Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 439971 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #6100 on: September 28, 2021, 12:20:43 PM »
/|\
 |
 |

I understand NYS at least, is bringing in National Guard to substitute for fired employees. I wonder how widespread that will be? I have no idea as to what percentage of NG (and I guess it would vary by state) are medically trained  to fill in. At some poiunt, you might run out of them as well.

EDIT: Of course when I use one of those Millcreek "look at the post above mine" arrows, I end up starting a new page.  :laugh:

I'm referring to Dogmush's previous post.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6101 on: September 28, 2021, 12:55:51 PM »
/|\
 |
 |

I understand NYS at least, is bringing in National Guard to substitute for fired employees. I wonder how widespread that will be? I have no idea as to what percentage of NG (and I guess it would vary by state) are medically trained  to fill in. At some poiunt, you might run out of them as well.

EDIT: Of course when I use one of those Millcreek "look at the post above mine" arrows, I end up starting a new page.  :laugh:

I'm referring to Dogmush's previous post.
Some online commentary I saw indicated there is little likelihood there will be enough national guard medically trained people available, but I guess it depends on what they want them to do.  Also, one comment said the National Guard can't keep track of things so the likelihood of all of them being vaccinated is low. 

I was thinking the people getting pulled into guard duty may end up taking pay cuts or pulled out of existing healthcare positions.  Not sure how all that will work.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 01:08:45 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6102 on: September 28, 2021, 01:04:19 PM »
I've heard that not all of the military personnel are onboard with getting the vax.  I'd bet there are a few Reservists/Guard that feel the same way, and haven't gotten vaxed.

If that's the case, what's the state/organization going to do if a non-vaxed Reservist/Guard gets assigned to their area of responsibility?  It would be stupid, but in line with their policy, if they refuse the assistance of that member.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6103 on: September 28, 2021, 01:13:31 PM »
I've heard that not all of the military personnel are onboard with getting the vax.  I'd bet there are a few Reservists/Guard that feel the same way, and haven't gotten vaxed.

If that's the case, what's the state/organization going to do if a non-vaxed Reservist/Guard gets assigned to their area of responsibility?  It would be stupid, but in line with their policy, if they refuse the assistance of that member.

We haven't got a lot of guidance on the actual implementation of the vaccine mandate for Servicemembers yet, but from what I've seen so far, a Guardsman who is not fully vaxxed is ineligible to be activated. It would take a waiver from on high to allow that to happen.  Since this is a state activation, the Adjutant General or the Governor could probably waive the medical readiness portion, but that'd be a pretty bad look for her politically.  Flip a coin on whether she allows that.

I'm not an expert on the intricacies of the Guard and State mobs though, so I may have missed some nuance somewhere.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6104 on: September 29, 2021, 08:42:39 PM »
https://abc7.com/covid-mandate-air-travel-feinstein-bill-vaccine-proof-flights-negative-test/11061172/

Diane Feinstein is Ben's newest best friend: she has sponsored legislation calling for vaccination, negative testing, or recovery from illness as COVID prerequisites for domestic air travel.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6105 on: September 29, 2021, 08:51:51 PM »
https://abc7.com/covid-mandate-air-travel-feinstein-bill-vaccine-proof-flights-negative-test/11061172/

Diane Feinstein is Ben's newest best friend: she has sponsored legislation calling for vaccination, negative testing, or recovery from illness as COVID prerequisites for domestic air travel.

Or we just don’t call for any of that bullshit in the first place.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6106 on: September 29, 2021, 09:06:13 PM »
Dogmush,
I saw a local report that I can’t find right now from a hospital system which has instituted the mandate that was saying they were only firing a very small percentage of their workforce and most were from support roles, just as you supposed.

Looks like non-compliance and willingness to go to the wall for it may have some odd regionality.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6107 on: September 29, 2021, 09:08:45 PM »

Interesting. She has done a few things in the last year that have pissed off the far left.

I wonder what proof of recovery will be? This is the first I have heard of any politician mentioning it as part of a mandate or "covid pass", so haven't seen what proof documentation would be. Documentation of positive test result? Antibody test? I haven't seen anything on how easy it is to get an antibody test or what the costs are.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6108 on: September 29, 2021, 09:48:57 PM »
At this stage, I think we're looking mostly at public perception...

And that's all over the place. There are a LOT of folks out there who think that if you catch it, you're gonna die. Flat out don't pass go die...

And then there are the people who insist that everyone pay attention to the rules. They like the rules. The rules are for safety. Safety. You have to be safe. Perfectly safe.

I'm a lot more worried about getting shot by one of the gangsters that our city administration gives get out of jail free cards to than I am of dying from a nasty cold, at least at this point.
Blog under construction

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6110 on: October 01, 2021, 11:00:33 AM »
Well, given that he isn't an octogenarian patient in a nursing home, long-term care facility, skilled nursing facility, or a hospice facility, with a DNR order on file, he'll probably be just fine.
Blog under construction

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6111 on: October 01, 2021, 12:13:24 PM »
This just in: Justice Kavanaugh tests positive. I hope he recovers quickly.

From what?  Testing positive?

From the article: "On Thursday evening, Justice Kavanaugh was informed that he had tested positive for Covid-19," the statement said. "He has no symptoms and has been fully vaccinated since January."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6112 on: October 01, 2021, 12:24:57 PM »

From the article: "On Thursday evening, Justice Kavanaugh was informed that he had tested positive for Covid-19," the statement said. "He has no symptoms and has been fully vaccinated since January."

Meanwhile, I've had symptoms for two weeks and I've tested negative twice.

I think I have to wait another week or two before an antibody test will be valid, but I intend to pursue that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #6114 on: October 01, 2021, 01:13:25 PM »

huh ??? You actually read the article before commenting on it?  :rofl:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6115 on: October 01, 2021, 01:18:12 PM »
https://www.breitbart.com/health/2021/10/01/merck-says-experimental-pill-cuts-worst-effects-of-coronavirus/

This might be encouraging.

Read a few stories earlier that this new drug is either chemically very similar to ivermectin, or just rebadged ivermectin.  Not sure how accurate the stories were, but it does make one wonder.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6116 on: October 01, 2021, 01:44:00 PM »
https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/26/19/5795/pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molnupiravir

This does not sound similar to, or related to, ivermectin at all.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6117 on: October 01, 2021, 01:45:05 PM »
Read a few stories earlier that this new drug is either chemically very similar to ivermectin, or just rebadged ivermectin.  Not sure how accurate the stories were, but it does make one wonder.

A quick read of the wikis for both drugs makes me think they aren't similar at all.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6118 on: October 01, 2021, 01:48:53 PM »

I think it is Pfizer that was working on a drug that is similar to ivermectin. Like Rocketman I just recall reading something about it, no real knowledge outside of an article where it was mentioned.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6119 on: October 01, 2021, 02:15:37 PM »
I think it is Pfizer that was working on a drug that is similar to ivermectin. Like Rocketman I just recall reading something about it, no real knowledge outside of an article where it was mentioned.

Sorry gents.  Ron is correct, it was the Pfizer drug that was called out for it's similarity to ivermectin.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6120 on: October 01, 2021, 02:22:22 PM »
One thing we can all agree on: whomever is first to market with a reliable oral treatment for Covid is going to be making money hand over fist.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6121 on: October 01, 2021, 02:26:58 PM »
As long as it isn't a generic...

You know, like some other stuff that some folks said worked...
Blog under construction

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6122 on: October 01, 2021, 03:02:58 PM »
One thing we can all agree on: whomever is first to market with a reliable oral treatment for Covid is going to be making money hand over fist.

IF the government allows that company to make a profit. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6123 on: October 01, 2021, 03:18:01 PM »
As long as it isn't a generic...

You know, like some other stuff that some folks said worked...

One thing that Big Pharma excels at in recent years is tweaking one molecule on a generic or pre-existing product so they have a new unique product that can be patented.  In recent years, Big Pharma has offshored almost all of their pharmaceutical research chemistry to places like Singapore, India and South Korea and those countries have scads of PhDs and the server farms to support the computational chemistry to come up with the new molecules.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6124 on: October 01, 2021, 03:25:13 PM »

That's exactly what the articles I read recently had implied.  Big bucks to be had for a new treatment.
The speculation in the articles was Pfizer was reworking Ivermectin just enough to justify a new patent (and to avoid patent infringement issues) and an approval by the FDA.  That means big bucks once their version goes on the market.  Ivermectin itself will be dirt cheap by comparison.
Anyone want to bet that Big Pharma arm twists the FDA to completely prohibit the use of Ivermectin as a Covid treatment once Merck and Pfizer are ready to market their new drugs?

edit: just saw your last post after I posted this one MC.