Author Topic: US signs peace deal with the Taliban  (Read 2479 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
US signs peace deal with the Taliban
« on: February 29, 2020, 09:36:08 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2020/02/29/810537586/u-s-signs-peace-deal-with-taliban-after-nearly-2-decades-of-war-in-afghanistan?utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3Tm8jJmcapPOYfYA0O88kJ5rD6qspgD50Kasy5WBuiueL9K8gW5CM0hlc

All US, Coalition and security contractor forces to be out of Afghanistan within 14 months.  The Afghanistan war has cost almost 2400 American lives and over $1 trillion. I wish the Afghans well and will be curious to see if the country holds together.  Much respect to President Trump for accomplishing this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: US signs peace deal with the Taliban
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »
curious to see if the country holds together.  

Afghanistan is nothing more than a collection of tribes that have hated each other long before we got involved and will remain so long after we're gone. They have no national identity in any way shape or form as we understand it and I seriously doubt they ever will. The other thing they hate more than each other is outsiders. Ask the British and the Russians.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 10:19:26 AM »
Afghanistan is nothing more than a collection of tribes that have hated each other long before we got involved and will remain so long after we're gone. They have no national identity in any way shape or form as we understand it and I seriously doubt they ever will. The other thing they hate more than each other is outsiders. Ask the British and the Russians.

Yeah, I'm kinda of "meh" on the whole thing. I agree that it's  good Trump did this, but history shows it's always a losing proposition dealing with these people. They hate everybody in general, and always take turns hating each other. It's a millennia length game that I don't see changing anytime soon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 11:07:37 AM »
Agreed that nothing will change in A-stan.  Hopefully we'll actually withdraw instead of sticking around when the Taliban eventually renege on the deal.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 11:27:17 AM »
They are not the enemy of our country we need to be so concerned with that we need to occupy their land.

Bigger fish to fry out there.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 11:33:12 AM »
Has the Taliban violated the terms of the deal yet?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 12:00:01 PM »
About all it should say is "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'.  We'll be gone in x weeks.  *expletive deleted*ck with us and we won't have the mercy you've been used to getting.  Have a nice day."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 06:28:00 PM »
I am happy to hear this.  I don't think there is anything there worth US lives.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 06:41:19 PM »
They must have found some other way to protect the opium investments.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 09:01:08 AM »
About all it should say is "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'.  We'll be gone in x weeks.  *expletive deleted*ck with us and we won't have the mercy you've been used to getting.  Have a nice day."

Should've sent you instead of Pompeo.  That's Mattis level rhetoric Afghan goat herders and poppy growers should be able to grasp.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 12:14:40 PM »
Should've sent you instead of Pompeo.  That's Mattis level rhetoric Afghan goat herders and poppy growers should be able to grasp.

Despite my Libertarian/AnCap leanings, I'm not totally opposed to invading portions of the Middle East whenever there's something going on there that's a credible threat to Western Civilization.

I'm just opposed to occupying anything in the Middle East.

For the price of the Iraq and Afghanistan occupations, we could have invaded those places, or others as needed, repeatedly, and with the higher body count (I mean theirs) and op-tempo we normally get during the initial contact, killed lots and lots of Islamist militants in the process, and not exposed our forces to attrition due to garrison strategy.

Invade, kill, leave, repeat. That should be our strategy. If moderate/pro-Western forces or governments can then exploit the power vacuum and take up shop, all the better. If not, we just invade, kill, and leave again and again.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 03:01:57 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 02:10:39 PM »
I think the body count would be lower with a plan like that.  It seems to me it was the occupation and roadside bombs that ramped up our casualty count.  I don't have numbers though. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 02:38:49 PM »
Maybe there's merit in the old saying that "Rubble doesn't make trouble" . . .

Boots on the ground tends to up our casualties.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 03:01:31 PM »
I think the body count would be lower with a plan like that.  It seems to me it was the occupation and roadside bombs that ramped up our casualty count.  I don't have numbers though. 

I meant their body count. And yes, you're absolutely right. Ours goes up through long term attrition.
I promise not to duck.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 10:44:56 PM »
Has the Taliban violated the terms of the deal yet?

Well ...

https://globalnews.ca/news/6619648/taliban-afghanistan-troops-attacks/

The Taliban military commission on Monday issued an order to its fighters on the ground to resume attacks against Afghan forces and the “the Kabul puppet administration,” but not against foreigners.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 10:58:03 PM »
Despite my Libertarian/AnCap leanings, I'm not totally opposed to invading portions of the Middle East whenever there's something going on there that's a credible threat to Western Civilization.

I'm just opposed to occupying anything in the Middle East.

For the price of the Iraq and Afghanistan occupations, we could have invaded those places, or others as needed, repeatedly, and with the higher body count (I mean theirs) and op-tempo we normally get during the initial contact, killed lots and lots of Islamist militants in the process, and not exposed our forces to attrition due to garrison strategy.

Invade, kill, leave, repeat. That should be our strategy. If moderate/pro-Western forces or governments can then exploit the power vacuum and take up shop, all the better. If not, we just invade, kill, and leave again and again.

I'm generally opposed to just quoting something and saying that I agree with it, but that's all i've got here.  Add that to Sumpnz's doctrine and I think you've got a workable foreign policy for the 3rd world.  *expletive deleted*ck with us and we'll destroy you.  Anything else,  you do you.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 12:47:00 AM »
Returns to deal with breaches of the agreement should be a drogue chute pulling a MOAB out of the back of a Herc. No boots, no ground. Another 9/11 here? Tactical nuke. Say that up front at the talks.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 09:48:44 AM »
Returns to deal with breaches of the agreement should be a drogue chute pulling a MOAB out of the back of a Herc. No boots, no ground. Another 9/11 here? Tactical nuke. Say that up front at the talks.
I doubt it will be too many more years before we have hypersonic missiles and orbital weapons to use. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 09:49:49 AM »
Well, that didn't last long:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/04/new-us-forces-launched-an-airstrike-overnight-against-the-taliban/
I have my doubts that are exit will be peaceful or clean, but we should get out anyway.  I am sure they will still be fighting when we leave.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »
I have my doubts that are exit will be peaceful or clean, but we should get out anyway.  I am sure they will still be fighting when we leave.

Of the latter, there is no doubt.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 04:54:24 AM »
Returns to deal with breaches of the agreement should be a drogue chute pulling a MOAB out of the back of a Herc. No boots, no ground. Another 9/11 here? TacticalStrategic  nuke. Say that up front at the talks.

FTFY. 

In many place in the world there's room for garrison, and limited engagement where needed.  The Mideast has a different culture.  Our mideast policy should be titled "*expletive deleted*ck Around and Find Out".

Cause here's the deal: You want to really slow down violence in the mideast?  You need to remove the fighter part of the culture.  We even have a template for that.  What percentage of the Japanese population in 1941 was still alive in 1945?  What percentage of the military age male population died in the same time period?  There's your base numbers for "Remove warrior from warrior culture".  Extrapolate to the population of the mid east and you have a rough order of magnitude who we need to kill.

Otherwise, let's just take our toys and go home.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2020, 09:59:37 AM »
FTFY.  

In many place in the world there's room for garrison, and limited engagement where needed.  The Mideast has a different culture.  Our mideast policy should be titled "*expletive deleted*ck Around and Find Out".

Cause here's the deal: You want to really slow down violence in the mideast?  You need to remove the fighter part of the culture.  We even have a template for that.  What percentage of the Japanese population in 1941 was still alive in 1945?  What percentage of the military age male population died in the same time period?  There's your base numbers for "Remove warrior from warrior culture".  Extrapolate to the population of the mid east and you have a rough order of magnitude who we need to kill.

Otherwise, let's just take our toys and go home.

Huge different though. Japan was a one nation state with an extreme national identity and where the emperor pointed the nation went as one. Afgan is just a collection of tribes 90%+ of whom have a 12th century mindset as far as these things go and want to remain that way.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2020, 12:58:20 PM »
Certainly it's not a direct translation.  That's why I used the words "template" and "rough order of magnitude".

But the Afghans, and other jihadists in the mideast, are just as steeped in their cultural identity and being fighters/warriors as the Japanese were.  Maybe more.  I throw that example out there as a way of saying pointing out how much it takes to force an extreme cultural shift.  That's what it would take.  Short of that and we're pissing up a rope.  I don't think the US, or the West at large, has the appetite to actually kill enough people that we can leave and they'd just leave us alone.  Probably better for all concerned to just get ready for the next attack.