Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440493 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #7100 on: December 22, 2022, 12:22:23 PM »
When my VA GP's nurse advises me that "You're good" at just having the J&J and it's booster, a WHILE back, buddy, I'm good!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7101 on: December 23, 2022, 08:02:42 AM »
Meanwhile in China

Experts today told MailOnline the capitulation has been caused by President Xi Jinping's government sticking with its zero Covid policy for so long after rolling out vaccines.

The hermit strategy left China's population with little to no natural immunity.

In contrast, countries in the West, including Britain, resorted to living with the virus, which now poses a milder threat thanks to immunity afforded by the vaccine and natural infections.  

'Epidemiologist estimate >60% of [China] & 10% of Earth’s population likely infected over next 90 days. Deaths likely in the millions—plural. 

'This is just the start.'

Despite the suspected increase, China — which has repeatedly been accused of fiddling its numbers — reported no new Covid deaths yesterday and subtracted one death from its overall toll, lowering it to 5,241.

China faces 'thermonuclear' wave of Covid: Warning virus may kill up to ONE MILLION people as the sick overwhelm hospitals and dead bodies pile up outside morgues - after Beijing reversed its draconian restrictions
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11561611/Chinas-Covid-capitulation-draconian-hermit-strategy.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7102 on: December 23, 2022, 11:45:19 AM »
Sorry, but I've seen the videos of people collapsing in the streets already. China can do whatever it wants. We're gonna do us.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7103 on: December 29, 2022, 09:12:01 PM »
So I had a couple of books that I wanted in dead tree, and one of them wasn't available in dead tree on Amazon, so I ordered both of them from Barnes and Noble with ship to store. I haven't been to a B&N in forever, and never to the one in Boise. It's in a part of Boise I've never been, but they have an REI and other yuppie stores in the area.

Anyway, in I go, and non-covid related, I thought brick and mortar bookstores were dying, but I had to do two laps around the large B&N dedicated parking lot to get a spot (maybe due to after Christmas). Covid related, I was shocked when I walked in. I haven't seen masks anywhere in these parts anymore other than maybe 1 in 20 people, even in some doctors offices. At the B&N? Fully 25% of the customers had them, and probably 80% of the staff. Since it wasn't 100% staff, I'm assuming there is no store policy, so this is just individual choice.

I thought I was in California in 2020 or something. This has to be cultural. I will say most of the customers and staff gave me the kind of vibe that, were it not for all the Winter clothing (that was definitely REI-ish) I would have thought I was back in Santa Barbara. This just must be a section of Boise that attracts all the Calido liberals, because it's way an outlier from anywhere else I go. I should have popped into the REI to see if they had the same masking going on.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7104 on: December 30, 2022, 12:23:41 AM »
Coupla of years ago I went to the REI store here to buy a pair of $200 boots. The person in the footwear section wouldn't wait on me. I was wearing a red hat that said "Make Christmas Great Again."

I bought 'em at Academy. Cheaper.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7105 on: December 30, 2022, 06:28:38 AM »
I bipped into the REI in Tampa last week to buy some white gas for my camping trip. Not a mask in sight, employee or customer.

FL gatorpilled even the REI folks.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7107 on: December 30, 2022, 10:39:27 AM »
As is the norm with the left nowadays anyone who criticizes something they do is automatically "far right" aka "Fascist"

Dr. Fauci seemed a little uncomfortable with people knowing about the pictures. He said that previously, when they were captured on camera, the “far right” attacked him as an “egomaniac.” If someone goes to the trouble of sending him a portrait of himself, he said, he would “feel like I’m disrespecting them” if he discarded it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 10:53:10 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7108 on: December 30, 2022, 11:46:36 AM »
Talk about an "I love me wall". Also, is he like 4' tall?

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/12/30/ny-times-profile-on-dr-fauci-kicks-right-off-with-a-super-creepy-personal-detail/

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
·
Follow
Replying to @elonmusk and @JerryDunleavy
Maybe he just loves looking at science?
:laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7109 on: December 31, 2022, 10:31:02 AM »
Interesting change of direction by fed.gov.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/12/31/cdc-director-rochelle-walensky-shows-how-the-covid-science-has-pivoted-on-2-fronts/

I guess it's no longer xenophobic to target by science/data/race/region. Can we do that again because Pelosi is out?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7110 on: December 31, 2022, 10:44:17 AM »
Interesting change of direction by fed.gov.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/12/31/cdc-director-rochelle-walensky-shows-how-the-covid-science-has-pivoted-on-2-fronts/

I guess it's no longer xenophobic to target by science/data/race/region. Can we do that again because Pelosi is out?

It makes one wonder just how far .gov is going to push covid restrictions this time.  Now that the mid-terms are over and the result wasn't nearly as bad as the Democrats feared, what will they be emboldened to do?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7111 on: January 02, 2023, 10:58:28 AM »
Message from Jill Biden

Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine Get Your COVID Vaccine

First Lady Jill Biden's New Year message to Americans: "Go get that COVID vaccine." pic.twitter.com/UO2AeF3yvZ

— Breaking911 (@Breaking911) January 1, 2023
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2023/01/02/oh-honey-no-doctor-jill-bidens-ny-message-to-americans-just-pisses-everyone-off-watch/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7112 on: January 02, 2023, 10:32:23 PM »
Bills/Bengals game suspended
One of the Bills players collapsed on the field and was being given CPR before being loaded into an ambulance

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35368372/damar-hamlin-collapses-field-bills-bengals-temporarily-suspended

Why am I posting this here you may ask?
Within minutes this guy had a YT video up where more than once he felt the need to tell us it's not vaccine related.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-G9mziXL9w
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 07:20:25 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7113 on: January 03, 2023, 09:15:50 AM »
And just as surely we'll be soon hearing from a raft of mouth breathers telling us that Hamlin's medical emergency was ALL VACCINE RELATED!!!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7114 on: January 03, 2023, 09:25:19 AM »
Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to the right
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7115 on: January 03, 2023, 09:29:58 AM »
And just as surely we'll be soon hearing from a raft of mouth breathers telling us that Hamlin's medical emergency was ALL VACCINE RELATED!!!

Came across an article a couple of weeks ago that was trying to connect the recent increase in NFL injuries to the vaccine. Can't find it now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7116 on: January 03, 2023, 10:21:38 AM »
Hard to say with NFL players.  They take a boat load of supplements and stuff to beef up and get stronger.  I also heard in the past that some players take stuff to help hype them up for games.  I recall one player said he took caffeine tablets pre-game.  I don't know if that stuff can/will cause heart issues, but I imagine is adds some stress. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7117 on: January 03, 2023, 11:21:34 AM »
The former paramedic here wonders if it was commotio cordis: a heart rhythm abnormality caused by an impact to the chest.  The classic example is of a kid who gets struck in the chest by a baseball or hockey puck. You can see it in adults after blunt trauma to the chest.  I saw a case once where an unrestrained driver struck the steering wheel with her chest during a collision.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7118 on: January 03, 2023, 01:18:45 PM »
The former paramedic here wonders if it was commotio cordis: a heart rhythm abnormality caused by an impact to the chest.  The classic example is of a kid who gets struck in the chest by a baseball or hockey puck. You can see it in adults after blunt trauma to the chest.  I saw a case once where an unrestrained driver struck the steering wheel with her chest during a collision.

I was on the phone with a friend last night and we were talking about that possibility.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7119 on: January 18, 2023, 09:12:10 AM »
Really interesting article showing a global view of COVID statistics.

It'll make our resident authoritarian defenders very happy, but also not so much.

https://maximumtruth.substack.com/p/the-covid-fudge-factor

The long and short of it:
Lots of countries lied a bunch about COVID deaths.  The US actually did a pretty good job in our counts.
Authoritarian lockdowns (but only the most authoritarian lockdowns) were effective.  Half-assed lockdowns were the best of both worlds - ineffective and tyrannical!
Vaccination appears to have been quite effective, not at preventing spread but at preventing death.  I maintain that targeted vaccination of at-risk individuals instead of general vaccination would have been better, but whatever.
When authoritarian lockdowns ended, cases skyrocketed.  However the combination of weaker strains circulating at that point, and (untargeted) immunization of at-risk groups drastically reduced deaths.
Even the most effective and draconian policies applied in the US would have likely added only an average of 2 weeks of life per person.
Australians absolutely thrive on imprisonment.  It is their native habitat, and for their own good we should imprison the lot of them in perpetuity.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7120 on: January 18, 2023, 09:53:57 AM »
I have heard at least one Australian on a livestream comment about the police in his state being a bunch of thugs.  I think all that changed a few opinions. 

The main questions I have are:
1.  Were the treatments used in the first 6 months or so effective or did they contribute to the problem?  I have heard suspicions that some of the drugs used either made breathing problems worse or caused other organ issues which led to deaths.  I heard at least one person wonder if some of the respirators worked properly, but I never saw anything about that. 
2.  There were some estimates of deaths due to practices in some states deliberately housing COVID patients with elderly folks.  I would like to see a better accounting of that.
3.  I also understand that flu deaths were very low which makes me wonder if that is due to better behavior/masks or if flu was there and got rolled up into the COVID numbers. Could the COVID testing have been inaccurate enough for the flu to trigger a positive result?  They were rolling out millions of COVID test kits in a very short time. 

I need to read that article and see what it addressed.  I heard someone else mention that 73% of COVID deaths happened after the roll out of the vaccine which might raise other questions for me.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 10:14:43 AM by MechAg94 »

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7121 on: January 18, 2023, 11:21:17 AM »
The article doesn't focus in so carefully and mostly relies on excess deaths statistics.

I have heard at least one Australian on a livestream comment about the police in his state being a bunch of thugs.  I think all that changed a few opinions. 
Sure, and I know some Australian expats currently living here who visited Australia during the lockdowns and are livid at the direction their home country went.  The reason I said that was this section of the article:
Were there really fewer non-Covid deaths than normal in Australia/NZ, during lockdowns?
I dug into this. Australia has a great mortality statistics site, which shows that almost every major cause of death fell by 5% or more during the pandemic.

Age-adjusted deaths from heart attacks fell 9%, and deaths from respiratory diseases broadly fell 18%, making a big impact. Suicides fell 6%, driving deaths fell 10%, assault deaths fell 10%, drug deaths fell 4%.

The only significant non-Covid category that rose: Alcohol deaths, up 8%.

It is possible that unintended consequences will cause future rises in deaths. Perhaps heart attacks fell due to people engaging in less strenuous activity during lockdown, but sedentary behavior could lead to worse health in the long run. There is some concern that effects like that are being seen in the UK now, but so far it is not very significant, and could be due to Covid itself having harmed health. We’ll need to wait for more data to be sure.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7122 on: January 18, 2023, 01:40:12 PM »
Those are interesting statistics.  Thanks.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #7124 on: January 18, 2023, 07:57:53 PM »
It makes one wonder just how far .gov is going to push covid restrictions this time.  Now that the mid-terms are over and the result wasn't nearly as bad as the Democrats feared, what will they be emboldened to do?

Makes you wonder... I'm expecting all kinds of crap (not just re firearms) from Colorado's Politburo.  You elect them as lawmakers, and son of a gun, they feel compelled to make laws, supposedly for the health, benefit, and welfare of the people of Colorado.

Trouble is, it's too easy to compress their ideas of Utopia into that restriction, and they seem to think that winning an election makes Colorado a monarchy.

And "people" means every living soul, even illegal aliens.  (Oh, sorry, they're properly called "migrants" nowadays.)