Author Topic: Why I wasn't an Economics major  (Read 772 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Why I wasn't an Economics major
« on: April 21, 2020, 10:36:37 AM »
This stuff doesn't make sense to me.

According to this article ( https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/alex-rodriguez-jennifer-lopez-mets-1234585417/ ) A-Rod and J-Lo want to buy the NY Mets. Early in the article, it says the team is valued at $2.6 billion. Toward the end of the article, it says the team is losing at least $50 million per year.

I always thought when someone considered buying a business they looked over the books to verify that the company is showing a profit. How can any business that's losing $50 million a year be worth $2.6 billion? How can it be worth anything?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Why I wasn't an Economics major
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »
In this case, scarcity I imagine.  Not too many professional teams near New York.  Some people will pay for the "prestige" of ownership. 

There might be other reasons the team is losing money.  I wouldn't know.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 11:08:43 AM »
Same thing can be said about farming.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 04:05:04 PM »
This stuff doesn't make sense to me.

According to this article ( https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/alex-rodriguez-jennifer-lopez-mets-1234585417/ ) A-Rod and J-Lo want to buy the NY Mets. Early in the article, it says the team is valued at $2.6 billion. Toward the end of the article, it says the team is losing at least $50 million per year.

I always thought when someone considered buying a business they looked over the books to verify that the company is showing a profit. How can any business that's losing $50 million a year be worth $2.6 billion? How can it be worth anything?

They probably saw some of those funky baseball / soccer / hockey / football movies where a woman buys or inherits the broken down tail-end-of-the-standings team and despite the highly vocal doubts of the team and the coaches and the fans brings the team <cue uplifting music> to the worldwide championship <cue even more dramatic upliftng music>.

In some instances of this canned storyboard, they enlist the help of an angel or other supernatural agency (such as the spirit of a former great player or coach), yet never realize that using the help of this external entity is, inherently, cheating.  (Neither does the external entity or the audience.)

Sample voluntary side stories designed to enhance cutesiness or empathic impact:

(1) The woman's yappy little lap dog finally comes to accept her boyfriend, who was instrumental in making all the team members and coaches accept her leadership.  Awwwww....

(2)  Some developer wants to buy the team to destroy their historic and beloved stadium and put up a shopping mall and they thwartily thwart his efforts.  Yayyyyyy...

(3) Some combination or (1) and (2) above.

Welcome to the dream world of show biz.

:rofl:  Gee, that was fun.

Terry, claster of icons, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:10:39 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 04:34:40 PM »
Some people are so rich they don't mind, or even want, to lose money. Business losses can be used to offset revenues and reduce taxes. 

Also, the fact that they lose 50mil per year might easily be artificial in itself. There's plenty of ways to make a business lose money on purpose while actually making money off of it in the big picture. Again, a business that loses money owes no taxes. Some businesses are raking in plenty of profit over expenses but their books show losses because they are writing down massive amounts of capital depreciation every year, even of the capital itself is effectively paid off, or if it's purchased on a low-interest loan.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 04:38:55 PM »
Nah, we knew all about that. They're just living in that previously-outlined show biz dream world.

Boy, you're no fun.  >:D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 04:54:40 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.