Author Topic: COVID19 predictions  (Read 43095 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: COVID19 predictions
« Reply #301 on: April 10, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »
That's a plan I would love to see implemented in the US.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #302 on: April 10, 2020, 02:42:42 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #303 on: April 11, 2020, 11:07:09 AM »
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/04/kurzarbeit-coronavirus-pandemic-america-unemployment-apocalypse-europe-not/

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out in Europe vs. the USA.

We choose to spend $2T mostly to bail out businesses.  We could have paid every person in the US $24,000 with that money.  Do I agree with it? No.  But we'd have a lot of people with money ready to spend in 2 months.  Instead, we'll have a lot of businesses pulling stunts like buying up their own stock, cutting salaries, and paying CEO bonuses.  And double digit unemployment will still be there at the end of this year.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #304 on: April 11, 2020, 11:22:41 AM »
We choose to spend $2T mostly to bail out businesses.  We could have paid every person in the US $24,000 with that money.  Do I agree with it? No.  But we'd have a lot of people with money ready to spend in 2 months.  Instead, we'll have a lot of businesses pulling stunts like buying up their own stock, cutting salaries, and paying CEO bonuses.  And double digit unemployment will still be there at the end of this year.

Might want to check your decimal places there.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #305 on: April 11, 2020, 11:30:16 AM »
Might want to check your decimal places there.

Oops you're right.  $6116.  So it would need to be capped and only go to adults to make a real impact. 
$6116 is still more than most are getting from the stimulus though.  For a lot of people that's 3 months of rent plus utilities.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #306 on: April 11, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »
My understanding is that the money going to businesses comes with caveats like no bonuses for execs.

I just don't know where I stand on all this spending, but if companies and small businesses go out of business due to mandatory gov shutdowns, there are no jobs to go back to for the unemployed. I don't think you can help just one without helping the other.

I'm much more concerned with the money that goes to the Kennedy Center and other commie pinko causes. We'll see if my math is right, but $25 million/$25,000 = 1000 small businesses that could get $25,000, which could be the difference between hanging on and going under before this is over.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #307 on: April 11, 2020, 12:34:26 PM »
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/04/kurzarbeit-coronavirus-pandemic-america-unemployment-apocalypse-europe-not/

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out in Europe vs. the USA.
America Is Having an Unemployment Apocalypse. Europe Chose Not to.

What was the unemployment % in Europe before all this? 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #308 on: April 11, 2020, 01:24:51 PM »
America Is Having an Unemployment Apocalypse. Europe Chose Not to.

What was the unemployment % in Europe before all this? 

Don't know about the EU as a whole, but since the article mostly talked about Germany:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/375209/unemployment-rate-in-germany/

Low 3%'s last year and under 5% since 2014.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #309 on: April 11, 2020, 04:28:33 PM »
Does the EU and/or Germany have strict labor laws where firing or furlough employees is almost impossible?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #310 on: April 11, 2020, 04:49:57 PM »
Benny

@bennyjohnson

During this crisis people have been arrested for:

- Going to church
- Playing with their own kids
- Being in their own yard
- Paddle boarding
- Not wearing a mask
- Jogging on a beach

Perhaps the biggest victory for China during China Virus has been the world turning into China
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #311 on: April 12, 2020, 02:36:21 PM »
Does the EU and/or Germany have strict labor laws where firing or furlough employees is almost impossible?

Great Britain does, friend over there told me if your unemployed you get assigned a job.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #312 on: April 13, 2020, 01:50:22 AM »

It was mentioned in the linked article that Germany has made it pretty difficult to fire and/or furlough workers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #313 on: April 13, 2020, 09:26:52 AM »
I have heard France has OT rules that strictly limit the amount of overtime an hourly worker can put in.  It forces industrial plants to hire more workers to cover vacation, etc. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #314 on: April 13, 2020, 09:32:40 AM »
It was mentioned in the linked article that Germany has made it pretty difficult to fire and/or furlough workers.

Pretty much most EU countries have gone that way.  Can't work too many hours, mandatory sick time and vacation, etc.

On paper, they will look better than us coming out of lockdown. 
JD

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #315 on: April 13, 2020, 04:30:10 PM »
Pretty much most EU countries have gone that way.  Can't work too many hours, mandatory sick time and vacation, etc.

On paper, they will look better than us coming out of lockdown. 
We have yet to get locked down here in Sweden. Only restriction is that they banned all gathering of more than 500 people to begin with, and then lowered it to 50. But bars and pubs and restaurants are still open for business as usual, although they have been seeing fewer patrons since the start of the outbreak. But no businesses have been closed due to government orders, no travel restrictions etc. We´ll see how it goes. Right now we aren´t doing too well compared to Denmark and Norway, who both have roughly half of our population each but only 1/4 of the deaths that we do. As of the latest figures we have just over 900 confirmed dead and 10500 confirmed infected.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #316 on: April 13, 2020, 04:44:39 PM »
We have yet to get locked down here in Sweden. Only restriction is that they banned all gathering of more than 500 people to begin with, and then lowered it to 50. But bars and pubs and restaurants are still open for business as usual, although they have been seeing fewer patrons since the start of the outbreak. But no businesses have been closed due to government orders, no travel restrictions etc. We´ll see how it goes. Right now we aren´t doing too well compared to Denmark and Norway, who both have roughly half of our population each but only 1/4 of the deaths that we do. As of the latest figures we have just over 900 confirmed dead and 10500 confirmed infected.

Interesting on many fronts. That's a ~10% mortality rate for reported infections. What is the percentage of people over say, 60 years of age in your total population?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #317 on: April 13, 2020, 06:16:24 PM »

I just heard that Finland closed down their borders today.

That means no one can cross the Finnish line!!!

Bada-bing….. I'll be here all week, tip your waitress on the way out!!

bob

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #318 on: April 13, 2020, 06:45:09 PM »
Interesting on many fronts. That's a ~10% mortality rate for reported infections. What is the percentage of people over say, 60 years of age in your total population?
Yep, but only for reported infection - keep in mind our government has been playing catching up with trying to get people tested. As for % of population over the age of 60 I have not found any easy statistics to look at right now. Interestingly, in the beginning while we still had merely 50 or so dead, the majority of these were in Stockholm, which is not unusual. The unusual thing was that half of those dead in Stockholm were of Somali heritage. Interestingly, by today´s statistics,about half of the confirmed cases are in Stockholm, which is the capital and biggest city. The casualty rates mirror this quite well. However, my region/county (Think British county, not American county) which also covers Gothenburg, aka second biggest city, only has somewhat less than 1100 cases in total and 50 or so dead. Likewise, Stockholm has almost 200 cases per 100k citizens, my county/region has just over 60/100k. Whether this disrepancy is because of testing I do not know.

Edit to add: Not the exact age range, but 20% of our population is above the age of 65.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #319 on: April 13, 2020, 07:19:44 PM »

Edit to add: Not the exact age range, but 20% of our population is above the age of 65.

US reports ~15% above 65, so you do have more older people than we do, though there are of course, other factors as well. The Somalis are interesting given China's recent quarantine of black people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2020, 07:27:19 PM »
About a week old, but Bill Whittle has some predictions in this vidja:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iPOlKCGtY0
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #321 on: May 03, 2020, 08:29:02 PM »
The CDC actually breaks down the numbers.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #322 on: May 03, 2020, 08:39:59 PM »
I just heard that Finland closed down their borders today.

That means no one can cross the Finnish line!!!

Russians could've told you that...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #323 on: May 03, 2020, 10:29:41 PM »
32T in debt before this year is done.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?