Author Topic: Dems block $250 billion in additional aid for small businesses  (Read 1436 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Interesting.

Very interesting.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/09/coronavirus-updates-senate-blocks-small-business-loan-legislation.html

Maybe they objected to there not being mandatory union membership for all American workers included in the bill?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Dems block $250 billion in additional aid for small businesses
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 02:03:09 PM »
There was a bunch of unrelated pork the Democrats wanted to insert in the bill, hence its being dead on arrival.  Political posturing on both sides, not really meant to pass.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 02:05:59 PM »
From the article:

Speaking on the Senate floor, McConnell said he was not “talking about changing any policy language” the parties negotiated last month as part of an unprecedented $2 trillion emergency spending package. He urged Democrats not to “block emergency aid you do not even oppose just because you want something more” — tweaks to the small business aid program and more emergency funding for hospitals and states, a proposal Democratic leaders outlined Wednesday.

I hate to say I agree with Mitch, but I agree with Mitch.  They should have passed the added funding for the existing payroll loan program, and gone back to arguing about which pork get's passed on Monday.

A clean "this much more money to the existing loan program" should have been a no-brainer.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 02:14:48 PM »
"There was a bunch of unrelated pork the Democrats wanted to insert in the bill..."

$25 million wasn't enough for the Kennedy Center?

They need another $25 million to lay off the rest of the staff?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 06:46:51 PM »
I don't know if we'd need a constitutional amendment for this or just have a congress manned by patriots:  Any bill submitted for congressional and presidential approval that contains money to be spent, SHALL NOT contain any other language pertaining to anything else other than language pertaining to the specific bill.  In other words one bill = one item.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 07:04:58 PM »
That’s my presidential platform. One item, one bill. Balanced budget. Line item veto for appropriations. Term limits. Repeal the 17th.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 07:07:48 PM »
I don't know if we'd need a constitutional amendment for this or just have a congress manned by patriots:  Any bill submitted for congressional and presidential approval that contains money to be spent, SHALL NOT contain any other language pertaining to anything else other than language pertaining to the specific bill.  In other words one bill = one item.

Yup. Both sides have held the American people hostage with "padding the bill" as it were.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 09:38:12 AM »
Line Item Veto would help with that.  Or at least put pressure on the President to cut stuff.  The edited bill could even go back for a up/down vote.  I also like the automatic sunset clause mentioned in a previous thread.

Add in that no law or regulation is binding without explicit authorization by a bill passed by Congress and signed by the President.  Legislative authority cannot be delegated. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 06:21:29 PM »
Now apparently Pelosi wants HR5717 added to the next stimulus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Z-hd59LmU
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?