Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440077 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #7275 on: March 29, 2023, 10:50:22 AM »
Wow, the science must have totally changed all of a sudden.  I'm glad we finally have data to indicate that the impacts of COVID are strongly age-stratified and that children are at almost no risk from COVID - lower even than flu.  It would have been amazing to have that information three years ago.  Oh wait.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7276 on: March 29, 2023, 11:02:08 AM »
Wow, the science must have totally changed all of a sudden.  I'm glad we finally have data to indicate that the impacts of COVID are strongly age-stratified and that children are at almost no risk from COVID - lower even than flu.  It would have been amazing to have that information three years ago.  Oh wait.

Probably more it's political usefulness came to an end.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7277 on: March 29, 2023, 08:09:17 PM »
Probably more it's political usefulness came to an end.

Say it ain't so!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7278 on: March 29, 2023, 08:43:07 PM »
You know, I'd really like to know just who started cooking the books on the numbers...

The whole "died with" thing is what allowed them to crush the economy.

But it won't be just one person - it'll be like all the well-meaning folks who did their little bit to get Biden elected. No vast conspiracy - just a bunch of separate folks who thought they were doing what was right.

March 13, 2020 is when Iowa pretty much shut down. Trump was president and Reynolds was the governor of Iowa. You gotta throw some shade at the true believers in the GOP too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7279 on: March 30, 2023, 11:08:20 AM »
It seems to me it was only a few months ago last year that Fauci was still arguing that all kids had to be vaccinated. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7280 on: March 30, 2023, 11:18:24 AM »
March 13, 2020 is when Iowa pretty much shut down. Trump was president and Reynolds was the governor of Iowa. You gotta throw some shade at the true believers in the GOP too.

You can blame your Governor, but I don't know what Trump would have to do with Iowa shutting down. If Trump told Iowa it should shut down, your Governor could have told him to *expletive deleted*ck off, like the governors of the free states told Biden to do.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7281 on: March 30, 2023, 11:42:59 AM »
You can blame your Governor, but I don't know what Trump would have to do with Iowa shutting down. If Trump told Iowa it should shut down, your Governor could have told him to *expletive deleted*ck off, like the governors of the free states told Biden to do.

She's a total Trump lap dog.

Trump shut the country down, spring of 2020.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7282 on: March 30, 2023, 11:50:19 AM »
Trump shut the country down, spring of 2020.

Which country? I had zero changes in my routine, other than wearing a mask at Costco.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7283 on: March 30, 2023, 12:13:13 PM »
I remember worrying about a national shelter in place order, but that never happened.  Trump halted some international travel and started printing checks for anyone and everyone.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7284 on: March 30, 2023, 01:13:20 PM »
Which country? I had zero changes in my routine, other than wearing a mask at Costco.

Well you're retired, so a pandemic shutdown/slowdown won't affect you as much as us working stiffs.

March 13, 2020- Trump Declares an National Emergency due to Covid

March 17, 2020- Trump asks workforce to stay home, says he’s always known it was a pandemic

March 27, 2020- Trump signs $2.2 trillion emergency spending bill (start of funding for the 1st stimulus checks)

April 13, 2020- Trump claims ‘total’ authority over governors on openings

etc.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7285 on: March 30, 2023, 01:36:51 PM »
My take is that Trump was out of his element on things biotech, and responses to what The Really Smart People told him was probably the end of the world as we know it.

Seriously, the Chinese worked their initial PR Apocalypse stuff hard, and enough of our people believed it...

"See what their brilliant scientists are doing? Our brilliant scientists need to do the same!"
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7286 on: March 30, 2023, 02:36:42 PM »
Charby, you could at least put a little more effort into it ...

For all his many, many faults, Trump never shut down the country and by all appearances was terrified that lockdowns would trash the economy ... and more importantly his legacy.  He did not handle the pandemic well and three years ago I was legitimately worried he was going to try to shut the US down, but that never happened. 

The March 13 national emergency was to provide money to agencies like FEMA to provide medical supplies to states, allowed for flexibility in healthcare regulations, and so forth, and did not close states.  It may have been a boondoggle, but it wasn't a lockdown.

On March 17, Trump asked people to avoid gatherings of more than 10 people, practice social distancing, and follow guidelines recommended by public health officials.  This was not a "lockdown", although I'm sure it impacted some people's behavior.  On balance I don't think I'd say it was the primary driving factor for economic collapse.

Signing the emergency spending bill to send people free money definitely allowed people to be lazy and stay home and I don't like it, but it wasn't some sort of lockdown order.

In March and April of 2020 he was encouraging states to reopen their economies as quickly as possible.  His April 13th quote was in the context of having the authority to order reopenings, not closings.   If your Trumpian lap dog of a governor were really trying to follow her master, I imagine she'd have dropped all COVID measures in April.  Interesting that you are trying to use his desire to reopen states in April of 2020 to try to sell some nonsense about him wanting to close the US.

etc.

Later in 2020 (around when I got COVID despite doing all the stupid stuff that was supposed to keep me safe) he shifted and grudgingly said that some states might have to have lockdowns to slow the spread, but he didn't advocate it.

From the beginning COVID was terribly handled by Democrats and Republicans alike, but thankfully a few of us are old enough to remember what actually happened three years ago and this "Republicans shut the country down!" line is ... maybe a little inaccurate.

So exactly which pundits have sold you this story about "true believer" Republicans being just as bad as Democrats at unending lockdowns?  Have your eyes just been so blinded by COVID bleeding that you can't see how ridiculously unbelievable these claims are, or do you just figure everyone else is going to be stupid enough to forget what happened three years ago, and have no way to fact check you?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7287 on: March 30, 2023, 04:14:22 PM »
I’m not toooooo mad at Trump or any other politician (D or R) for their actions WRT covid in March an April 2020.  However, by July or so it was pretty obvious, to anyone willing to be intellectually honest, that it wasn’t Captain Tripps, and was really just the flu but more contagious and for the elderly and immune compromised more lethal, while for the young and otherwise healthy it was not THAT big a deal compared to all the other respiratory illnesses out there.  Worse, perhaps, but again nothing like for the elderly.

By then (mid summer 2020) all economic restrictions should have been lifted, and rather than continuing to spend trillions of borrowed dollars to prop up the economy we should have just let the economy do its thing.  So I am mad at trump for the spending after about July ‘20, and I’m mad at my D governor for perpetuating the restrictions on our economy since then, etc.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7288 on: March 30, 2023, 04:19:52 PM »
and I’m mad at my D governor for perpetuating the restrictions on our economy since then, etc.

In that case, you are going to be pissed when every major healthcare system in Washington state continues a mandatory masking policy after April 4th, when the state mandate ends.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7289 on: March 30, 2023, 04:23:54 PM »
In that case, you are going to be pissed when every major healthcare system in Washington state continues a mandatory masking policy after April 4th, when the state mandate ends.

That is annoying.  I can see requiring masks at ER’s, urgent care, etc, because those were always plague factories before anyway, but why does my neurologist or chiropractor have to require them?  People generally don’t go to see such folks when sick with an infectious disease.  Not being able to see my doctor’s face really bothers me.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7290 on: March 30, 2023, 07:13:06 PM »

Interesting video on efficacy of surgeons wearing masks.

https://youtu.be/2S4VEIgFrgs

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7291 on: March 30, 2023, 11:28:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure I had the SuperCrud back in the latter part of 2019, but that Couldn't Be So...

And... I wonder how many folks were killed by doctors insisting that they get intubated and put on vents...
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7292 on: March 31, 2023, 05:30:38 AM »

Perhaps your routine didn't include dealing with anyone who worked in an office prior to the pandemic.

Most agencies in my state's government shut down completely, then took their time getting employees set up to "work" from home by remote log-in and call forwarding. It's now three years later, and many state employees are still working from home part-time or full-time. It's impossible to talk to anyone at a state agency. Three weeks I called and e-mailed the office that licenses professional engineers to ask about the license of an individual who clearly broke several laws affecting his license. I called and e-mailed as a public official working for a municipality. I still have not received any response. Not even an "I am out of the office" auto-response.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7293 on: March 31, 2023, 07:01:51 AM »
My routine changed very little.

There was impact during the start of covid with everyone not being sure what was going on, and I also lost my job (thank God) right when things started getting really interesting, but I was, with the help of friends who cared for Seren, able to adapt, and then when my job ended I went and spent nearly a month with my friends and Seren at their place in the country.

Two weeks after my job ended I had a new job, but had to wait for the clearances to transfer, which took forever because EVERYTHING slowed down during covid.

But, I never stopped going to the office because what I do can't be done from home, I never stopped taking Seren to her day care because it was one of the few that actually stayed open, etc.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7294 on: March 31, 2023, 08:03:31 AM »
Perhaps your routine didn't include dealing with anyone who worked in an office prior to the pandemic.

I actually did, with the county offices. They just used the phone and email, and we got what I needed done, done. Though I could have waited a couple of months and then just gone back to seeing them in person if I wanted to drive an hour to the government center, since we didn't go crazy here and most counties and schools went back to in-person very quickly.

Though I was more talking about, regarding "change in routine" about stuff like going to the local diner and eating unmasked.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7295 on: March 31, 2023, 03:26:44 PM »
I never stopped taking Seren to her day care because it was one of the few that actually stayed open, etc.

IIRC, at one time the Chinese announced that dogs could catch Covid - And shortly after that, I was seeing fewer "work from home" hipsters in my neighborhood walking their dogs (while social distancing).
Blog under construction

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7296 on: April 09, 2023, 10:21:31 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/report-florida-officials-cut-key-data-from-vaccine-study/

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — An analysis that was the basis of a highly criticized recommendation from Florida’s surgeon general cautioning young men against getting the COVID-19 vaccine omitted information that showed catching the virus could increase the risk of a cardiac-related death much more than getting the mRNA shot, according to drafts of the analysis obtained by the Tampa Bay Times.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7297 on: April 09, 2023, 06:54:40 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/report-florida-officials-cut-key-data-from-vaccine-study/

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — An analysis that was the basis of a highly criticized recommendation from Florida’s surgeon general cautioning young men against getting the COVID-19 vaccine omitted information that showed catching the virus could increase the risk of a cardiac-related death much more than getting the mRNA shot, according to drafts of the analysis obtained by the Tampa Bay Times.

That assumes that everyone who doesn't get the vaccine will contract the virus, and nobody who does get the vaccine will.  Those are both bad assumptions. 
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7298 on: April 09, 2023, 08:27:53 PM »

That  article is a masterpiece of setting a narrative without providing any actual information.

In addition to zxcvbob's excellent point that the quoted statement imply that it's one risk or the other, (the vaccine or getting COVID) the fullness of time has proven that it's very possible to have both those conditions.  If you do, does the risk stack?

Also the article says: "The early drafts of the analysis obtained by the Times through a records request showed that catching COVID-19 could increase the chances of a cardiac-related death much more than getting the vaccine" without informing us of the underlying rate of cardiac disease for that age group, the increased rate for COVID, and the increased rate for the Vaccine.  Without that information the article is pretty meaningless. 

Either the numbers are so close that they are making a mountain out of a molehill, or they don't actually have the numbers.  Either way the only information that article manages to convey is not to trust the author.  And I'm one of the people who think the vaccine iwa the right choice for most Americans.

ETA:

I just noticed this on a reread:
The early drafts of the analysis obtained by the Times through a records request showed that catching COVID-19 could increase the chances of a cardiac-related death much more than getting the vaccine, but that information was missing from the final version put out by the Florida Department of Health last October.

Do they are mad because information they liked was edited from the report, with no indication if it was edited because FL wants to have a narrative,  or if it was edited because scientific rigor showed that information to be inaccurate once the study was completed.

And if this *expletive deleted*it was "obtained by the Times" why is it an AP byline?

And link the study AP. With the state of media theses days, lacking a primary source is a ticket to the round file. Overall this might as well be a random tweet as a news story. There is nothing of substance here.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7299 on: April 10, 2023, 12:24:36 AM »
What I mostly seem to be seeing is that the "worship the science" folks seem to be carefully choosing/ignoring data that they like/don't approve of...

Blog under construction