How does fear of COVID in particular enhance government power?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3667 on: July 30, 2020, 02:02:49 AM »
I've heard similar stories about different people in Iowa, nurses submitting used tests, etc and coming back positive. I think it's about as true as Elvis being alive and living in rural Iowa.

The left have been saying Elvis is dead for years because with his popularity and support for Trump, they know how many voters he’d bring along. Just look at the total media blackout on his concert at Trump’s inaguartion!

He’s spoken out recently about masks, hydroxychloroquine, and in defence of confederate monuments which is why the media continue to deny his living words.
 =D

TBH some of the COVID theories I read are less realistic

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3668 on: July 30, 2020, 05:46:24 AM »
Maybe try articulating a response - how do Governments benefit from this???? I’m asking the question seriously. Presumably they want new structural powers and more of your tax dollars. COVID response has only highlighted the weakness of Government powers and has definitely impacted revenue sources of all kinds.
Could you read this back to yourself?
I am not on board the “rona is a fake news plandemic!” train, but are you seriously saying you can’t conceive how a government might use a demonstration that it’s current authority is insufficient to show that it should have more authority?  And when in living memory have politicians worried about where money comes from?  In this country we finance our government on the backs of our grandchildren, sir.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3669 on: July 30, 2020, 06:45:32 AM »

From the link:

Despite some early studies raising hopes that the drug could be used to cure coronavirus, one subsequent larger scale trial has shown it is not effective as a treatment.

It just strikes me that this is another example of the valid conclusion that "there is no statistically significant difference*" in the study being mis-translated as "there is no difference."

The latter does not follow from the former.

There may well be a difference between the treated and untreated groups, just not quite enough to show up at the "customary" confidence levels of P<.05 or P<.01.

That is, there may actually be a difference, just not big enough to show up at the scientifically conservative ".05" or ".01" probability levels.

In other words, "It may work for some, but not everybody, and we won't lay bets on that."

Terry, 230RN

* Meaning there is no difference beyond what we would expect by chance at the pre-chosen probability levels between treated and untreated groups.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:20:25 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3670 on: July 30, 2020, 07:23:11 AM »

Oh, NOW it's ok to mock the beliefs of those "ignorant savages" in Africa? It's not racist in this case?

As for the effectiveness of HCQ+AZ+zinc, I'll go with the epidemiologist from Yale:

https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeating-covid-19-already-exists-we-need-start-using-it-opinion-1519535

His article (and the published work it's based on) lays out the reason those "significant trials" that "disprove" the effectiveness of HCQ are mistaken. Mainly, the trials were either done with late stage disease (too late for an antiviral to be effective) or were done with HCQ alone.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3671 on: July 30, 2020, 08:23:17 AM »

A sizeable percentage of US economic activity was/has been shut down by state and local government fiat. They obeyed.

A sizeable percentage of the population were commanded by state and local government fiat to not leave their homes except to gather essentials. They obeyed.

A sizeable percentage of the population were commanded by state and local fiat to not gather in groups and to always maintain "social distance". They obeyed.

Wear your damn mask by government fiat. They obeyed.

This was all done with nary a whimper from the population due to the 24/7 FEAR campaign.

Fear is possibly the most powerful tool that can be used to get folks to do that which they otherwise wouldn't.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3672 on: July 30, 2020, 08:39:59 AM »

ORANGEMANBAD must be defeated!

That, combined with an entire ruling class terrified of type I errors (which would mean people die of coronavirus and the ruling class would be blamed for that) and not caring at all about type II errors (which would mean even more people are dying of the reaction to the coronavirus- from lack of medical care, dispair deaths, etc...- where the deaths are far more likely to go under the radar and the ruling class is unlikely to be blamed) we have a MASSIVELY risk averse overclass about one set of risks but completely unconcerned about a different set of risks.

That leads to stupidity like SHUTTING DOWN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY over a disease the appears to be more dangerous than the flu, but not greatly so, and is, in fact, LESS dangerous than the flu for younger people.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3673 on: July 30, 2020, 09:08:20 AM »
Let me ask you this - what’s a medical source whose opinion you would trust on COVID, and why would you trust that source over the CDC or media interviews with hospital ICU directors?
All of our sources of information are pumping out BS 24/7.

We have no way of knowing the truth of these matters except at a local level, by anecdotal evidence, from those within our circle of acquaintances.

Who/what is attacked by the Masters of the current Narrative can be a useful guide by believing the opposite of what they say. Although that's how they've controlled the right wing for years so it is a less than perfect tool.

My local intel, being in the shadow of Chicago and five miles from one of our first hot spots, is that it is a nasty bug that will put the hurt on those susceptible to it due to comorbitities or other less understood reasons. My intel comes from circles that include police, nurses, doctors, folks who are closer to the "front lines" here.

There is great hesitation on their part to contradict the FEAR narrative. Their actions show compliance to the narrative but they also show observable levels of less fear and less neurotic behavior. Oftentimes they will talk down the risk (we overreacted) but then reinforce the narrative by saying it can't hurt to be extra careful etc...

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3674 on: July 30, 2020, 09:16:04 AM »
All of our sources of information are pumping out BS 24/7.

We have no way of knowing the truth of these matters except at a local level, by anecdotal evidence, from those within our circle of acquaintances.

Who/what is attacked by the Masters of the current Narrative can be a useful guide by believing the opposite of what they say. Although that's how they've controlled the right wing for years so it is a less than perfect tool.

My local intel, being in the shadow of Chicago and five miles from one of our first hot spots, is that it is a nasty bug that will put the hurt on those susceptible to it due to comorbitities or other less understood reasons. My intel comes from circles that include police, nurses, doctors, folks who are closer to the "front lines" here. There is great hesitation on their part to contradict the FEAR narrative and their actions show compliance to the narrative but they also show observable levels of less fear and less neurotic behavior.

This is tantamount to saying that rumours and Facebook posts by people you know are better quality info than scientific studies - and even then you acknowledge the first hand narratives say this is a nasty bug.

It’s killed more people by any measure than an average flu year already, there’s good evidence it does serious damage to many more, and the infection rate is whatever else many orders of magnitude higher than SARS or MERS.

I guess you won’t be laughing at articles about Saudi Arabians thinking that pigeons are spies or about other random folk beliefs - those things come from firsthand accounts over any sort of reliance on scientific, peer reviewed and published sources just the same as folk beliefs about COVID.