Author Topic: Hydrogen make big boom in my neighborhood  (Read 2541 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Hydrogen make big boom in my neighborhood
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 03:03:23 PM »
I reckon we're still in the learning phase of how to handle hydrogen.

Thank G-d nobody was killed.

But I can't help thinking about boiler explosions before we learned how to play with steam.

In fact, I guess we're still learning.  Three killed:

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/killed-boiler-explosion-caught-camera-46562554
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 03:10:33 PM »
In the early days of stationary building steam heating systems there was the mistaken idea that you needed high pressure to heat a home or other building, and there were a number of nasty explosions, and for about 50 years steam heat fell out of favor, especially in Europe.

Someone finally realized that home systems worked perfectly well at ounces of pressure, not pounds, meaning you essentially had a tea kettle in your basement, not a pressure vessel bomb.

Steam systems were accepted more readily in the US, especially starting after the Civil War, likely because all of the major kinks had been worked out of the systems.

The house I grew up in had been fitted with steam heat some years after it was built.

It never went boom once.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 03:23:18 PM »
I reckon we're still in the learning phase of how to handle hydrogen.

Thank G-d nobody was killed.

But I can't help thinking about boiler explosions before we learned how to play with steam.

In fact, I guess we're still learning.  Three killed:

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/killed-boiler-explosion-caught-camera-46562554

If I remember right, the deceased had just been hired at an adjacent business, and were all in the same room together, filling out new hire paperwork.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 11:41:24 PM »
Just read one news article that said the event was indeed a hydrogen explosion, but there is still no information available as to the cause.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.