Author Topic: What's this car?  (Read 1910 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
What's this car?
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:50:01 AM »

My brother saw this car on the road a few days ago.  No one seems to know exactly what it is.  It looks like its American made, Id guess between the late 60s and the early 70s.  I figured someone here might know what it is.  Thoughts? 

Thanks!
-Nick

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: What's this car?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 03:51:55 AM »
Looks like it could be an AMC Matador.  But then it also has the lines of a Datsun from that era also.

After looking at some pictures I would say it is a Datsun 200 series.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 04:00:57 AM »
here is a 73 matador

but I would say the vehicle you saw is probably a Datsun 610  1974-1976

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 04:04:48 AM »
My first thought was a Datsun also but then the angle of the picture fooled me a little to think that it could be a Matador.  However, after looking at some pictures I relized that the Matador was a bigger car. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 04:05:06 AM »
Poor, Nick, too young to remember the fine products of AMC, the Pacer, the Gremlin and the Matador.

Lucky, guy!!! laugh
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 04:15:38 AM »
I owned a Pacer for awhile.  Plus don't forget the Javelin.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 04:24:35 AM »
AMC, them some ugly cars in the 1970's

Uranus is a gas giant.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 04:35:31 AM »
It's an Opal.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 04:40:23 AM »
I owned a Pacer for awhile.
Sorry to hear that.

A friend's sister had one, and just about anything and everything that could go wrong with a car - short of the wheels actually falling off on the highway - went wrong with that one. (When the A/C crapped out - car was still under warranty - the dealer had the chutzpah to tell her that air "wasn't supposed" to come out of the vents on the dash!)

As for styling . . . actually, to my eyes, the first Mercedes consumer SUV for the U.S. market looked a lot like a cross between the then-defunct Pacer wagon and a Suzuki Samurai . . .  shocked

Not a pretty sight . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 04:47:54 AM »
Either a Dodge Colt or a Datsun of some vintage.

Pacer=ugly.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 04:58:09 AM »
My first car was a used Gremlin!  Where's the embarrased smiley?
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 05:08:20 AM »
Late 70's Datsun, B210 sedan.  They also made a fastback.
For the youngsters, Datsun later renamed itself Nissan.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 05:22:05 AM »
Late 70's Datsun, B210 sedan.  They also made a fastback.
For the youngsters, Datsun later renamed itself Nissan.
During the name change period, they put both names on the vehicle.  IIRC, it was primarly done on the trucks.

Chris

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 05:32:14 AM »
That's a Datsun B210.

I knew that instantly, because as soon as I could walk, my dad and I would go on walks a few nights a week, and he would teach me to recognize all kinds of cars.  And so, I'm ruined for life.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 05:33:45 AM »
that is better MPG with that Datsun than many of the small cars get now.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 05:47:54 AM »
 smiley

Thanks!  I'll let my brother know.

I wonder if this is a result of emissions standards?

-Nick

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 06:57:41 AM »
smiley
I wonder if this is a result of emissions standards?
That's at least part of the reason.

Case in point: My first car was a '73 Grand Am, with the smogger motor that barely ran. Got 10 MPG initially . . . but when I applied the techniques of a publication called "The Emission Control Bypass Manual" the fuel economy went up to 12.5 - 13 MPG, with greatly improve driveability and a significant power boost.

A friend with '75 Valiant Dart with the 6-cylinder engine experienced even more dramatic gains when he did the same to his vehicle . . . and he had a box with around 50 lbs. of parts left over!

Today's engines and emission controls are far more sophisticated than they were in the '70s, but aftermarket chips and other accessories are available for many vehicles which will improve power or economy, sometimes both, but always at the expense of emissions. That tells me that emission controls do exact a price in fuel economy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 07:44:16 AM »
My first car was an '81 AMC Spirit.  Tough little thing.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 07:50:21 AM »

A combination of a 55 mph speed limit and power measured in gerbils, not horses.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »
I had fun on the backseat of a friend's Datsun back in '88.
Back then I thought they were cool.

One of my first cars was a 72 Chevy Chevelle Malibu, looks almost the same but is twice as big, which I bought from an old guy who switched to a Toyota for 400 bucks.

Oh the smile on my face when I drove a 110 m/h form LA to San Francisco
passing by the Danish strawberry farms....
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 09:39:47 AM »
Huh?

A combination of a 55 mph speed limit and power measured in gerbils, not horses.

I had a Datsun B-210 with 1.6L engine and the pickup version, the 620.  What 55mph speed limit?  My vehicles didn't have a governor, did yours? The little Datsuns were fun to work on, dirt simple, and no more anemic in the 0-60 times than my 235cid (aka 3.8L) 1960 Chevrolet Apache 20 pickup.  Not all of us drove 350s, 454 Big Blocks, or 426 Hemis during the Arab Oil Embargo, just like some of us don't care to drive Tahoe-with-codpiece Hummer H2s during the current gas price increases. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 10:29:24 AM »
Huh?

I had a Datsun B-210 with 1.6L engine and the pickup version, the 620.  What 55mph speed limit?  My vehicles didn't have a governor, did yours? The little Datsuns were fun to work on, dirt simple, and no more anemic in the 0-60 times than my 235cid (aka 3.8L) 1960 Chevrolet Apache 20 pickup.  Not all of us drove 350s, 454 Big Blocks, or 426 Hemis during the Arab Oil Embargo, just like some of us don't care to drive Tahoe-with-codpiece Hummer H2s during the current gas price increases. 

I totally agree, I haven't own a V-8 since I sold my Mustang GT. I really don't miss it because you really can't legally or practically use all the horsepower anyway on public roads, plus driving like a maniac will end up getting you killed or someone else killed. Plus if most of your driving is in town and under 45 mph why does one think they need a super high horsepower car?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 10:31:42 AM »

Plus if most of your driving is in town and under 45 mph why does one think they need a super high horsepower car?

So why does one think they "need" any caliber larger than .22 LR? Wink

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 10:38:42 AM »
I've owned exactly one V8 car, and I miss it.  It was a 1964 Mercury Comet with a 289.  Loved that car.
Even my 2002 F-150 had a six cylinder, and I currently drive a car with a 110 HP 1.6L four banger.
There's just something about the sound and feel of a V8, even if you can't use it all.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2007, 10:40:05 AM »

Plus if most of your driving is in town and under 45 mph why does one think they need a super high horsepower car?

So why does one think they "need" any caliber larger than .22 LR? Wink

Brad

I refuse to be sucked into that debate. :neener:

Uranus is a gas giant.