Author Topic: COVID19 predictions  (Read 43149 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: COVID19 predictions
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2020, 11:45:31 PM »
Age group 60-69: 37.41 million Americans  * 50% infection rate * 4.5% CFR = 800k dead.

Lesse, 63 next month, morbidly overweight, cancer, Type II Diabetes, Blood pressure "ok" with meds, some heart issues, and LOTS of other stuff that probably won't kill me but make life pretty sucky.
I'll be fine. Everything's just fine. :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2020, 11:47:07 PM »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2020, 12:23:50 AM »
21 Million Fewer Cellphone Users in China May Suggest a High CCP Virus Death Toll
https://youtu.be/wfDAcuSMSZo
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2020, 12:33:49 AM »
CDC says coronavirus survived in Princess Cruise ship cabins for up to 17 days after passengers left
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-coronavirus-survived-in-princess-cruise-cabins-up-to-17-days-after-passengers-left.html
MOLON LABE!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2020, 05:49:43 AM »
I shouldn’t have resorted to name calling and I apologize.  And yes 1) it violates the code of conduct of APS 2) I’ve been called out by other moderators on it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2020, 05:55:15 AM »
I shouldn’t have resorted to name calling and I apologize.  And yes 1) it violates the code of conduct of APS 2) I’ve been called out by other moderators on it.

Thanks, Jamis.  Apology accepted.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2020, 08:12:34 AM »
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1242245135129346050?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1242245135129346050&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fworld%2F2020%2Fmar%2F24%2Folder-people-would-rather-die-than-let-covid-19-lockdown-harm-us-economy-texas-official-dan-patrick

Well, here's one guy who is willing to sacrifice the elderly on the altar of the almighty dollar.

From the quote, he said they were willing to take a risk and NOT shut down the entire economy.

That's a far cry from, "Let's kill off Grandma!" It's a measured risk that can be rationally disagreed about. Those elderly can much more easily, with much smaller disruptions, self-quarantine. Few of them have jobs and have to go out.

If they're really concerned, the state/city/county/neighbors/etc... can provide delivery services to the at risk population and allow them to self-quarantine more easily.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends

Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2020, 09:25:45 AM »
I read this guy pretty regularly, he's been running a series about this event.

He, like some here, is absolutely mortified by the government/social response and unreasonable panic.

In a couple weeks we'll have a better idea of who is right.

A lot of his discussion is well out of my wheel house, he's a statistician.

https://wmbriggs.com/post/29886/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2020, 09:29:45 AM »
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1242245135129346050?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1242245135129346050&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fworld%2F2020%2Fmar%2F24%2Folder-people-would-rather-die-than-let-covid-19-lockdown-harm-us-economy-texas-official-dan-patrick

Well, here's one guy who is willing to sacrifice the elderly on the altar of the almighty dollar.
Listening to the actual interview, that is not at all what he said.  He said he was told by elderly people that they were not willing to destroy the country just to guarantee their own survival.  That makes some sense.  

If we are going to sacrifice Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness in order to guarantee Life, I think most will find that isn't a very good trade in the long run.  Short term events like this can have very lasting impact.  I think there is a way to get through this without that sort of trade off.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2020, 10:56:46 AM »
Epidemiologist bucking the trend.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate?fbclid=IwAR0KTjKo-TO06FbceRno2yptgSmnBSe9BX80NztGXNCRf6UCIc5cgJiFffw

Except he's relying on Chinese data...
The Chinese death toll stopped at around 3000 because the Winnie the Pooh declared that the COVID-19 deaths would stop.

Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2020, 11:08:31 AM »

Except he's relying on Chinese data...
The Chinese death toll stopped at around 3000 because the Winnie the Pooh declared that the COVID-19 deaths would stop.

That's one reason I'm not freaking about the shutdown.

As a plebe I have very unreliable sources of information in general.

My hueristic is if a politician or China says it, beware! If the media reports it consider the opposite of the reporting as the potential truth 😁

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2020, 11:39:04 AM »
A quote from a friend, he's an really annoying numbers engineering guy.

Tuberculosis is the only disease that kills more people per day, as of today. By this weekend covid-19 will be the deadliest disease on our planet in terms of daily deaths. #1 spot in 8 weeks. I sincerely hope that its decline is as fast as its rise.

The chart he referenced (global not just USA)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2020, 10:25:01 PM »
21 Million Fewer Cellphone Users in China May Suggest a High CCP Virus Death Toll
https://youtu.be/wfDAcuSMSZo

Well, I *AM* in a days walking distance from Boulder CO.  So I got that going for me.  =D

My gut tells me this is gonna get REAL ugly in the U.S. REAL soon.  Numbers of cases are on the up-slope, I'm reading of Hospitals on the East coast near the breaking point and staff getting sick due to no PPE for them.

But then, back in the day my gut told me that one of our male friends visiting my ex in the evening while I was at work was not a problem.

Does that seam right to you?  :P
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2020, 08:04:58 AM »
"21 Million Fewer Cellphone Users in China May Suggest a High CCP Virus Death Toll"

;/

It could also suggest something else... say... China shutting down huge numbers of cell phone users to keep them from easily getting information out about the virus. But China wouldn't do that, would they?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2020, 08:53:17 AM »
"21 Million Fewer Cellphone Users in China May Suggest a High CCP Virus Death Toll"

;/

It could also suggest something else... say... China shutting down huge numbers of cell phone users to keep them from easily getting information out about the virus. But China wouldn't do that, would they?

Hell, the simplest answer is they lost jobs and can't pay the bill.

I don't believe China at all. They need the world economy to start back up more than Trump does.  But I really doubt that 15million+ died in china and there's not been a peep about it.
Not even China could hide 15 million deaths.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2020, 09:06:04 AM »
Not even China could hide 15 million deaths.

With Tor, etc., even in a clamped down society like China, something that big would get out. If nothing else, all those "incinerator" images would be about 1000X more prevalent.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2020, 10:26:27 AM »
The Chinese phone thing could be the government mandating everyone change over to 5G so they could have the latest and greatest phone tech to better control their citizens.  Corona virus may have thrown a wrench in the process.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2020, 11:00:31 AM »
15 million dead is a lot of mass graves, and you would think that various governments or private industry would be releasing the satellite images.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2020, 11:15:17 AM »
15 million dead is a lot of mass graves, and you would think that various governments or private industry would be releasing the satellite images.

Ashes don't require mass graves you can see from space.

https://prepforthat.com/china-coronavirus-mobile-incinerators/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2020, 11:19:46 AM »
I think that some portion of the Chinese figures for lost cell phone lines is the dead, but I'm guessing that number is going to be in the 6 figures, not 7 or 8. Whatever Italy has for a CFR, multiplied by their population difference. I personally peg China's death number from Covid to be around 200,000 +/- 20%.

Despite all their censorship, we're too connected and rumors and testimony through personal phone calls to family etc. would be leaking out.
I promise not to duck.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2020, 11:59:59 AM »
People are working on ways to convert CPAP machines to ventilators... there is a supposed to be a working prototype being submitted to the FDA.  Let's hope it gets approved asap.  Then the plans can be distributed to whoever needs them.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2020, 12:09:59 PM »
US data, plotted on a log scale:

We can break this with VERY aggressive action, but judging by what a lockdown looks like in Kansas City, it doesn't seem aggressive enough.