Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55881 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #250 on: April 15, 2020, 06:43:02 PM »
Damn man!  So glad you’re on the mend though!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #251 on: April 17, 2020, 05:59:02 PM »
I made the mistake of checking the local numbers. Death rate for the hospitalized is more than a quarter. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2020, 07:38:13 PM »
I made the mistake of checking the local numbers. Death rate for the hospitalized is more than a quarter. 

In a hotspot the hospital is not a good place to be unless it is absolutely necessary.

Ive read the reason that health care workers have been hit so hard is not just more opportunities to come in contact initially, but the overall viral load their system has to fight off is higher. 

Hence the reason nursing homes are getting hammered.

Stay safe and no gardening.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2020, 02:41:09 PM »
My wife's sister and her family are currently presumed positive and waiting on test results.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #254 on: April 22, 2020, 08:03:46 AM »
I have a friend in the ICU who is younger than me (read: under 40, but not by much) who has been in a medically induced coma, with pneumonia, whose lungs were filling up with fluid.

He has apparently pulled through and is off the ventilator/respirator (it was looking bad for quite a while) and is responding to commands.

Now, the odd thing is: his Chinese Coronavirus test came back negative.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #255 on: April 22, 2020, 08:17:40 AM »
I still don't know anyone with COVID19. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #256 on: April 22, 2020, 09:06:56 AM »
same here.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #257 on: April 22, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »

Just a few but I have friends in "essential" workforce.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #258 on: April 22, 2020, 10:46:34 AM »
I have a personal impact. A positive one. It has put the kibosh on Earth Day.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #259 on: April 22, 2020, 12:25:25 PM »
Friend of my moms from the local Red Cross died from it yesterday.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2020, 12:56:21 PM »
I have a personal impact. A positive one. It has put the kibosh on Earth Day.  =D

Floppies or tires?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #261 on: April 23, 2020, 09:51:52 PM »
Father in law just got confirmed.  65, reasonable health.  Here's hoping the odds are in his favor.  He's on the (very) short list of people I actually like.  Awful MIL gets to quarantine with him,  so it's not all bad  >:D.

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #262 on: April 23, 2020, 11:15:54 PM »
We are emptying out the local State Veterans Home of all positive C-19 cases and moving them into a special ward at the VA hospital. The Vets Home is about the only hotspot in town right now. As of tonight they have 30 some + cases. I think I will go in early next week and clean out my workspace and desk. I don't think I will go back to office work before I retire (May 29), I will just keep teleworking.

bob

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #263 on: April 23, 2020, 11:36:33 PM »
My county is down to six active cases with no deaths of those who were infected.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #264 on: April 26, 2020, 01:15:59 PM »
Chuck, early 80's, my buddies father, passed away two days ago and it will be recorded as a covid 19 fatality.

Two years ago Chuck took a fall and went into facility. They let him come home at some point instructing my buddy that hospice would need to be involved soon. Tough ol geezer, despite still smoking and having COPD hung in there for two years.

Well, he took another tumble, back in a facility and ended up with pneumonia. He also tested positive for the China Virus.

Chuck was an ornery ol cuss but he liked me and I liked him.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:00:19 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #265 on: April 26, 2020, 09:42:34 PM »
RIP Chuck.

May he go to the best place.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #266 on: April 27, 2020, 02:23:28 AM »
I still don't know anyone who has it, but the pandemic has affected me. I was scheduled to start a new job at the local VA hospital on April 13. About a week before then, they basically shut the place down except for critical cases. I have mad routine appointments for April and May cancelled and rescheduled for July and August. And my work start date has been postponed until June 8.

I am very much ambivalent about that start date change. On one hand, I need the income and I don't like having to wait another two months for the job to start. On the other hand, I tick so many of the high risk boxes that I'm paranoid about even bringing mail into the house from the mailbox. So I have to recognize that being anywhere near a hospital right now would probably not be a good situation for me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 27, 2020, 04:26:21 AM »
I was surprised they called me into Neuro for my Botox Migraine injections last Friday.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #268 on: April 27, 2020, 11:33:07 AM »
As my father was dying in ICU this past weekend, the hospital said only two visitors would be allowed due to Covid restrictions. But since they admitted my mother, sister and I into the main hospital entrance after the temperature and mask station, we decided to just try and walk into the ICU after my sister had them buzz us in.

Either I looked scary, or nobody had the guts to turn away a third family member at a dying/last visit.  We did hear one of the staff whisper "But there's THREE of them!" but nobody did anything. The Charge nurse on duty said she was five months from retirement, wasn't afraid of any repercussions, and kind of hinted we should try that. My sister works in that hospital as a Labor and Delivery OBGYN nurse, and she'd exhausted all the favors and exceptions she could try and get through official and unofficial channels.

The Friday evening before, in the ER, they decided to let my mother, sister, myself, and my wife in, which was also a (pleasant) shock. But I think they knew the severity of his head injury, and while not directly telling us his prognosis was already grim, they wanted us to be with him. And they needed us as it would turn out. We helped hold him down and kept talking to him with the 3 seconds of memory he had, as he was "head injury combative" and kept trying to get out of the hospital bed, remove all his medical sensors, and it took all of us to hold him until they pushed Ativan on him twice.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #269 on: April 27, 2020, 05:43:17 PM »
Sorry to hear that, AJ. My condolences, for what they're worth.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #270 on: April 27, 2020, 07:14:13 PM »
Condolences for your loss, AJ. That had to be rough go, for you and for the entire family.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #271 on: April 27, 2020, 09:38:48 PM »
Thoughts with you and yours, AJ. 

Can't even imagine the suck.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #272 on: April 29, 2020, 01:19:27 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Going this afternoon to cremate him.  It was definitely sudden and unexpected. But even at 73, he was able to be an organ donor and saved three people with his kidneys and liver. We got word they were able to use all of them and they've been successfully transplanted.

He was a good Dad. I was blessed to have him while I did.  What sucked about it was that he was a pretty youngish 73. More like a 50 year old in demeanor and his look, if that makes sense, so he had a lot of living left to do. And he had no health issues like blood pressure or cardiovascular disease to make us think that something would happen to him.

Covid just added a whole 'nother layer to dealing with all of this. Fortunately we were able to kind of strong-arm our way through the limitations placed on us. It didn't come to it, but my father was only going to die once. So they'd have needed security to remove me.
I promise not to duck.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #273 on: May 02, 2020, 09:30:29 PM »
I had an appointment with Endocrinology on Thursday.  It was a virtual visit, video and audio.  That was my first virtual visit for a regular appointment with one of my normal providers.  Went well.

I wound up giving a pretty good history of what all had happened with me since my last visit with her in early January.  When I came out from that visit my car had been sideswiped in the parking lot by another "customer" trying to park in the next space.  I told my provider that made me extra satisfied with doing a video visit. No parking lot derby. I also told her about my firm belief that I had Kung-Flu starting around the end of January. Had a lot of discussion about how it threw off my appetite (I've lost 25 pounds since that last visit) and how I've been re-titrating some of my meds on my own because of the effects of the virus. Long story short, she agreed that the symptoms and timeline all fit and has sent an order for me to get an antibody test. Because of work schedules, I probably won't get in for the test until later this week.

I'll let y'all know how things turn out.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #274 on: May 03, 2020, 12:07:31 AM »
I got sick in November and didn't get better until February I lost over 40 pounds myself.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG