Author Topic: Army Guys on Scooters  (Read 1641 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Army Guys on Scooters
« on: February 22, 2020, 08:29:02 AM »
The new Army tacto-scooter. Will ripped ACU pants (see video) be a requirement for being issued one?  :laugh:

https://electrek.co/2020/02/13/us-army-testing-all-terrain-electric-scooter-ezraider-dsraider/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Army Guys on Scooters
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 11:30:05 AM »
The new Army tacto-scooter. Will ripped ACU pants (see video) be a requirement for being issued one?  :laugh:

https://electrek.co/2020/02/13/us-army-testing-all-terrain-electric-scooter-ezraider-dsraider/

MSRP of $19,000 for the Army version.  The cheap version is only $8k.   Yeah, I don't think so, Tim.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 12:01:04 PM »
I can't give an educated opinion on it's value to the military, but damn, it looks awesome!

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »
I can't give an educated opinion on it's value to the military, but damn, it looks awesome!

Put tracks on it, then it would be kickass transport for ice fishing and running long trap lines.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 12:19:10 PM »
Put tracks on it, then it would be kickass transport for ice fishing and running long trap lines.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 12:20:59 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 12:22:33 PM »
Durable, for sure.  A few rounds come flying in and the tires are gone.
I suppose they can have their batteries recharged while the tires are being replaced.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 12:26:11 PM »
Durable, for sure.  A few rounds come flying in and the tires are gone.
I suppose they can have their batteries recharged while the tires and rider are being replaced.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 12:44:06 PM »
Looks like that side-to side or "swinging" movement of the wheels has some advantages on rough terrain.

I dont see it as any kind of a "raider," but more of a Jeep (General Purpose = "Jee - p) type of vehicle, as in for guard duty, perimeter patrol, and light haulage.  And a great toy.

Maybe I'm wrong, but a  battery capacity of 3 kWh seems a little light.  

I hope those torn knees are just a  pure fashion statement. :eyeroll:

Terry
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 12:59:35 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 12:49:51 PM »
Groundpounders taking baby steps, some day they have to elevate their aspirations.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a18919/the-chinese-army-is-going-full-james-bond/

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 01:50:34 PM »
Wouldn't they be better served and cheaper with ATVs and UTVs which are already mass produced, carry more, and go faster?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 02:01:14 PM »
Groundpounders taking baby steps, some day they have to elevate their aspirations.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a18919/the-chinese-army-is-going-full-james-bond/

bob

What would the back blast of that rocket launcher do to the gyro-copter stuff behind that guy?

Also, no armor and probably doesn't go fast enough to avoid small arms fire.  For patrol of their own territory, it might work fine.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 02:04:45 PM »
Wouldn't they be better served and cheaper with ATVs and UTVs which are already mass produced, carry more, and go faster?

The range and range with 400 lbs of stuff is what I want to know.  IMO, that is a big part of the value.  Why it would be better than the equivalent 4 wheel ATV I am not sure.

I question how valuable it would be on patrol as the driver isn't paying much attention to his surroundings on rough terrain.  It ought to be quiet being electric which is a plus.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 02:05:11 PM »

Check out Captain Buzzkill over here.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 08:22:45 PM »
What would the back blast of that rocket launcher do to the gyro-copter stuff behind that guy? And the guy sitting next to him?  Or the pilot, if the rocket launcher were pointed to the rear?

Also, no armor and probably doesn't go fast enough to avoid small arms fire.  For patrol of their own territory, it might work fine.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2020, 08:26:20 PM »

Also, no armor and probably doesn't go fast enough to avoid small arms fire.  For patrol of their own territory, it might work fine.

Fine for taking out Kung Flu Zombies
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2020, 09:09:01 PM »

Have you ever watched Pentagon Wars?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 11:46:08 PM »
That's a crippling injury generator.  Imagine trying to ride it wearing 100lbs of crap and the dynamic loading on your joints.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 11:53:06 PM »
Have you ever watched Pentagon Wars?

Yes, excellent movie. Also watched the Osprey get rammed down our throats. Key word down. As in down arrows on the status board. Anyone with any experience in maintenance could tell you how bad that thing was going to suck to keep working in the field.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 08:08:15 AM »
Yes, excellent movie. Also watched the Osprey get rammed down our throats. Key word down. As in down arrows on the status board. Anyone with any experience in maintenance could tell you how bad that thing was going to suck to keep working in the field.

Didn't Leatherneck (man, I miss that guy) once mention bailing out of an Osprey prototype over Maryland?

KGB brings up a really good point. Especially, as mentioned, these things don't have a much smaller footprint than an ATV, where you can efficiently strap gear. Unless they can articulate the suspension much more than an ATV for very rough terrain, I don't see the point other than trying to turn soldiers into hipsters.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 01:12:34 PM »
Maybe I'm just an old boomer but I'm not seeing an advantage over an ATV or an electric bicycle.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 03:06:15 PM »
I a 4 or 6 seat ATV wouldn't be a great deal bigger and could haul a lot more cargo.  IMO, hauling heavier supplies across rough terrain is a big part of the point. 

And being electric, it didn't say anything about range under load.  Is part of the cargo a small generator to charge the battery?