Author Topic: Interesting discovery - .wav files in your CD player  (Read 979 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Interesting discovery - .wav files in your CD player
« on: March 02, 2007, 08:10:39 AM »
Having never paid attention to it - and not being the kind to play audio CDs on my computer - I never realized that the music files were in .wav format.  Got me to thinking (which is usually very, very dangersous...).  "Self", said I, "does that mean that any file in .wav format can be copied to a CD and played in any CD player?"  Well, Self answered and said, "What the heck, try it!"

The end result, well, let's just say that it DOES work and I now have a whole CD full of Looney Tunes sound clips that I can kick over to and surprise my passengers.  grin

Brad

p.s. - In case you were wondering, if the .wav file is less than two seconds long Nero won't let you use it in the compilation.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Interesting discovery - .wav files in your CD player
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:41:43 AM »
some moderne cd players are mp3 compliant

you can put ~an hour (74 minutes) on a cd as audio music files
as mp3s you can stuff 10 hours of music on 1 cdr

to cheap to buy an ipod?
a portable mp3 playing cd diskman is 40 bucks
each cdr can be a 700 meg ipod

http://www.nextag.com/portable-mp3-cd-player/search-html
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 10:03:46 AM »
Not news to the audio-aware.

I would go so far as to say the CD is obsolete, and became obsolete when hard drive space made ripping practical. When the CD was developed, nobody could imagine any other way to store a monstrous 750Mb of data. Nowadays, the same size disc can hold tons more (DVD). On either disc, you can fit more music, even losslessly, on the same disc as data files, and with the current state of technology, a CD player might as well read the CD, then play back the data files from flash memory or a buffer. There is no reason to actually play the music off the disc in real time anymore, and hasn't been for years. It's silly.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 10:13:59 AM »
Not news to the audio-aware.

I would go so far as to say the CD is obsolete, and became obsolete when hard drive space made ripping practical. When the CD was developed, nobody could imagine any other way to store a monstrous 750Mb of data. Nowadays, the same size disc can hold tons more (DVD). On either disc, you can fit more music, even losslessly, on the same disc as data files, and with the current state of technology, a CD player might as well read the CD, then play back the data files from flash memory or a buffer. There is no reason to actually play the music off the disc in real time anymore, and hasn't been for years. It's silly.

But Redbook audio format is still around, thankfully, because, being 25+ years old, it's impossible to DRM. You can't copy-protect a CD, thus, you're able to rip them.

SACD, which WAS DRM'ed, has failed.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 10:19:43 AM »
Indeed, the CD has no DRM, because nobody probably thought ripping would be as simple as it has become. I always get my music on CD for that reason, I will not pay for downloads if they are compressed and/or have DRM. I don't actually play the discs though, they are alphabetized on the shelf; I use my computer hooked up to my stereo.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mfree

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 11:12:24 AM »
If the .wav is less than two seconds, open up the WAV editor and pad it with silence front and back.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 11:14:40 AM »
I've been wanting to test the CD player in my truck to see if would play mp3s.  I guess I'll have to get off my backside and do it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 11:16:04 AM »
So, is there a "preferred" sampling rate when recording for audio CDs?

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 11:25:11 AM »
44.1 kHz

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 11:25:35 AM »
I find that 192kbps works well for me.  My hearing isn't quite good enough to really appreciate that rate, but it doesn't sound as good at 128kbps.
Given that, anything higher than 192kbps would be wasted disk space.  YMMV.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 11:35:30 AM »
-HankB

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 03:39:05 PM »
Technically the files on the CD are in CDDA format.   Your copy of Windows shows them as .WAV files in the explorer window and can extract them directly to your hard drive as WAV files.  If you popped it into a Mac they would show as a different format (I'm blanking on the common Mac audio format at the moment).
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln