Author Topic: Texas Election Results, the math is telling  (Read 1239 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Texas Election Results, the math is telling
« on: March 04, 2020, 02:36:54 PM »
A quick review of election primaries is telling. With 99% reporting, Trump has more votes than Biden, Sanders, Bloomberg, and Warren combined (1,879,877 versus 1,858,516). The remainder of Dem votes (201,614) are spread across the thirteen remaining candidates with Buttigieg and Klouchar representing 62.1% (125,169 combined).

I read that as the Dems being heavily fractured, but I'm also not naive enough to miss the fact that Dem turnout topped Republican turnout by more than 62K votes (2,060,130 vs. 1,997,685). As fractured as Dems are, if Conservatives don't turn out to vote, there's still a very real possibility a Dem candidate will win come November.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Texas Election Results, the math is telling
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 02:39:46 PM »
Concerning, but how much is R's saying, Trump is going to be the nominee, there's no need to vote in the primary, and how much is R's going to the polls and voting for a down ticket D to help widen that fracture?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 02:45:02 PM »
No doubt Texas is getting bluer than it used to be, but comparing a contested primary to an uncontested one doesn't seem very informative.
As fractured as Dems are, if Conservatives don't turn out to vote, there's still a very real possibility a Dem candidate will win come November.
That's always the case - why would this year be any different  ???
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 02:50:15 PM »
Concerning, but how much is R's saying, Trump is going to be the nominee, there's no need to vote in the primary, and how much is R's going to the polls and voting for a down ticket D to help widen that fracture?

So...almost 2 million people took the time to go vote in a primary for the only candidate?  More than voted for the three front runners in the opposing party, combined?
I didn't bother going out to vote yesterday.  Trump is the R nominee so there wasn't a reason.  Only temptation was to vote for Biden or Warren in the D primary to help upset the apple cart.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 04:27:34 PM »
I was wondering if any R's tried to do their own Operation Chaos by voting in the D primary.  I remember that wasn't uncommon back when it was Obama vs Hillary. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 04:34:24 PM »
So...almost 2 million people took the time to go vote in a primary for the only candidate?  More than voted for the three front runners in the opposing party, combined?
I didn't bother going out to vote yesterday.  Trump is the R nominee so there wasn't a reason.  Only temptation was to vote for Biden or Warren in the D primary to help upset the apple cart.

This.

How do Trump's Texas numbers compare to other seated incumbent Presidents that were up for another term and had a pro-forma primary vote?  I know he blew away Obama, Bush W., and Clinton in the New Hampshire primaries outperforming them by 2-3x. The only incumbent President he didn't beat was Reagan.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 05:00:39 PM »
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/01/presidential-race-fuels-large-texas-primary-turnou/

There is a graph 3/4 of the way down the page that I can't seem to copy here.  Mixed history, but 2008 and 2016 were big turnout years for the prospective parties.  2016 had a lot more R voters, but 2 million was still much more than other past primaries since 2000. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 05:20:25 PM »
Out of curiosity, were there any other significant primary races at issue in TX?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 06:07:22 PM »
I was wondering if any R's tried to do their own Operation Chaos by voting in the D primary.  I remember that wasn't uncommon back when it was Obama vs Hillary. 

I am registered as an Independent here in NC.  At the polling place yesterday I was told I could have one of three ballots, Democrat, Republican or Libertarian.  I gave a serious but brief thought to taking a Democrat ballot just to do my own Operation Chaos.  After accepting a Republican ballot I told the poll worker about how I almost selected a Democrat ballot "because I am evil that way".  He thought it quite funny and wished he could have done it his own self.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 09:54:54 PM »
Probably going to vote Bernie in the WA primary.  Figure that'll compromise down ticket races more than Biden.