Author Topic: Clover Lawns  (Read 1436 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Clover Lawns
« on: March 14, 2020, 09:55:16 AM »
Does anyone here have a clover or clover/grass mixed lawn? I've been reading a good bit about it, and before clover became a "lawn weed", it was apparently hard to find any lawn seed mix that didn't contain it.

I've been filling bare patches in my pastures with clover, which led me to looking at it for around the house. I have WAY too much lawn. I've already let some die in front, and am going to do some kind of xeriscaping there. My "backyard" is like an acre where the previous owners let weeds take over the lawn portion, and did nothing on the rest. Last year I just tried to control the weeds on the lawn and I let the rest go natural and just hit it with the brush hog a few times over the Summer.

This year, I'm looking at making the back lawn no more than 500 sq ft next to my patio and mixing clover there, then just putting a boatload of clover over the rest. Clover is supposed to kick the *expletive deleted*it out of other weeds, and the ground cover is only a half foot high at most. Plus it is supposed to really nitrogen load the ground naturally and also the flowers are beneficial to insects like bees. Also pretty much doesn't need to be watered. If it works out well in the back, next year I might mix some clover into the front lawn as well.

It seems like there are a lot of pluses for clover or clover/grass around the house, and for most people I guess it's getting past the look of a broadleaf mixed in with their turf. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
Re: Clover Lawns
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 10:12:52 AM »
My last house inadvertently had a clover lawn. I put down the topsoil an seeded it myself- the clover cane from the hay/straw I put down over the seeds.
It didn’t look as nice as the neighbors lawns for years.
It did eventually thicken up and lol pretty good.

My current lawn could be described as a creeping Charlie lawn =(
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 10:32:11 AM »
WHY ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT A LAWN WHEN THE CORONA IS GOING TO KILL US ALL?????!!!!!!

That said, if you actually, you know, survive the flu, the hoards of cannibals who feast on the survivors, and the rise of the killer cats , there's a good dsicussion here... https://dengarden.com/gardening/Clover-Lawns
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 11:05:59 AM »
WHY ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT A LAWN WHEN THE CORONA IS GOING TO KILL US ALL?????!!!!!!

That said, if you actually, you know, survive the flu, the hoards of cannibals who feast on the survivors, and the rise of the killer cats , there's a good dsicussion here... https://dengarden.com/gardening/Clover-Lawns

Hey, priorities my man. If the rain stops this morning, I'm also gonna fire up the grill for the first time this season and grill up some apocalypse tri-tip and drink SHTF whiskey on the back porch.  :laugh:

That was one of the articles I read. If I lived in a subdivision with neighbors lawns connected to mine,  I wouldn't consider this out of politeness to all the Hank Hills in the neighborhood. I don't have any "contamination" issues to worry about here, and I like the idea of the mix as a wildlife attractor as well. Last year the "weed patch" in back brought in pheasants, turkeys, and all kinds of stuff. But part of that patch included goatsheads, which I have learned to hate (never ran into them in CA) and they're one of the things clover is supposed to outperform. I'm about for sure I'll spread some in the back, and if I like it, I might do a 25% mix on the front lawn as well. The very low maintenance is also a big factor for a lazy guy like me. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 02:39:41 PM »
Hey, priorities my man. If the rain stops this morning, I'm also gonna fire up the grill for the first time this season and grill up some apocalypse tri-tip and drink SHTF whiskey on the back porch.  :laugh:

What time should I be there?  And do you prefer ammo or TP?

As for the clover lawn, I have one area in my front lawn that has a dense patch of clover.  That stuff grows so fast and thick that it is a pain to cut.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 06:35:17 PM »
Clover has been taking over one section of my front lawn for a couple of years now - I have a hunch in 2020 it will finally be victorious.

My clover LAUGHS at weedkillers like Weed-B-Gone; WBG used to work really well, but either weeds have toughened up or Ortho has neutered the formula for what used to be a primo weed killer.

Detcord will only scatter it, and I think the local constabulary would take a dim view of my using napalm or nuking it from orbit.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 07:29:43 PM »
My lawn is green. I have a lot of dandelion, a lot of plantain, and a lot of clover. I am overseeding or hitting bare patches with white clover. I mow around the clover when it is flowering. Why? I have chickens and bees and they eat the stuff. In the winter I usually let the grass go long from the last mowing and my yard is thick with deer after the plantain especially while all around me forage is decimated by either livestock or chemical lawn people. All grass perfect lawns suck for the environment, consume resources and feed nothing.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 08:44:17 PM »

Ben....Ben.....Ben, you aren't in California anymore, there is no "season" to grill. You are in the land of the free, you can grill any damn time you want and CARB be damned!!! ;)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 09:00:31 PM »
Ben....Ben.....Ben, you aren't in California anymore, there is no "season" to grill. You are in the land of the free, you can grill any damn time you want and CARB be damned!!! ;)

bob

:laugh:

Well it wasn't grilling, but if it counts,  I burned about a 20'x20' by 10' high pile of brush last week after dousing it with 5 gallons of diesel. :)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 09:54:54 PM »
:laugh:

Well it wasn't grilling, but if it counts,  I burned about a 20'x20' by 10' high pile of brush last week after dousing it with 5 gallons of diesel. :)

That's kind of expensive fire starter.
I'm happy to start small and let nature takes it's course assisted by a gallon or two of used motor oil.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 10:08:16 PM »
That's kind of expensive fire starter.
I'm happy to start small and let nature takes it's course assisted by a gallon or two of used motor oil.

A good bit of it was green and I didn't want to dink around. $15 is a small price to pay for a glorious carbon plume.  :laugh:

I finally bought a blowtorch this morning though, so for the next couple of piles I have lined up I'm using a little less fuel and letting the torch get stuff going.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 12:02:56 AM »
Clover has been taking over one section of my front lawn for a couple of years now - I have a hunch in 2020 it will finally be victorious.

My clover LAUGHS at weedkillers like Weed-B-Gone; WBG used to work really well, but either weeds have toughened up or Ortho has neutered the formula for what used to be a primo weed killer.

Detcord will only scatter it, and I think the local constabulary would take a dim view of my using napalm or nuking it from orbit.

If you really want to kill it, https://www.amazon.com/Agri-Star-Triclopyr-Herbicide-Gallon/dp/B004S70RK4  (you might can find it cheaper elsewhere)  I can't remember for sure the dilution rate for lawn weeds, but I think it's 1/8 oz (3/4 tsp) per gallon.  I use the stuff on creeping charlie.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 08:00:59 AM »
A good bit of it was green and I didn't want to dink around. $15 is a small price to pay for a glorious carbon plume.  :laugh:
I wonder if Chinese conspiracy theorists are analyzing satellite data and coming to the conclusion that Americans are incinerating corpses in your back 40.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 08:28:12 AM »
I wonder if Chinese conspiracy theorists are analyzing satellite data and coming to the conclusion that Americans are incinerating corpses in your back 40.

Naw, they know that our modus operandi is shoot, shovel, shut up.  =D

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 11:27:28 AM »
When my dad built our first home (early 1950s) our lawn had a lot of clover in it.  I don't remmber any problems with it, but then I was way too young to worry about it.

He had a large lawn at the third house he built (1960) that had a patch of clover.  He reported that the patch would move around and would leave the lawn where it had grown lush and green.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 11:36:23 AM »
I don't mind clover, by my neighborhood is basically a grass only lawn type of neighborhood.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 12:53:47 PM »
I don't mind clover, by my neighborhood is basically a grass only lawn type of neighborhood.

So sow red clover.  Or crimson, or alfalfa.  >:D   (I think crimson clover is pretty)

"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 09:50:49 PM »
So sow red clover.  Or crimson, or alfalfa.  >:D   (I think crimson clover is pretty)

Not worth having neighbors pissed at me
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 10:44:09 PM »
If you really want to kill it, https://www.amazon.com/Agri-Star-Triclopyr-Herbicide-Gallon/dp/B004S70RK4  (you might can find it cheaper elsewhere)  I can't remember for sure the dilution rate for lawn weeds, but I think it's 1/8 oz (3/4 tsp) per gallon.  I use the stuff on creeping charlie.
Will it kill the lawn? Bermuda or st. Augustine.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 12:05:45 AM »
Will it kill the lawn? Bermuda or st. Augustine.

It dose not bother northern grasses at all.  I don't know about bermudagrass or St. Augustine; I would especially be careful with St Augustine...

Here's what I just found:
Chemical Action and Usages: Triclopyr is a selective systemic herbicide used to control woody and herbaceous broadleaf weeds and difficult to control weeds such as clover, wild violets, and ground ivy in lawns, grasslands, parklands and along right of ways. It has little impact on cool season turf grass but may damage warm season varieties such as Bermuda grass, Zoysia and St. Augustine. This characteristic makes it usable as a Bermuda grass suppressant (follow label directions) in fescue, bluegrass and ryegrass lawns. Triclopyr controls target weeds by mimicking the plant hormone auxin, causing uncontrolled plant growth making the weed literally growing itself to death.

"It's good, though..."