Author Topic: Anyone interested in pemmican?  (Read 4551 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Anyone interested in pemmican?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 09:01:24 PM »
Always wanted to make some.
I assume rendered beef fat would work too?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 08:18:42 AM »
Always wanted to make some.
I assume rendered beef fat would work too?

Seeing as they used bison fat or deer fat historically, I would bet any animal fat would work.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 12:37:17 AM »
Seeing as they used bison fat or deer fat historically, I would bet any animal fat would work.

You'd want it to a pretty high proportion of saturated fat.  You want the fat to stay solid up to reasonably high temperature.  Chicken fat is pretty soft at room temp.  Lard can be somewhat soft, depending on what the pig was eating and the breed.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 12:54:34 AM »
I will note that from what I've read the nutritive value of pemmican is compromised if you dry the meat at 170F as recommended in the link in the OP.  Obviously it takes a lot longer, but if you keep the meat under 100F while it dries the nutritional value is substantially higher.  A hot sunny windy day is about ideal.  Or a fire or other heat source where you can keep the meat from cooking.  Being able to slice it super thin will help a lot with getting it to dry quickly.