Author Topic: Trump Expands Hunting and Fishing on Public Lands  (Read 1648 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trump Expands Hunting and Fishing on Public Lands
« on: April 09, 2020, 08:23:04 PM »
Good for him. There has been too much going in the other direction to appease the enviro nazis. Public lands should be broadly open.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/trump-administration-wildlife-refuge-hunting-fishing-access-plan.amp
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Trump Expands Hunting and Fishing on Public Lands
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 08:27:21 AM »
Good for him. There has been too much going in the other direction to appease the enviro nazis. Public lands should be broadly open.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/trump-administration-wildlife-refuge-hunting-fishing-access-plan.amp

Obama's "road closures" was one of the most nefarious things for public access I've ever seen. 
Anyone who hasn't lived out west has no idea what those BLM lands are like.  To close off those roads eliminated millions of acres for access.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 10:15:07 AM »
Obama's "road closures" was one of the most nefarious things for public access I've ever seen. 
Anyone who hasn't lived out west has no idea what those BLM lands are like.  To close off those roads eliminated millions of acres for access.

I thought that was a Clinton thing with Sec. Bruce Babbitt.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 11:07:40 AM »
Anyone who hasn't lived out west has no idea what those BLM lands are like.  To close off those roads eliminated millions of acres for access.

It's been going on for a while.  Any restriction or conversion to nature-photography-only uses is a "choke point" for more hairy pursuits like hunting.  Consider how much land was converted to "monuments" and "preserves" and "primitive areas" in the last fifty years or so.

All well and good, but I started to look at all these conversions as part of a strategy to create more "choke poins" to more hairy activities.  [tinfoil]

Like hunting.   [tinfoil]

While I'm at it, I discovered a lot of non-westerners don't understand that "BLM land" is land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, a Federal agency.

I figured I'd better mention that again.

Terry, 230RN

NOTE:  I frequently use nature photography and bird-watching as catchwords for the "gentler" aspects of the love of nature.  I recognize that these are legitimately satisfying pursuits, but it's just a snarky way for me to label the Birkenstock-bandana-yuppie "guns-is-bad" crowd.  

Edited to correct two typos.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:16:45 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 11:17:38 AM »

It was also a potential environmental nightmare. Erasing those roads from maps didn't eliminate the roads. Those roads were mostly a mix of forest service roads and fairly crude dirt or gravel roads, with rudimentary drainage culverts and structures. If not maintained, they are subject to severe erosion, with consequences for every watercourse downstream. If they "don't exist," they don't get maintained. Further, if they aren't kept clear of trees that fall across them, fallen trees inpede access in the event of forest fires.

But didn't the "roadless initiative" start with Clinton?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 01:20:33 PM »
NOTE:  I frequently use nature photography and bird-watching as catchwords for the "gentler" aspects of the love of nature.  I recognize that these are legitimately satisfying pursuits, but it's just a snarky way for me to label the Birkenstock-bandana-yuppie "guns-is-bad" crowd. 

When I'm out and about doing landscape/nature photography I'm always armed.  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 03:36:28 PM »
The plan earned applause from several hunting and fishing groups, but criticism from one conservation organization that called it “tone deaf” to focus on this during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Because giving people greater access to game animals is "tone-deaf" at a time when grocery stores can't keep up with demand.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 07:33:17 AM »
Remember fistful you are dealing with people who want to starve those “red state aholes” and eliminate the “overpopulation” of Earth by wrecking the agriculture system, curtailing meat purchase, eliminate hunting, etc. Plus they are pointing out the shortages of a very few items as a great reason of why we need to convert to the system where the shortages are massive but mass graves are plentiful.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 11:08:40 AM »
I thought that was a Clinton thing with Sec. Bruce Babbitt.

They both did it.  Bush rolled back a lot of the Clinton era ones, but Obama put them back in play.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 01:17:16 PM »
Remember fistful you are dealing with people who want to starve those “red state aholes” and eliminate the “overpopulation” of Earth by wrecking the agriculture system, curtailing meat purchase, eliminate hunting, etc. Plus they are pointing out the shortages of a very few items as a great reason of why we need to convert to the system where the shortages are massive but mass graves are plentiful.

I remember alright.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife