Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55908 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2020, 10:01:28 AM »
I'm going to log about 65 hrs of work this week... but I'm salaried, so I get paid for 40 :laugh:

Our CEO sent out a message stating something along the lines of "Thank you very much for your dedication and efforts in these hard times.... we all have to make sacrifices...blah blah blah.... your merit raises are on hold until further notice"

First it was no merit raise and work less hours from home for my daughter, now it has become a 90 day furlough with no pay. Single mom with an autistic son, this is not a good thing for her (or millions of others in the same boat).

bob

brimic

• friends
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2020, 10:07:03 AM »
First it was no merit raise and work less hours from home for my daughter, now it has become a 90 day furlough with no pay. Single mom with an autistic son, this is not a good thing for her (or millions of others in the same boat).

bob

I'm not complaining too much. I still have a job for the foreseeable future, and I really don't have anything better to do for now than work.
Work, eat, sleep. If I didn't have a dog at home that needs to be walked and taken care of at home, I'd probably just set up a cot in an empty office in my work site.
Life has never been simpler.
I'll worry about the bills and legal issues later.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2020, 12:24:06 PM »
I am very thankful my job continues on as I can work just as effectively at home as I can at the office. Unfortunately, the people I am supporting have much of their job put on hold, but I have a massive amount of work that will be just as valuable when they can start working again as it would be right now.

Also, we're prepping for a new computer system in 4 months, so I already had more work than I could do before then. We aren't concerned about my job.

My wife, however, has had almost all of her lessons cancelled. Only a couple have moved to online lessons. Her gigs have all been cancelled as well, so the "stimulus" check might cover her lost income.

Again, we aren't reliant on that income, but it's still nice to have. I'm well aware there are lot of people who are reliant on income of that sort that has just disappeared. I hope, like Trump, we're up and going before Easter, as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2020, 02:22:03 PM »
Just laid off from my new retirement gig yesterday after only a week and a half.  So I guess I have been directly affected by the CV, just not by infection.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »
We went to an A-team/B-team arrangement.  After today, I get to work from home until next Tuesday.  Fun. 

I heard the parent facility we work inside has 2 confirmed cases in the area with 5 or 6 more possibles.  They are taking people's temperature on the way in during shift change and plan to expand that.  I don't think my company has any confirmed cases in the US yet.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2020, 03:42:10 PM »
I was declared essential on Monday 3/16 and have been reporting to a very empty office (only 5 people out of a 110) since then.  Everyone else in the company with the exception of 5 of us are WFH.  We had an all call and things are okay for us right now. SWMBO works for a school district here, the same one that the kiddos go to, and they are currently on spring break.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2020, 04:03:54 PM »
I was declared essential on Monday 3/16 and have been reporting to a very empty office (only 5 people out of a 110) since then.  Everyone else in the company with the exception of 5 of us are WFH.  We had an all call and things are okay for us right now. SWMBO works for a school district here, the same one that the kiddos go to, and they are currently on spring break.

Our parties dog farm up front is completely empty, only 4 managers left up front. It’s weird.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2020, 08:49:00 AM »
Our parties dog farm up front is completely empty, only 4 managers left up front. It’s weird.

.... either you have some misspellings or are using jargon I'm not familiar with.

Dog Farm?
Parties?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2020, 11:32:25 AM »
I work from home always, except when I travel to customer factories which is all on hold until Covid is over, or things relax.

The company HQ in Canada went to work from home for everybody, and it's actually been an improvement as we all communicate over teams for voice and text anyway. And the at-home guys don't have the usual office goings-on to pull them away from me when I need one of them for something. They're more responsive and get back to me quicker, possibly because they now can relate to working at home and not being able to call over a cube to someone else.
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2020, 09:53:13 AM »
The hospital my wife works at had their death last night. I don't have any details on preexisting conditions in the patient.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2020, 02:16:10 PM »
We had out first death in Spokane the other day. Not much info other than he was in his 80's. I expect a few more, they found Coid 19 in one of our local Nursing Homes. They aren't saying if he had underlying conditions or not but at >80 years old I think that would be a given.

bob

And now our 2nd, a woman in her 50's, no other info.

bob
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 07:48:27 PM by BobR »

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2020, 08:49:32 AM »
Week 2 of survey

Over 75% have no personal knowledge of anyone infected.

Most of those who've been infected in our survey are health care providers.

Nobody in our group has lost a friend or acquaintence to the China Virus.

Stay Safe

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2020, 01:43:35 PM »
Wait, I do. And it's actually a board member. It's not a bad case though. He's at home.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2020, 05:19:18 PM »
First confirmed case in my warehouse Thursday, said person had been out for ten days after noting symptoms. Security apparently viewed footage and folks they were in close contact with were notified. Don't know they personally, but it's the closest I've been aware of.

Work has been nuts, as I'm in distribution for one of the big pharmacy changes. On the bright side, they've been really good on this. They've put a lot of positive attendance policy changes in place and it was announced last week we're getting a bonus delivered near the end of April, and (amusingly if nothing else) they gave everyone a pack of TP and case of bottled water.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2020, 05:34:44 PM »
Nothing directly personal but the first case in my county was announced today. Three larger towns and a handful of smaller towns across the county but no info as to even general location.

My son works for a VERY LARGE, nationwide retail and grocery chain in one of their distribution centers. They are getting reports that other at least 2 other DCs have reported cases and despite claims from HQ that a DC would shut down 2 weeks for disinfection/cleaning in the event of an employee testing positive the DCs with positive cases are essentially business as usual.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2020, 06:08:30 PM »
I found this to be an interesting perspective ...  [popcorn]

The more sensible approach would be to isolate the elderly and the susceptible in order to protect them from the ravages of the virus. People who are young, healthy, able and willing should be allowed to return to work to restart the economy and hopefully keep it afloat through the coming depression.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2020/03/rising_to_the_challenge_can_this_be_a_great_generation.html#ixzz6I7P7SKOd
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2020, 07:07:05 PM »
I found this to be an interesting perspective ...  [popcorn]

The more sensible approach would be to isolate the elderly and the susceptible in order to protect them from the ravages of the virus. People who are young, healthy, able and willing should be allowed to return to work to restart the economy and hopefully keep it afloat through the coming depression.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2020/03/rising_to_the_challenge_can_this_be_a_great_generation.html#ixzz6I7P7SKOd

Sensible and rational, meaning we will never adjust our response to match what is being suggested in the article.
Too many people in government at all levels hoping for tikiwiki.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2020, 07:16:13 PM »
I've been working from home for 9 days now.  Only because my flights are getting cancelled, yet i still get paid.   =D

We've cut at least half of our flights and probably more than that.  Our average load factor today was 25%.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2020, 03:24:26 PM »
Someone came in today looking like death and with a fever. Was promptly told to GTFO once someone noticed, but by that point of course had covered part of the building, interacted around people, touched equipment, etc. Despite being given essentially free sick days as the company isn't counting call ins against you, and confirmed case or close contact to confirmed case such as someone in your household is an automatic two week paid vacation, which doesn't suck up any of your usual time off allotment. I give the company props, they've actually been responsive and made it as easy possible short of shutting down to keep your ass home if your sick.

So now we all get to be stopped on the way in to have our temperature checked.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2020, 04:01:51 PM »
Someone came in today looking like death and with a fever. Was promptly told to GTFO once someone noticed, but by that point of course had covered part of the building, interacted around people, touched equipment, etc. Despite being given essentially free sick days as the company isn't counting call ins against you, and confirmed case or close contact to confirmed case such as someone in your household is an automatic two week paid vacation, which doesn't suck up any of your usual time off allotment. I give the company props, they've actually been responsive and made it as easy possible short of shutting down to keep your ass home if your sick.

So now we all get to be stopped on the way in to have our temperature checked.

Dude, I work for the federal .gov with 4 hours of sick every PP, and yet people still come in sick (even before the kung-flu), and burn their sick days down to 0 balances because they don't feel like coming in.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2020, 04:16:00 PM »
Dude, I work for the federal .gov with 4 hours of sick every PP, and yet people still come in sick (even before the kung-flu), and burn their sick days down to 0 balances because they don't feel like coming in.

Man, I used to hate that. Thanks for making me sick so you can get  couple extra "vacation days".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2020, 04:16:38 PM »
Due to our first quarter getting shot to hell we all get a 5% pay cut for the foreseeable future. Also no 401k match for the same.

Of course in the same email they exhorted us to “do more and go further” to “serve our customers and help the company”
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2020, 05:30:54 PM »
Man, I used to hate that. Thanks for making me sick so you can get  couple extra "vacation days".

I took a full day for my son's appointment the other day, which took me down to 6 weeks. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2020, 05:43:33 PM »
For us it's all PTO, they just put a cap on how many times per year you can call in for an unplanned absence. It's great for the folks who bother to manage their time.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2020, 07:21:34 PM »
Two three four cases in my county now.

Eight now. But no word on severity.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.