Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55914 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2020, 08:45:05 AM »
Dow Chemical down here on the Gulf Coast is checking people's temperature on the way in the gate.  They are using an infrared temp gun.  I don't have a temperature apparently.  I was told one of our guys saw someone ahead of them turned away. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2020, 08:49:55 AM »
Dow Chemical down here on the Gulf Coast is checking people's temperature on the way in the gate.  They are using an infrared temp gun.  I don't have a temperature apparently.  I was told one of our guys saw someone ahead of them turned away. 

I read that Micron in Boise has been doing that for the last couple of weeks. I guess it's one part of being safe rather than sorry, but I'm guessing there's a younger than average workforce there, so "temperature checks" are going to miss all the asymptomatic carriers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2020, 08:52:30 AM »
I read that Micron in Boise has been doing that for the last couple of weeks. I guess it's one part of being safe rather than sorry, but I'm guessing there's a younger than average workforce there, so "temperature checks" are going to miss all the asymptomatic carriers.
I just figured it was the only thing they could really do with the resources they have.  At least screen out the actively sick. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2020, 08:57:39 AM »
Until there is widespread testing we're flying blind.

For those blaming the Trump administration for being late to the party the Chinese government and WHO were still saying there was no community spread the week before Trump shut down flights from China.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2020, 09:01:20 AM »

For those blaming the Trump administration the Chinese government and WHO were still saying there was no community spread the week before Trump shut down flights from China.

Not that it's time to be political, but I will. Time to call out all the lefties that were yelling "racism!" and "xenophobia!" when Trump started restricting border entries. Gotta wonder how many more known (and unknown) infections we would have if those restrictions weren't put in place because of the screaming of "the squad", the MSM, celebrities, etc.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2020, 09:06:54 AM »
Not that it's time to be political, but I will. Time to call out all the lefties that were yelling "racism!" and "xenophobia!" when Trump started restricting border entries. Gotta wonder how many more known (and unknown) infections we would have if those restrictions weren't put in place because of the screaming of "the squad", the MSM, celebrities, etc.

Where were our intelligence services during all if this? Nobody on the ground in Wuhan? Nobody listening in on coms? Wrong thread but a lot of this just feels off.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2020, 09:14:58 AM »
Where were our intelligence services during all if this? Nobody on the ground in Wuhan? Nobody listening in on coms? Wrong thread but a lot of this just feels off.

According to "unnamed sources" they were warning about it. Being top secret intelligence stuff though, I'm not sure you're going to get a clear picture of what they saw & what they said - and it's certainly not going to be spun in a positive manner for Trump.

U.S. intelligence agencies were issuing ominous, classified warnings in January and February about the global danger posed by the coronavirus while President Trump and lawmakers played down the threat and failed to take action that might have slowed the spread of the pathogen, according to U.S. officials familiar with spy agency reporting.

The intelligence reports didn’t predict when the virus might land on U.S. shores or recommend particular steps that public health officials should take, issues outside the purview of the intelligence agencies. But they did track the spread of the virus in China, and later in other countries, and warned that Chinese officials appeared to be minimizing the severity of the outbreak.

The warnings from U.S. intelligence agencies increased in volume toward the end of January and into early February, said officials familiar with the reports. By then, a majority of the intelligence reporting included in daily briefing papers and digests from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the CIA was about covid-19, said officials who have read the reports.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2020, 09:30:34 AM »
According to "unnamed sources" they were warning about it. Being top secret intelligence stuff though, I'm not sure you're going to get a clear picture of what they saw & what they said - and it's certainly not going to be spun in a positive manner for Trump.

Makes sense, that's why Trump shut down air travel  from China at the end of January.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2020, 09:34:43 AM »
One week into our APS tracking and about 20% of us know first hand of someone infected.

That's not a good number IMHO.

Nobody has posted first hand knowledge of anyone who hasn't survived infection.

Still early but that's a slight silver lining.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2020, 10:00:31 AM »
My cousin and her husband caught it and recovered.  It wasn't too bad for them, they are both in their late 30's.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2020, 08:31:51 PM »
Two three four cases in my county now.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:04:42 PM by just Warren »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2020, 12:42:25 PM »
I had to change my vote today...

A sister of a friend of mine was just diagnosed with it in Northern WI yesterday. She's a nurse and was describing it as "Feeling like my lungs are full of broken glass when I breathe." She is 41.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2020, 01:40:31 PM »
I had to change my vote today...

A sister of a friend of mine was just diagnosed with it in Northern WI yesterday. She's a nurse and was describing it as "Feeling like my lungs are full of broken glass when I breathe." She is 41.

That sucks...
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2020, 03:45:17 PM »
Horrifying...

Because business is slow, and also to keep from having so many people together in place, we'll be working alternate days for a while. I have loads of work to do at home, so I'm going to look at the bright side of it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2020, 04:15:13 PM »
Horrifying...

Because business is slow, and also to keep from having so many people together in place, we'll be working alternate days for a while. I have loads of work to do at home, so I'm going to look at the bright side of it.

You've got to admit this is a good time of year to be stuck at home. Spring cleaning, getting the gardens and lawn set up for the summer, home repairs, and still have plenty of time left over to sit out on the porch and enjoy the springtime.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2020, 04:36:33 PM »
You've got to admit this is a good time of year to be stuck at home. Spring cleaning, getting the gardens and lawn set up for the summer, home repairs, and still have plenty of time left over to sit out on the porch and enjoy the springtime.

March Madness on the TV. oh wait.....
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2020, 05:11:25 PM »
Good news, my sister is better. Never did get a test, even though she works at the hospital.
Bad news, I just got laid off.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:48:54 PM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2020, 05:33:10 PM »
Good news, my sister is better. Never did get a test, even though she works at the hospital.
Bad news, just got laid off.

You did, or she did?

I may as well be, for a while.  Minimal calls, even with my work phone forwarded to my cell.  A couple computers came in that I'd ordered for people. I went in and grabbed them to prep in my little isolated nook.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2020, 05:36:28 PM »

See, any other year I would laugh at you... But I have just discovered the fascination for F1 racing. I was all set to watch it, too. Actually got the ESPN streaming app loaded up and everything...  :facepalm:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2020, 05:41:21 PM »
See, any other year I would laugh at you... But I have just discovered the fascination for F1 racing. I was all set to watch it, too. Actually got the ESPN streaming app loaded up and everything...  :facepalm:

Once all of that comes back you should add Moto GP to your viewing schedule. :)

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2020, 05:44:41 PM »
A hospitalized Covid-19 patient is more than likely going to die alone without seeing family due to vistor restrictions. Something to think about if you think this no big deal.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2020, 06:55:39 PM »
I have locked myself in the cabin for now. I've been coughing my head off most of the afternoon and head is pounding sore throat and the shakes. I think it is just a head cold or sinuses but I'll stay away from the girls in case I get a fever.

Not like I don't hide out here most of the time anyway. I hate people in general. There are a few exceptions around here.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »
A hospitalized Covid-19 patient is more than likely going to die alone without seeing family due to vistor restrictions. Something to think about if you think this no big deal.

https://youtu.be/Txk7MxsyVMw?t=10

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2020, 08:24:25 AM »

March Madness means something a little different for 2020.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2020, 08:35:55 AM »
I'm going to log about 65 hrs of work this week... but I'm salaried, so I get paid for 40 :laugh:

Our CEO sent out a message stating something along the lines of "Thank you very much for your dedication and efforts in these hard times.... we all have to make sacrifices...blah blah blah.... your merit raises are on hold until further notice"
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama