Poll

Would you go to sleep with your doors unlocked?

Yes
12 (30.8%)
No
27 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Would you go to sleep with your doors unlocked?  (Read 2994 times)

tokugawa

• friend
Re: Would you go to sleep with your doors unlocked?
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2020, 10:57:27 PM »
This thread makes me feel good about where I live. Every week I have customer call and say this needs fixed doors are unlocked if we are not home show up when you can.

I feel good about where I live too.
 But like I said, if an invasion happens, you will never forget it. Some stuff burns into memory like a brand. It does not matter where you go, the memory goes with you.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2020, 12:21:46 AM »
Locks only keep honest people honest. Crooks can blow right past them.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2020, 12:42:42 AM »
True, but the purpose is to slow them down and/or make some noise.  Same thing applies to my gun safe.  Make it a little more difficult.  I imagine there is also reducing the temptation of an easy crime like stealing packages at front doors.

As a kid, we got robbed at least once in Houston.  Even later when we moved out near a small town, my parents were still careful about locking doors at night.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2020, 05:49:22 AM »
For every “I will blow right past your locks” dedicated criminal there are dozens of “hey, if the door is unlocked and no one is looking I’ll see what I can take” criminals.

griz

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2020, 07:09:12 AM »
I'm of the "slow 'em down and make noise" school so lock my doors.  I've slept (soundly) in friends houses that didn't.  I used to leave my keys in cars at home (middle of nowhere) but came to believe it was a bad habit to get into.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2020, 08:25:59 AM »

As others said, it's kinda like parking your car downtown with unlocked doors and a laptop in plain view on the seat, vs putting it in the trunk.

It's true they can blow by locks, but stuff like locks plus EZ-Armor create a time and noise buffer and can make all the difference.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2020, 08:27:54 AM »
As others said, it's kinda like parking your car downtown with unlocked doors and a laptop in plain view on the seat, vs putting it in the trunk.

It's true they can blow by locks, but stuff like locks plus EZ-Armor create a time and noise buffer and can make all the difference.

Did you install EZ-armor on your door frames?  It looks like a good product.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2020, 08:57:02 AM »
Did you install EZ-armor on your door frames?  It looks like a good product.

I did. Embarrassingly, and I never mentioned this here before, but two days after I moved, I locked myself out of the house here at like 2200. The previous owners never locked anything and only had one key for the front door, and all the other doors took a different key. I was still in California mode and locking everything out of habit.

Anyway, there is an outside access door to my office, and doing a walkaround after finding I was locked out, the lock seemed the easiest for me to get through without damaging anything. It actually wasn't, and I lost my temper and took my shoulder to the door. After one wimpy test hit, I put a hard, but not that hard, shoulder into it and blew right through the door frame. Now there is EZ-Armor on all the doors. Though my little stunt also verified what you see in all the youtube home security videos: Long screws everywhere. The strike plate had teeny short screws that were the main reason I could break the door frame at that location so easily.

With the EZ-Armor and long screws, someone will still get in, but it's going to take more than a couple of kicks. Also it really is "EZ" to install. It's also made for stuff like easily repairing a door frame when a dumbass breaks it.

Besides the EZ-Armor, I also put in a keypad lock on one door so I don't have to worry as much about my stupidity.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 09:35:55 AM »
^^^I have a residential key lock box shackled to one of the propane tanks outside.  I keep a spare house key in that box.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 11:33:39 AM »
I rarely lock my doors, unless I leave my house.
Crime in my community is virtually nil.
I also live outside of town and have a fairly long driveway- the dog will give me ample warning if anyone comes to my door.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 12:03:03 PM »
I'm bumbling through day to day life in condition white.

This discussion has helped remind me to lock up
at night.

Black Swans do happen.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2020, 07:09:05 PM »
I got in the habit of locking my car doors all the time and house doors in the evening many years ago.  Dead bolts on all the doors.  I have a key hidden outside if I accidentally lock myself out.  My garage door has a code box to lift one door.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2020, 07:33:35 PM »
My garage door has a code box to lift one door.

That's my other way into the house now. The former owners forgot their code and never reset it, and I put off resetting because I was busy my first couple of days here, so didn't have it when I locked myself out. Now I actually have a piece of tape over the door knob lock for the man door to the garage from the house so I don't accidentally lock it, and use the garage door as my backup way into the house if I screw up.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2020, 08:44:13 PM »
^^^I have a residential key lock box shackled to one of the propane tanks outside.  I keep a spare house key in that box.

Search for that model/make on the LockPickingLawyer's site (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ) and also on BosnianBill's site (https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill) on YouTube.

MANY of those key lock boxes are APPALLINGLY easy to open!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2020, 08:46:44 PM »
But they need to find it first.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG