Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440097 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #7375 on: May 22, 2023, 12:32:39 PM »
It's OK. It's not as if he's really the president. He doesn't seem to believe it himself.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7376 on: May 22, 2023, 12:36:35 PM »
It's OK. It's not as if he's really the president. He doesn't seem to believe it himself.

Biden hasn't been the same since his 2020 Senate run
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7377 on: May 23, 2023, 01:55:39 PM »
This week, we had a couple of repeat customers come in, and spend about a grand. Each.

We have taken to calling them the Bimmer Boyz.

They wear all black. They have on full head, except for the eyes, ninja masks.

They are visibly armed... VERY visibly armed. This week, one of 'em had a Glock with a drum mag tucked under his arm...

My reaction?

"Hey, I know you can afford a holster - be discreet!"

The guy laughed. He once walked in with a .300 BO pistol stuffed down the front of his pants.

But those masks are just fine...
Blog under construction

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7378 on: May 23, 2023, 04:42:20 PM »
^^^So what are they buying?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7379 on: May 23, 2023, 04:56:22 PM »
^^^So what are they buying?

I'm guessing tire shine.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7380 on: May 23, 2023, 09:14:51 PM »
The one I was dealing with spent about a grand on struts, control arms, etc... Not sure what the other guy bought.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7381 on: May 24, 2023, 03:26:42 PM »
Oh, St. Louis still has its Covid dashboard up...

Probably paying some relative of the mayor to run it.

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/covid-19/data/index.cfm

You can click on the graphs to modify how the data is presented...
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7382 on: May 24, 2023, 03:36:37 PM »
I see that the nationwide trend is for restaurants to, finally, go back to regular menus instead of "scan the barcode and use your phone" menus.

Those barcode menus were a pain in my ass to navigate on the little phone screen, especially if it was a larger menu with lots of items.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7383 on: May 24, 2023, 04:58:01 PM »
I see that the nationwide trend is for restaurants to, finally, go back to regular menus instead of "scan the barcode and use your phone" menus.

Those barcode menus were a pain in my ass to navigate on the little phone screen, especially if it was a larger menu with lots of items.

Plus, if there was no WiFi and crappy cell service, I couldn't bring up the menu on the phone anyway.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7384 on: May 24, 2023, 10:22:36 PM »

I've never seen that here in Reno, bur I do not eat at restaurants much anymore .
Good thing too, I do not know how to do that anyway
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7385 on: May 24, 2023, 11:13:50 PM »

I haven't run into that either.  I don't eat out a whole lot, but I'd figure enough to have seen something like that.  I wonder if it's regional?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7386 on: May 25, 2023, 06:50:45 AM »
Having lunch today at a restaurant that still does the COVID menus.

Fortunately I have the same thing every time I'm there so I don't need to mess with that crap.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7387 on: May 25, 2023, 08:00:03 AM »
I wonder if it's regional?

Most certainly. Here, I saw it almost exclusively in the Boise metro. "Exclusively" as in, that's the only place I saw it, not that it was the only option. Elsewhere, even the "hip" restaurants and brewpubs still had normal menus.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #7388 on: May 25, 2023, 09:45:29 PM »
Hostess:  May I have your cell number
Me: No
Hostess: We need to text you when your table's ready
Me: I left my phone at home - I'll need a paper menu also.
7-11 was a part time job.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7389 on: May 26, 2023, 08:43:47 AM »
Hostess:  May I have your cell number
Me: No
Hostess: We need to text you when your table's ready
Me: I left my phone at home - I'll need a paper menu also.

"I see sir, you're lost again.  You are looking for the Denny's down the street.  Make sure to ask for the Senior menu"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7390 on: May 26, 2023, 08:54:17 AM »
I was kind of surprised...

Restaurant gave us real menus yesterday. None of this "scan the code on the table" that they had been doing.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7393 on: May 26, 2023, 11:32:00 AM »
[tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
That's what they want you to believe
 [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Put this heretic on the ventilator.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7394 on: May 26, 2023, 12:34:03 PM »
Hey man, it's a free country.

If folks really think that vents do more harm than good, I encourage them to annotate in their living will that they don't trust vents, or a Dr's ability to decide they are needed, and no matter what, they are not to be ventilated.  Make sure your family understands your wishes.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7395 on: May 26, 2023, 07:13:42 PM »

If folks really think that vents do more harm than good, I encourage them to annotate in their living will that they don't trust vents, or a Dr's ability to decide they are needed, and no matter what, they are not to be ventilated.  Make sure your family understands your wishes.

The risk manager would appreciate it if this document was witnessed and notarized, too. 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7396 on: May 27, 2023, 09:44:07 AM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2023/05/25/false-claim-ventilators-blamed-for-most-covid-19-deaths-fact-check/70234380007/

https://www.jci.org/articles/view/170682/pdf

Ventilators were not killing Covid patients after all.

“Nearly all COVID-19 patients who died in hospital during the early phase of the pandemic were killed as a direct result of being put on a ventilator, a disturbing new report has concluded,” the article begins.  [their use of quotation marks, not mine]

Notice this is the claim the Fact Checker™ says is false.  Nearly all.  Also, "direct result".  They refute that, and implies that few or even none of the Covid-19 patients were killed by misuse of the ventilators.  It's bad fact-checking and bad journalism again.  Take an over-stated claim and refute that, and by implication anyone who believes there might be some truth in there is a gullible idiot.

I downloaded the JCI report and am trying to read it.  It's written in technical English with a lot of jargon I don't understand (that's fine, I'm not the intended reader,) but it looks like the ventilators may have been a secondary cause of death rather than primary.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't; without the ventilator the patient dies, with the ventilator the patient gets bacterial pneumonia and dies because the ventilator is used for so long.
"It's good, though..."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #7397 on: May 27, 2023, 10:02:42 AM »
"I see sir, you're lost again.  You are looking for the Denny's down the street.  Make sure to ask for the Senior menu"
What? Huh!?!
Can't ya speak up!?!
 :rofl:
7-11 was a part time job.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7398 on: May 27, 2023, 10:39:48 AM »

Don't you think maybe questioning the ventilator protocols used at the time that seems correlated to so many deaths is a good thing?  Perhaps the ventilators were needed but they used them incorrectly out of ignorance.  Or once ventilator therapy was started, steroids or Remdesivir should not be given.  Or they need different prophylactic antibiotics.  I'm glad someone is studying it and hope it doesn't just degenerate into a "we conducted a thorough examination of ourselves and determined that we did nothing wrong"
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7399 on: May 27, 2023, 10:55:27 AM »
“Nearly all COVID-19 patients who died in hospital during the early phase of the pandemic were killed as a direct result of being put on a ventilator, a disturbing new report has concluded,”

Think we're running into the same issue as "Died from COVID" vs "Died with COVID"

Did these people died  because they were put on ventilators or after they were put on ventilators? Due to a shortage of ventilators only the most critical and thus the most likely to die would be put on ventilators. Looking at the numbers out of context after the fact I can see how this could give someone the impression the problem is with the ventilators
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes