Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 56037 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #575 on: December 09, 2020, 02:37:09 PM »
Our 23 year old daughter tested positive today.  Last time any of us immediate family were around her was last Friday.  She started showing symptoms Saturday, tested Monday and got results today.  

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #576 on: December 09, 2020, 02:56:17 PM »
Our niece, who as a new RN, starting working at the hospital in August, tested positive on Sunday.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #577 on: December 09, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »
I guess I'm up to two.

A high school friend of my son, he's in his mid 30s. Minor symptoms, no apparent lingering effects.

My daughter-in-law's 92 year old grandfather. Sick with flu-ish symptoms for about week, never hospitalized. Today was day 14 of his after sick quarantine. He demanded his keys from his daughter and drove himself to the library. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #578 on: December 09, 2020, 09:35:04 PM »
Just got a text from the husband of a couple I've been friends with for the last 15 years or so, his wife tested positive for Covid 4 weeks ago and in the hospital with spreading pneumonia, on a CPAP with oxygen. Can't seem to keep the pneumonia from spreading with antibiotics and other drugs. We're the same age, lives in Iowa, 3 hours from me. This sucks, she is his world.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #579 on: December 10, 2020, 05:21:27 PM »
Well, I've (get the tenses right) come down with something.  It feels like just a bad cold, at the "chills & hacking up pflegm*" stage.  I suspect it is a cold, but I'm sure I'll end up getting the China Flu test.  My experience of taste and smell is unaffected.

(*"pflegm", looks like a Lovecraftian word, something out of an eldritch creepy-crawly summoning ritual.)

---edit to add--

test tomorrow, "2-4 days" for results.

---edit to add---

Simple nasal swab, however accurate that may be.  Day 4 of chills, cough, random aches, intermittently loose bowels and other fun stuff.

results back today.  If accurate, I have the China Bat Eater's flu.  Sounds like I need to hole up in the house for another week or so, and watch for shortness of breath.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #580 on: December 10, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
results back today.  If accurate, I have the China Bat Eater's flu. 

You mean the CCP bioweapon beta version. :)

I'm pretty much over mine, except that I still have a cough and some phlegm, and am still getting extraordinarily tired after any activity. Usually after a cold or something, to get over that run down feeling, I'll force myself back into cardio, like punching the heavy bag, but it ain't happening yet with this. I just got done with 1.5 hours on the tractor and I'm ready to hit the rack.

Hope you end up with just a mild case.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #581 on: December 10, 2020, 10:34:03 PM »
Close friend of the family, fathers business partner 30+ years, late 70's maybe early 80's in the hospital with pneumonia and the China virus.

On a ventilator but is said to be doing well and getting better.

He did some traveling from Illinois down to Texas then back up with a stop in Arkansas along the way.

Came down with it right after he got back.

Multiple risk factors so there is much concern. His age, lifelong smoker (quit 3 years ago) and only one kidney.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #582 on: December 11, 2020, 12:08:12 PM »
Receptionist at work has it.  She got it from her daughter, who got it from a friend that came back from FL.  The ironic thing is that the receptionist was the official temperature checker, for the few of us that were coming into work.  The CEO was going in for surgery today, when he got there they sent him home because he had an elevated temperature, but before giving him a Covid test, so we will see.

Another co-worker that was WFH got it from his daughter and wife going to the mall where they both got it.

ETA:  The CEO tested positive for Covid.  Also, I forgot a third co-worker announced on the Book of Faces that he has Covid.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 07:58:41 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #583 on: December 11, 2020, 05:32:49 PM »
I’d say about 1/2 of my coworkers have had it already. I’m trying to avoid it since I am out of vacation for the year:/

There’s only been one case where someone was out for more than 2 weeks- an early 20s woman was out for 2.5 months, and came back completely worthless... though she was worthless before covid, and now has a ‘medical excuse’ to be a slug.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #584 on: December 12, 2020, 03:09:56 PM »
with the added benefit of diarrhea.
A running joke is always fun.

It's just been like a medium grade cold for both of us so far,
I also award you a medium grade for the joke.  "Here's your C."    >:D

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #585 on: December 12, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »
Stepson is getting better, actually went for a drive with his wife yesterday as they were going stir crazy cooped up in the house.
Wife and I still have mid-grade cold symptoms with the wife also suffering occasional bouts of nausea and vomiting.  We've both had diarrhea, as well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #586 on: December 12, 2020, 07:03:26 PM »
Stepson is getting better, actually went for a drive with his wife yesterday as they were going stir crazy cooped up in the house.
Wife and I still have mid-grade cold symptoms with the wife also suffering occasional bouts of nausea and vomiting.  We've both had diarrhea, as well.

Turns out all the crazy hoarders were right all along.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 12, 2020, 07:41:43 PM »
I posted this on Facebook the other day: "I'm about ready to start licking doorknobs and just get it over with, one way or another."
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #588 on: December 12, 2020, 07:46:44 PM »
I posted this on Facebook the other day: "I'm about ready to start licking doorknobs and just get it over with, one way or another."

Same here.  I don't believe most of what they're telling us.  For my age and physical fitness,  I'll take my chances on a disease that's 99.6 % survivable (when last I checked)
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #589 on: December 14, 2020, 06:12:33 PM »
results back today.  If accurate, I have the China Bat Eater's flu.  Sounds like I need to hole up in the house for another week or so, and watch for shortness of breath.

Nurse called later with some supplement recommendations.  The only ones I wasn't already taking are zinc and lycine.  He also prescribed a short course of an asthma drug.

In theory, I'm close to the end of when they want me to hole up.  In fact, I still feel like crap.  Food started tasting odd, then I lost almost all appetite.  I have enough extra flesh to buffer me for quite a while.   Nausea, diarrhea, intermittently, and a cough.  Joy.   Nurse wonders if the intestinal upset might be from some of the supplements.  I'll hold off on what I didn't already take.

And when I get done, Dearest Wifey gets to hole up for a couple weeks.  Right through Christmas, which is kind of a bust this year anyway.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #590 on: December 14, 2020, 06:18:56 PM »
I've taken zinc over the years starting way back in the day when ZMA was a popular supplement for those of us who lifted weights.

My system never has had problems with zinc and it is a biggie in the world of fighting off cold/flu bugs.

Magnesium on the other hand ...

Get well soon, thanks for the update.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #591 on: December 14, 2020, 06:24:22 PM »
In theory, I'm close to the end of when they want me to hole up.  In fact, I still feel like crap.  Food started tasting odd, then I lost almost all appetite. 

While I'm over the bioweapon, oddly, I just a couple of days ago discovered I lost my sense of smell. I can't recall if that happened when I had the full-on symptoms, but I don't think so. I was getting some cinnamon for my oatmeal the other days, and realized I couldn't smell it. I usually strongly smell it from feet away. I stuck my nose right in the container, and I could barely smell it. Tested a few other food items with a strong smell, and same deal. I read one "long haul" article that said this can go on for weeks after initial symptoms.

Kind of a bummer that I also can't smell my Christmas tree.  =(
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #592 on: December 14, 2020, 08:31:52 PM »
My Folgers 1850 Pioneer Blend coffee tastes absolutely fabulous since the beer virus has had its way with my taste buds. When my taste buds finally get back to normal I have a feeling I may need to find a better coffee as I may be very disappointed in the original flavor that I enjoyed.
The wife brought me a piece of cinnamon toast today. I could barely taste the cinnamon. Normally it's a strong pleasant flavor to me.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #593 on: December 14, 2020, 09:44:10 PM »
While I'm over the bioweapon, oddly, I just a couple of days ago discovered I lost my sense of smell. I can't recall if that happened when I had the full-on symptoms, but I don't think so. I was getting some cinnamon for my oatmeal the other days, and realized I couldn't smell it. I usually strongly smell it from feet away. I stuck my nose right in the container, and I could barely smell it. Tested a few other food items with a strong smell, and same deal. I read one "long haul" article that said this can go on for weeks after initial symptoms.

Kind of a bummer that I also can't smell my Christmas tree.  =(
That is part of the temptation of getting cinnamon sticks or toast.  Hope you get better.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #594 on: December 16, 2020, 01:06:30 PM »
Close friend of the family, fathers business partner 30+ years, late 70's maybe early 80's in the hospital with pneumonia and the China virus.

On a ventilator but is said to be doing well and getting better.

He did some traveling from Illinois down to Texas then back up with a stop in Arkansas along the way.

Came down with it right after he got back.

Multiple risk factors so there is much concern. His age, lifelong smoker (quit 3 years ago) and only one kidney.

Still in the hospital, off the ventilator.

Now they are waiting for his blood 02 levels to rise back to normal.

He is in good spirits and chomping at the bit to go home.

It was categorized as covid-19 related pneumonia. I may have got the technical name wrong, I'm not sure my dad relayed the correct term.

Regardless, his prognosis is good so that is a relief to everyone.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #595 on: December 16, 2020, 01:41:14 PM »
Just got a text from the husband of a couple I've been friends with for the last 15 years or so, his wife tested positive for Covid 4 weeks ago and in the hospital with spreading pneumonia, on a CPAP with oxygen. Can't seem to keep the pneumonia from spreading with antibiotics and other drugs. We're the same age, lives in Iowa, 3 hours from me. This sucks, she is his world.

She ended up in ICU on a vent the next day after I posted, today she went off the vent and appears to be on the path to recovery. So 6 days on a vent. Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 05:05:36 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #596 on: December 16, 2020, 05:00:50 PM »
Classmate's mother died the day after Thanksgiving from secondary complications (grossly obese, COPD from being a two pack a day smoker).

We're going to a funeral tomorrow for a family friend who died at 53. Unbelievably quick relapse after being well on the way to full recovery. Four days from feeling fine to dead.

Several family members have had it to varying degrees, ranging from a 102 deg fever for a week to nothing more than a headache and sniffle.

SWMBO and I have dodged it so far.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #597 on: December 16, 2020, 05:19:26 PM »
Found out today the operator that was on shift yesterday came down with a fever last night.  A few of us were there yesterday.  Our COVID procedure means everyone who can stay out of the control room does.  So I am working from home.  Apparently, the operator's wife came up positive today and he was getting tested today.  So I am just trying to make sure my nutrition is good and get plenty of rest.  Just in time for Christmas....   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #598 on: December 25, 2020, 08:50:12 AM »
Still in the hospital, off the ventilator.

Now they are waiting for his blood 02 levels to rise back to normal.

He is in good spirits and chomping at the bit to go home.

It was categorized as covid-19 related pneumonia. I may have got the technical name wrong, I'm not sure my dad relayed the correct term.

Regardless, his prognosis is good so that is a relief to everyone.

Friend of the family was released a couple days ago. His O2 levels still aren't back up to normal but they allowed him to go home. He could have stayed in longer but he did not want to be in the hospital any longer.

In a conversation with a couple of coworkers who were out with the china virus earlier this fall, they both said they are starting to doubt the narrative about it in the media. Obviously they aren't doubting it exists but both said if we weren't in the midst of a pandemic they would have thought they just picked up a nasty flu.  

At work we haven't had anyone have to quarantine since before Thanksgiving so that is a good sign.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #599 on: December 29, 2020, 12:04:12 PM »
Found out today the operator that was on shift yesterday came down with a fever last night.  A few of us were there yesterday.  Our COVID procedure means everyone who can stay out of the control room does.  So I am working from home.  Apparently, the operator's wife came up positive today and he was getting tested today.  So I am just trying to make sure my nutrition is good and get plenty of rest.  Just in time for Christmas....   =)
So I thought this one guy was okay, but apparently he never go over it.  He had fever again last week and his wife was admitted to the hospital.  Apparently he was also as I heard today he was released, but his wife will be in there a few more days. 

Everyone else at work is okay so no one is in a hurry for him to come back.