Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55780 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #600 on: December 29, 2020, 12:10:20 PM »
My brother told me my estranged sister has the 'rona.
She lives in a nursing home. She has had several strokes, is diabetic and has high blood pressure. He was able to "visit" here over the weekend via phones at a window. She is only mildly sick. She described it as a moderately bad cold.
Apparently even with the nursing home's strict policies one or more of the staff came to work infected and passed it around to the residents
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #601 on: December 30, 2020, 10:41:03 PM »
Lost my cousin to it today.  He was 52.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #602 on: December 30, 2020, 10:59:55 PM »
Lost my cousin to it today.  He was 52.

My condolences Lennyjoe, so sorry to hear that.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #603 on: December 31, 2020, 04:19:35 PM »
Found out my 82 year old neighbor passed away Monday. Over the the last few years he has had multiple heart problems/congestive heart failure issues, several low order strokes and a variety of other health issues. over the weekend he had another "minor" stroke and was complaining of chest pains/heart attack symptoms.  The hospital tested him for covid and he was positive. So, another covid death.

He was a pretty good neighbor and an interesting character. We always got along and shared produce with him and his wife while she was still alive and took him cantaloupes when I had any.
During the '70s he worked for Peabody Coal and was at the level where if they needed him for something in a hurry they would frequently send out a helicopter to pick him up. The one day said helicopter failed at beating the air into submission adequately and succumbed to gravity in a what I have heard was a fairly spectacular fashion. My neighbor was the only survivor and he had suffered a traumatic head/brain injury. It took several years for him to recover and he wasn't really the same person after the accident. I'm a year older than his son and we ran around together some back in the '70s so I had met him but didn't really know him then.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #604 on: January 01, 2021, 02:40:14 PM »
Man, I guess I'm one of those CCP bioweapon long haulers. I still have a pneumonia-like cough, mostly as I hit the rack and through the night, and my *expletive deleted*ing sense of smell hasn't come back. I didn't lose my sense of smell until a couple of weeks after I was over the one week of being pretty sick, which I thought was weird. As I've been reading about it though, there seem to be a lot more people like me with the "delayed reaction". Apparently it can take several months or more for the "long haul" symptoms to end.

I can live with the cough, but not being able to smell bacon cooking for breakfast is just outrageous!  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #605 on: January 01, 2021, 03:27:53 PM »
In August/September 2019 I went to the ER for a serious nosebleed.  Soon after that I got clobbered with the worst cold I ever had... to the point where I would cough when the chest x-ray tech asked me to raise my arms.  So I don't know how anyone could tell anything with that movement just as the x-ray was taken.

But it was one mizzible effing cold.  I  got an Rx for some penicillin variant, and had to ask for another week's worth, which seems to have knocked it out finally.

I'm still wondering if I was one of the first victims of the chinkbug.  Nominal onset of the epidemic was in March-April of 2020 (~4-5 months later) , but these things aren't like turning on a light switch, like, you know, click and "Oh, there's an epidemic!"

My present Doctor says I don't need a test, either by nose swab or blood draw, so I don't know.  I'm waiting for my insurance provider to let me know when I can get my first vaccination shot.

I'm in one of those high-risk if I get it (82yo) but low risk to get it in the first place since I only go out once a week for provender and observe all the precautions re mask and hand-washing.  I keep forgetting about the six-foot "rule" though.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #606 on: January 02, 2021, 01:47:47 PM »
My wife and I both have it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #607 on: January 02, 2021, 04:52:13 PM »

Well, it was nice knowing you, Boomhauer.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #608 on: January 02, 2021, 06:09:32 PM »

Sorry to hear that.  Hope she gets well soon.   =D

Oh, and you too.   >:D

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #609 on: January 02, 2021, 06:34:45 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  Hope she gets well soon.   =D

Oh, and you too.   >:D

Lol thanks. I actually have no symptoms, she has normal cold symptoms plus can’t taste or smell which is what prompted us to get tested. I’m just hoping not to lose my taste lol I have quarantine snacks to eat

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 02, 2021, 08:55:33 PM »
Y'all get better soon. Hope it all breaks down to be an annoying "cold".
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #611 on: January 02, 2021, 11:00:36 PM »
I forgot to update this thread.

I had it a few weeks ago.  Just minor cold symptoms for 6 days, then I lost taste and smell.  100.1 fever for a couple hours on night 8, then I slept for 13 hours and woke up mostly symptom free.  Medication was a few courses of alka-seltzer, mucinex and a daily emergen-c supplement.  And LOTS of hot tea,  with a touch of medicinal rum some evenings for a hot toddy.  Still can't smell anything, taste is mostly back.  Compared to how some people have gotten wrecked by this,  I got lucky.  There but for the grace of God go I...

Never got tested,  I refuse to add to the governors weekly whine fest about increasing numbers.  Most of my closer acquaintances got it, and enough positive tests among them and similar symptoms was enough.  I'm up to 17 that I know got it.  No deaths (touch wood)
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #612 on: January 06, 2021, 11:26:51 AM »
My wife is having a most unpleasant time with rashes, hives and bumps driving her nuts. It’s a side effect she never anticipated.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #613 on: January 06, 2021, 12:13:40 PM »

My wife is having a most unpleasant time with rashes, hives and bumps driving her nuts. It’s a side effect she never anticipated.

It's ebola.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #614 on: January 06, 2021, 03:32:50 PM »

she sure she doesn't have shingles?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #615 on: January 07, 2021, 12:13:43 PM »
she sure she doesn't have shingles?

I’m not sure if it’s a possibility or not. She did not have Chickenpox as a child, instead her age was the first to get the chickenpox vaccine. She does have the wildcard factor of having lupus, it is dormant currently.

The bumps and rashes and such pop up randomly and disappear a couple hours later only to emerge a few hours down the road again.

It is better than more severe symptoms of the Kung Flu such as needing a vent or oxygen at least.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #616 on: January 07, 2021, 01:12:37 PM »
I’m not sure if it’s a possibility or not. She did not have Chickenpox as a child, instead her age was the first to get the chickenpox vaccine. She does have the wildcard factor of having lupus, it is dormant currently.

The bumps and rashes and such pop up randomly and disappear a couple hours later only to emerge a few hours down the road again.

It is better than more severe symptoms of the Kung Flu such as needing a vent or oxygen at least.

"It might be a tumor"
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #617 on: January 14, 2021, 08:08:52 PM »
A new technician at work had his Father going into the hospital yesterday with COVID.  He survived the night, but the doctors told the family to not expect it.  Holding on so far.
Another coworker's wife tested positive this morning and had a fever.  I was in contact with him yesterday (half of us were). 

The other coworker who had it over Christmas recovered and it back working.  His wife was still using an O2 machine last I heard.  They both got hit pretty hard by it. 

They say there are more cases around here and it looks like that is the case.  The one good thing is it seems the treatment at the hospital has improved over what I would hear 10 months ago.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #618 on: January 16, 2021, 09:27:40 PM »

I just talked to a Nurse friend that is positive. She has asthma and feels like crap but the thing she said that stood out was she was getting random breakouts of hives and a rash that come and go. With your wife and now her that makes two people I have heard of that happening to now. Interesting to me.

bob

OldFatBogie

« Reply #619 on: January 17, 2021, 12:03:11 AM »
Last February, had something that basically felt like I spent an hour in the CS gas training building... Sinuses dumped for over 48 hours straight, I swigged Nyquil, and slept on my stomach with my head hanging over the side of the bed. Shortly afterward, one of my cow-orkers got sick as a dog, and then fast-forward to December 14, came down with a crud, hit an Urgent Care, got tested, negative, but ran a fever between 100-102 for about a week and a half.

The doctor was hitting on me. She said I had a cute bronchitis. I was flattered.

My boss and another cow-orker just came back to work from two-week quarantines.

Here in St. Louis in the City (I now live in South City, and if I NEVER go back to Cranklin County, it will be too soon), we're at about 328 deaths with the 'Rona, out of a population of a bit over 319,000. Somewhat over half, maybe significantly over half, were patients in skilled nursing facilities.

OldFatBogie

« Reply #620 on: January 17, 2021, 12:55:05 AM »
An observation from my gentrified, 90+% voted for Clinton, neighborhood.

The folks who are getting hurt the worst are the fully woke.

They have businesses that they CANNOT open, unless they be decried as being less than woke.

The "working" diner? They're open as max as possible with the Democrat administration restrictions.

The Trendy "diner?" They still do curbside takeout, if I _ever_ see anyone sitting at their curb. And they can't open, or the trendy folks will hate on them.

The local "we serve MEAT" bars and restaurants are open as much as possible.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #621 on: January 17, 2021, 01:22:37 AM »
Had it.

Sore throat on one side when I swallowed or yawned, felt like I had a fever but no elevated temperature. Felt a little more tired than usual for a couple days. Honestly I didn’t think anything of it at the time because it seemed more like it had to do with my left Eustachian tube instead of something more general. Then as those symptoms cleared up I suddenly lost my sense of smell. Completely. As in I couldn’t smell vinegar if I put my nose right up to it (that was actually how I noticed it). That got incrementally better but for whatever reason I still can’t smell many unpleasant odors. Food smells fine, if maybe a little muted, and fragrances in soap, deodorant and such are mild but detectable - but I don’t smell bad breath, flatulence or feces at all.  Very weird.

Also spicy food isn’t as spicy.  I still feel it, but way less than beforehand.

I did not die while bleeding from the eyes.

I had been working from home for a couple weeks and wearing a fresh cloth mask when I went to the store (the only time I was going out at the time) and washing my hands when I got home.  I have no idea where I picked it up.

No one else in my house got it.

OldFatBogie

« Reply #622 on: January 17, 2021, 01:27:35 AM »
Just a concept from an essential retail employee?

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE IF YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE "IN QUARANTINE."

Now, I am pretty sure I had it at one time or another. But that magic mask ain't gonna do *expletive deleted*it. Not unless it leaves a groove in our face.

Especially if it is one of the fancy N95s with a vent. No, that does NOT impress the counter help.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #623 on: January 17, 2021, 08:36:11 AM »
Had it.

Then as those symptoms cleared up I suddenly lost my sense of smell. Completely. As in I couldn’t smell vinegar if I put my nose right up to it (that was actually how I noticed it). That got incrementally better but for whatever reason I still can’t smell many unpleasant odors. Food smells fine, if maybe a little muted, and fragrances in soap, deodorant and such are mild but detectable - but I don’t smell bad breath, flatulence or feces at all.  Very weird.

I still don't have mine back. As I mentioned earlier, mine didn't start until several weeks after the "main" symptoms were completely gone. It has changed somewhat to be similar to yours, in which it's almost selective. Just now, sticking my nose in my coffee cup, I was barely able to wake up and smell the coffee - barely detectable. I can't at all smell the body wash I use in the shower, so am constantly going around in public wondering if I stink like a hippie.  :laugh:

Overall it's selective not only in what I smell, but how strongly I smell it, variably. Sometimes I don't smell a thing, sometimes I can detect it barely to moderately. Nothing is "back to normal" at this time. I just saw an MD interviewed on the TV, and she was talking about how this symptom is related to the nervous system, which is a little worrisome.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #624 on: January 17, 2021, 10:04:05 PM »
I still don't have mine back. As I mentioned earlier, mine didn't start until several weeks after the "main" symptoms were completely gone. It has changed somewhat to be similar to yours, in which it's almost selective. Just now, sticking my nose in my coffee cup, I was barely able to wake up and smell the coffee - barely detectable. I can't at all smell the body wash I use in the shower, so am constantly going around in public wondering if I stink like a hippie.  :laugh:

Overall it's selective not only in what I smell, but how strongly I smell it, variably. Sometimes I don't smell a thing, sometimes I can detect it barely to moderately. Nothing is "back to normal" at this time. I just saw an MD interviewed on the TV, and she was talking about how this symptom is related to the nervous system, which is a little worrisome.

Same thing here.

I can't smell ANYTHING.  Like the whole shop smelled like rancid nasty burned gear oil and I had no idea.  And that *expletive deleted*it stinks.

Still thankful for an otherwise easy time.  I'll take middling cold symptoms and taste/smell issues over getting put on a ventilator.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.