Author Topic: What the Hell Iowa ?  (Read 3356 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
What the Hell Iowa ?
« on: February 19, 2020, 08:21:51 AM »
https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinknews.co.uk%2F2020%2F02%2F17%2Frepublican-dennis-guth-iowa-senate-marriage-licence-divorce-2130-bill%2F&h=AT3vl8bcGNAG5tZL_j3eq5e2Z3q-2rrMKVbjTGT36RHeD53VLAcOZKsC-838T7Vuh8FfIFYimxfm_Q_O2j9l-eyCf6X_a-mJNk6tZlt-jT59awKuzeCf4SL6OTzWVLQ&s=1

Um no, this is about as dumb as a bag of hammers. I can't believe people like him get elected.

Basically, Republican wants to create a record of people’s sexual orientation and hand down harsh penalties to those who lie. (As the title of the article states)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: What the Hell Iowa ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 08:49:27 AM »
If you ever wonder why I've gone Libertarian...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 09:03:29 AM »
If you ever wonder why I've gone Libertarian...

So you can change your gender at will?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 09:05:58 AM »
So... Any link to the actual bill rather than an interest group's fear-mongering interpretation of it?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 09:13:09 AM »
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=SF2130&ga=88

https://globegazette.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/new-iowa-marriage-license-requirement-would-require-couples-to-disclose/article_6022dc0a-906e-5624-9562-5786484ea78c.html
Misrepresentation or nondisclosure would constitute fraudulent concealment of sexual orientation, which could be a factor in determining the custody arrangement that is in the best interest of a child if the marriage is dissolved.  A court could find a “rebuttable presumption” against the awarding of joint custody if it was determined one party fraudulently concealed a sexual orientation.

Sen. Dennis Guth, R-Klemme, said he brought Senate File 2130 on behalf of a constituent who was involved in a marriage dissolution “where her spouse falsified his sexual orientation and then later on she was not able to reveal that when she went to court. So this is just going to allow people in that specific situation to voice this in court,” he said.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 09:46:53 AM »
Seems to me there is a better way to address that than adding another category to the driver's license database. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 09:47:49 AM »
Weird that the alphabet people wanted .gov to get involved in promoting and recognizing their sexual and relationship status, but complain when .gov get involved with recognizing their sexual and relationship status.  >:D

Se also: be careful for what you wish for, you might get it, good and hard.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 09:49:23 AM »
Seems to me there is a better way to address that than adding another category to the driver's license database. 
Marriage licenses, I believe.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 11:08:31 AM »
I wonder if he a conversion therapy person.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »
I wonder if he a conversion therapy person.
I don't know how much that really matters.  My main issue the reflexive BigGov solution when it is obviously unnecessary.

I think the example cordex quoted isn't a bad reason to do "something".  He is trying to drag everyone into a "solution" that really only needs to involve those getting married; and doesn't need to use a new govt database at all. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 11:28:23 AM »
I don't know how much that really matters.  My main issue the reflexive BigGov solution when it is obviously unnecessary.

I think the example cordex quoted isn't a bad reason to do "something".  He is trying to drag everyone into a "solution" that really only needs to involve those getting married; and doesn't need to use a new govt database at all. 

Sounds like the solution to a problem that is likely rare.  Does said legislator have any data to back up that this is some kind of problem?
I could also argue that any sort of marital betrayal is fraud.  Much like frauding an investor out of money, if you enter into a contract and decide to break the contract is that not fraud?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 11:35:11 AM »
Much like frauding an investor out of money, if you enter into a contract and decide to break the contract is that not fraud?

Worse, if that fraud leads to taking 1/2 of everything that investor owns, plus a portion of future earnings.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 11:47:32 AM »

Is this about marriage licenses or driver's licenses?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 11:55:43 AM »
Is this about marriage licenses or driver's licenses?
My mistake.  I pulled up the original link on my phone earlier and I could have sworn it said driver's license but it does not.  That does narrow the scope of this down a bit.  Not sure what I think about that part. 

Sen. Dennis Guth, R-Klemme, said he brought Senate File 2130 on behalf of a constituent who was involved in a marriage dissolution “where her spouse falsified his sexual orientation and then later on she was not able to reveal that when she went to court. So this is just going to allow people in that specific situation to voice this in court,” he said.
Is there another way to do this without modifying marriage licenses?  I am not sure why this woman was not able to bring this up in court.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 11:59:19 AM »
Sounds like the solution to a problem that is likely rare.  Does said legislator have any data to back up that this is some kind of problem?
I could also argue that any sort of marital betrayal is fraud.  Much like frauding an investor out of money, if you enter into a contract and decide to break the contract is that not fraud?

Iowa is a no fault divorce state.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 12:21:53 PM »
Iowa is a no fault divorce state.

Well that makes it even more vexing.  Why single out sexual orientation?  Why not marital infidelity? Financial infidelity? 
JD

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 12:48:07 PM »
Well that makes it even more vexing.  Why single out sexual orientation?  Why not marital infidelity? Financial infidelity? 

Are people supposed to declare they're adulterous or financially fraudulent, when applying for a marriage license? Sexual orientation is supposed to be a basic fact of one's identity now.

This may or may not be good legislation, but it sounds like we're getting butthurt simply because a Republican said something about sexual orientation, so we must assume the worst, and crack wise about conversion therapy.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 12:50:47 PM »
Worse, if that fraud leads to taking 1/2 of everything that investor owns, plus a portion of future earnings.

Spot on.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 01:05:35 PM »
I think I oppose this bill on principle, but the alarmist version as presented by charby's chosen source is ... misleading at best.

This may or may not be good legislation, but it sounds like we're getting butthurt simply because a Republican said something about sexual orientation, so we must assume the worst, and crack wise about conversion therapy.
It sounds so much better to say "THEY'RE REGISTERING LGBTQRS AND HANDING DOWN HARSH PENALTIES!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2020, 01:10:03 PM »
I think I oppose this bill on principle, but the alarmist version as presented by charby's chosen source is ... misleading at best.
It sounds so much better to say "THEY'RE REGISTERING LGBTQRS AND HANDING DOWN HARSH PENALTIES!"

Yup. When it comes to any of the diverse, rainbow-colored issues, the content of Republican/conservative speech doesn't matter. Anything we say is wrong.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 02:11:42 PM »
My wife and I count numerous gay married couples amongst our friends, and several of them were first in straight marriages.  As I think about it, the majority of the people who came out in the straight marriage and divorced their partners were women.  Huh.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 02:33:39 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 02:24:32 PM »
My wife and I count numerous gay married gay couples amongst our friends, and several of them were first in straight marriages.  As I think about it, the majority of the people who came out in the straight marriage and divorced their partners were women.  Huh. 
I know a number of cases where this has happened as well (although slightly trending toward the male side).  As with most divorces it really sucks for the kids.  It is a nasty and selfish thing to bring children into a marriage knowing it will fail.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 10:46:20 PM »
I know a number of cases where this has happened as well (although slightly trending toward the male side).  As with most divorces it really sucks for the kids.  It is a nasty and selfish thing to bring children into a marriage knowing it will fail.

So do we need to say its ok to be homosexual and be with who you love? Not feel judged that you have failed as a human and subject yourself to a relationship you really don't want to be in?

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 11:17:08 PM »
So do we need to say its ok to be homosexual and be with who you love? Not feel judged that you have failed as a human and subject yourself to a relationship you really don't want to be in?
So stunning and brave in this benighted age where homosexuality is all but illegal, amirite?
It would be just awful for someone or some group of people to judge someone for something. Worse still that it only happens to homosexuals.