Author Topic: Ben's Monthly Amazon Rant  (Read 1908 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Ben's Monthly Amazon Rant
« on: March 01, 2020, 12:10:25 PM »
My Amazon rant for the month: I'm beginning to hate Amazon Music. It just in the last couple of days went through my offline music again and wiped out dozens of songs in my various playlists. Of course every time they do it, it also wonks the playlist so when it gets to the pulled (greyed out) song, it simply stops playing the playlist instead of moving on to the next available song.

Undoubtedly they were Amazon Prime songs, but I'm getting sick of paying for Prime, being offered songs via Prime Music, then randomly having those songs pulled. They end up still being offered "free" in Prime, but from a different album. So I either have to go through all the pulled songs individually, choose their new prime source, then one at a time add them back to my playlists, or what I've been doing now, just spending $20-$30 to buy them all which keeps Amazon's hands off of them.

I think I'm going to just set aside like 4-6 hours at some point and pull all my downloaded music from the Amazon player and just move it to the Samsung music player on my phone, which always gives me zero issues.

My sneaking suspicion is that Amazon just wants everyone to quit using Prime Music and switch to Unlimited so they can charge everyone more.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Ben's Monthly Amazon Rant
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 10:09:10 PM »

"My sneaking suspicion is that Amazon just wants everyone to quit using Prime Music and switch to Unlimited so they can charge everyone more."

You're just being paranoid.  Merchants don't pull shady stuff like that just to make you part with more money.  I'll bet you even think there are people in the company who get bonuses for thinking up nefarious scams.  Nothing could be further from the truth.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 11:01:02 PM »
I pay for spotify, and even with that I've considered going back to wholesale piracy of the stuff I like, and making playlists on winamp like it's 1999.  Can't imagine what it's like on Amazon or youtube red

Software as a service is gay.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:21:18 AM »
My solution is that I don't use the playlists anymore. I just ask Alexa to play a specific song and then play other songs like that.

And skip the crappy ones that may arise.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 08:26:58 AM »
I pay for spotify, and even with that I've considered going back to wholesale piracy of the stuff I like, and making playlists on winamp like it's 1999.  Can't imagine what it's like on Amazon or youtube red

Software as a service is gay.

That's kinda where I am. After recently reviving my Creative Zen player, I'm remembering how much cleaner having an "isolated" player is. Amazon Music is absolutely convenient for finding music, but  I think I'm going to spend a little time to start moving the music elsewhere.

If  I could play online music everywhere, it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but most of the day when I'm listening to music, I'm out farting around on the farm and out of wireless range, and music eats into my phone's data plan (when I even have a 4G signal available), so I rely on offline playlists.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 09:16:20 AM »
I just turn the radio on and I have 4 or 5 stations that play all sorts of music.  It's also free.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 09:24:28 AM »
I just turn the radio on and I have 4 or 5 stations that play all sorts of music.  It's also free.

Sure, if you want the state and the commies to pick the songs you listen to. :P  :laugh:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 12:59:10 PM »
grampster's just age-virtue-signaling again. I know how to spot that kind of thing.

Actually, the Commies came up with some pretty good music.  So did the Polacks and 'Spanics and Frogs and Krauts.

Brit music is pretty insipid, like their cuisine food.

Now there I go, culture-virtue-signaling again.

"Thou shalt not rip."

Now there I go, moral-virtue-signaling again.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:12:13 PM by 230RN »

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 01:20:07 PM »
Ben:

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 08:30:54 PM »
Pandora, the free version. Listening to it now.

Check out HeroHog's Radio on Pandora for A mix of Blues, Funk, New Orleans Funk/Second Line, Classic Rock, Swamp Pop, and even the odd Reggae song or two! Includes: (The) Animals, Arc Angels, Bill Withers, Black Oak Arkansas, Brother Strut, Bugs Henderson, Canned Heat, Chris Duarte Group, (The) Commodores, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Delbert McClinton, (The) Doors, Dr. John, Dumpstaphunk, Eric Clapton, Eric Gales, Galactic, Gov't Mule, Grand Funk Railroad, Indigenous, (The) J.B.'s, J.J. Cale, James Brown, James Gang, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers, Johnny Winter, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, (The) Meters, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, Papa Mali, Peter Green, Pink Floyd, (The) Radiators, Robin Trower, (The) Rolling Stones, Shannon Curfman, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Stiff Necked Fools, (The) Subdudes, Tab Benoit, Ten Years After, Tower Of Power, Vallejo, and more!
   https://www.pandora.com/station/play/98288836329906225
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 09:33:01 PM »

If  I could play online music everywhere, it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but most of the day when I'm listening to music, I'm out farting around on the farm and out of wireless range, and music eats into my phone's data plan (when I even have a 4G signal available), so I rely on offline playlists.

There must be a player app, and you can store a lot of music on a 64GB microSD card.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 09:34:44 PM »
"Thou shalt not rip."

Now there I go, moral-virtue-signaling again.

Which commandment is that again?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 09:40:06 PM »
There must be a player app, and you can store a lot of music on a 64GB microSD card.

There is, and the one I was using was called Amazon Music. It's a pain in the ass to recreate multiple playlists with hundreds of songs on a different app. which is why I liked offline mode with Amazon until they started screwing with my downloaded music there. Now I have to go through the pain in the ass if I don't want to use Amazon as my main player.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 09:56:23 PM »
That's kinda where I am. After recently reviving my Creative Zen player, I'm remembering how much cleaner having an "isolated" player is. Amazon Music is absolutely convenient for finding music, but  I think I'm going to spend a little time to start moving the music elsewhere.

That's exactly where I'm at.  I MISS having a playlist of stuff I picked, in the order I want it.  I really notice when I'm running on a trail vs a treadmill.  It's not a big deal to dick around with my phone on a treadmill but it really messes with my zen and stride outdoors.   Being in the Midwest sucks for many reasons, but at least we've got 4G pretty much everywhere flat.  That said,  You can totally download everything you like on Spotify and listen to it wherever.  Got a lot of mileage out of that in Allegheny National Forest.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 10:05:58 PM »
Posted on wrong thread