Author Topic: What the Hell Iowa ?  (Read 3355 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: What the Hell Iowa ?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2020, 07:45:09 AM »
So stunning and brave in this benighted age where homosexuality is all but illegal, amirite?
It would be just awful for someone or some group of people to judge someone for something. Worse still that it only happens to homosexuals.

Well your snark shows you really don't care about the problem posted before my last post.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2020, 08:44:18 AM »
Well your snark shows you really don't care about the problem posted before my last post.
Hardly.  It shows that I really don't care about weak excuses people give for making terrible choices that impact other people.  For that matter, my complaint was intentionally not limited to homosexuals.

Your implication appeared to be that because homosexuals are so disparaged and judged in [current year] that they are forced into heterosexual marriages and forced to conceive children and finally forced to leave that loveless marriage for their true love.  If [current year] was 1955 I'd agree with you.  Hell, if current year was 1985 I might agree with you.  Today?  No.

Yes, even today a homosexual person may face judgement by friends, family, coworkers, whoever.  So might a fat person, an alcoholic, a Trump supporter, a hunter, a libertarian, a member of any given religion, a flat-earther, or an essential oils fanatic.  Big deal.  If they choose to make bad choices that impact other people that is ultimately on them, not because people judged them.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2020, 08:49:01 AM »
Hardly.  It shows that I really don't care about weak excuses people give for making terrible choices that impact other people.  For that matter, my complaint was intentionally not limited to homosexuals.

Your implication appeared to be that because homosexuals are so disparaged and judged in [current year] that they are forced into heterosexual marriages and forced to conceive children and finally forced to leave that loveless marriage for their true love.  If [current year] was 1955 I'd agree with you.  Hell, if current year was 1985 I might agree with you.  Today?  No.

Yes, even today a homosexual person may face judgement by friends, family, coworkers, whoever.  So might a fat person, an alcoholic, a Trump supporter, a hunter, a libertarian, a member of any given religion, a flat-earther, or an essential oils fanatic.  Big deal.  If they choose to make bad choices that impact other people that is ultimately on them, not because people judged them.

The folks you mentioned in an earlier post wouldn't of been married today, but 10 or 20 years ago.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2020, 08:55:26 AM »
The folks you mentioned in an earlier post wouldn't of been married today, but 10 or 20 years ago.
Okay I guess?  And what do you think that proves?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2020, 09:08:56 AM »

And that applies to a change in the marriage licenses being granted today, how?

I have to say I'm confused by all of this.

I thought the government got to decide what constitutes a marriage and could put any or no restrictions on it as they liked. It's just a contract after all and this is but another restriction put on the contract. What's the big deal?

Sure, it's an issue that affects a minuscule part of the population, but what is the government for, but to cater to the whims of vanishingly small minorities?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2020, 09:27:25 AM »
It seems like the issue here is people who go into marriages knowing they will probably not honor the vows of the marriage.  That is a problem.  It would be a problem even if they weren't gay.  Plus, I don't think anyone is saying they can't get divorced, just that if they lied going into the marriage, it might affect what they get in the divorce or maybe dissolve the marriage.

I am generally not opposed to the idea.  I don't know if this is the best way to do it or if it should be focused just on sexual orientation.    
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2020, 11:23:26 AM »
Okay I guess?  And what do you think that proves?

That 10, 20 or more years ago, there was no accepted understanding that folks could be homosexual and it wasn't a "fixable problem". So they suppressed their true desires due to society telling them it was wrong to be homosexual or being shunned because of it, married someone of a different sex, had children, then since it is more acceptable, they came out, dumped their spouse and children may of suffered. If it was different years ago, they wouldn't of married someone of the opposite sex and had children with them, hence not causing the problem you really didn't seem to concerned about, but need to post about it.

...and back to my OP, why do we need to have an official label on peoples sexual orientation on a government document? We might as well make the Jews were a Star of David on their clothing while were at it. Plus as I said earlier Iowa is a no fault divorce state, don't need to prove a marital fault in court to get divorced.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2020, 12:39:18 PM »
That 10, 20 or more years ago, there was no accepted understanding that folks could be homosexual and it wasn't a "fixable problem".
I'm old enough to remember way back ten or twenty years ago, and had at least two friends who were homosexual at the time.  Brokeback Mountain came out right smack dab in that range.  Will and Grace was in its third season twenty years ago.  Granted we've shifted even more since then and homosexuality has moved beyond well the point where toleration is sufficient to where there is an expectation of celebration, but I don't think you're correctly remembering the period.

So they suppressed their true desires due to society telling them it was wrong to be homosexual or being shunned because of it, married someone of a different sex, had children, then since it is more acceptable, they came out, dumped their spouse and children may of suffered.
Exactly how much acceptance and tolerance is necessary before you consider them responsible for their own choices? 

If it was different years ago, they wouldn't of married someone of the opposite sex and had children with them,
So at the very least we agree that this isn't a valid excuse today.

hence not causing the problem you really didn't seem to concerned about, but need to post about it.
Explain again how I "really didn't seem to[sic] concerned about" the problem of people entering into a child-bearing relationship in bad faith to those children's detriment.  You keep saying that like it's true and implying the only way for kids' lives not to be unnecessarily turned upside down is for society to be even more accepting of homosexuality and the adults who choose to make the terrible choices that harm those children are actually the victims.

...and back to my OP, why do we need to have an official label on peoples sexual orientation on a government document?
I don't disagree with this.

We might as well make the Jews were a Star of David on their clothing while were at it.
;/ Yes, that is exactly the same thing.

Plus as I said earlier Iowa is a no fault divorce state, don't need to prove a marital fault in court to get divorced.
I thought the issue the legislator here was trying to address was the fact that during the divorce his constituent was for some reason not allowed to bring up the fact that her ex-husband had entered into the relationship in bad faith during the divorce proceedings.  I agree that his solution is stupid and heavy-handed, but that doesn't mean there is absolutely no issue.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2020, 01:23:46 PM »
I'm old enough to remember way back ten or twenty years ago, and had at least two friends who were homosexual at the time.  Brokeback Mountain came out right smack dab in that range.  Will and Grace was in its third season twenty years ago.  Granted we've shifted even more since then and homosexuality has moved beyond well the point where toleration is sufficient to where there is an expectation of celebration, but I don't think you're correctly remembering the period.

Sounds like I got a black friend response, when ones says they aren't racist.

I'm old enough to remember teenagers getting the *expletive deleted*it beat out them by other teens and sometimes their parents if they were suspected of being a homosexual. Had three students in HS commit suicide because they were homosexual and felt they would never be accepted, at least that is what their suicide notes said. 2 male and 1 female. Had a few more botched suicide attempts, they came out later and talked about why they did it, same as above. HS was 1989-1992.

Exactly how much acceptance and tolerance is necessary before you consider them responsible for their own choices? 

Perhaps everyone needs to quit shunning folks for being homosexual, one doesn't need to accept it, but one does need to realize that one doesn't choose to be a homosexual and the homosexuals aren't out to convert everyone.

Do you really think people have a choice to be a homosexual or not?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2020, 01:26:49 PM »
So do we need to say its ok to be homosexual and be with who you love? Not feel judged that you have failed as a human and subject yourself to a relationship you really don't want to be in?

No one has ever explained why homosexuals shouldn't have to feel judged for their behavior. The rest of us have to feel the shame of our moral failures. Why shouldn't they?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2020, 01:32:05 PM »
Do you really think people have a choice to be a homosexual or not?

Does a guy who cheats on his wife have a choice on whether or not he sleeps around?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2020, 01:34:37 PM »
No one has ever explained why homosexuals shouldn't have to feel judged for their behavior. The rest of us have to feel the shame of our moral failures. Why shouldn't they?

"Moral failure" of homosexually is only subject to the person that believes it is. It is not an universal opinion.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2020, 01:37:23 PM »
Well, predictably, this thread went to hell in a rainbow basket.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”