Author Topic: Jogger shot in Georgia  (Read 18118 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Jogger shot in Georgia
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2021, 11:52:16 AM »
It appears the alleged victim in this case wasn't the squeaky clean, all-American boy the media would like us to view him as.

https://thepostmillennial.com/new-evidence-reveals-ahmaud-arbery-claimed-to-be-a-jogger-as-an-alibi-for-criminal-activity
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2021, 12:02:00 PM »
It appears the alleged victim in this case wasn't the squeaky clean, all-American boy the media would like us to view him as.

https://thepostmillennial.com/new-evidence-reveals-ahmaud-arbery-claimed-to-be-a-jogger-as-an-alibi-for-criminal-activity

Yeah, some of that was brought up in earlier posts. Trouble is it makes him even more of a hero of the left because, you know, he wouldn't have had to be a criminal if it wasn't for white racism and capitalism and all that.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2021, 02:48:32 PM »

On February 23, Ahmaud Arbery was killed while he was running through the Satilla Shores neighborhood near Brunswick, in Georgia. Two men were sitting on their lawn when Arbery passed, and they pursued him in their truck. The men proceeded to get out of their truck and shoot Arbery, which resulted in his death.
It has been quite a while since I saw that video, but it was a little bit more complicated that that.  Instead of running away or standing still, Aubery advanced on the guy and grabbed for the shotgun.  Who was justified to do what was the question I was unclear of.  A case could be made for either one and both were likely in the process of doing things they weren't supposed to (though I haven't seen evidence that Aubery was doing something wrong that day).  It doesn't look good for the two men involved in the shooting. 

Sounds like the authorities are indicting everyone involved.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2021, 03:03:56 PM »
On February 23, Ahmaud Arbery was killed while he was running through the Satilla Shores neighborhood near Brunswick, in Georgia. Two men were sitting on their lawn when Arbery passed, and they pursued him in their truck. The men proceeded to get out of their truck and shoot Arbery, which resulted in his death.

Definitely more to it than that. I watched the video. Arbery took a bit of a detour from his run, and spent several minutes inside a house that was under construction across the street from somebody's security camera. There had been burglaries in the neighborhood, so the three men suspected that Arbery might be the burglar. They pursued him, cut him off, and (apparently) attempted to detain him until they could get the police there. However, Arbery lunged at the guy holding the shotgun, and got himself killed for his efforts.

At the time, citizens arrests were legal in Georgia. The law has since been repealed, as a result of this case.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2021, 10:50:11 PM »
At the time, citizens arrests were legal in Georgia. The law has since been repealed, as a result of this case.

Yes.  Now if someone rapes your daughter and tries to escape, you had better not try and capture him for the police... or you can go to prison for ten years.  Because capturing criminals is racist.   :mad:

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2021, 08:36:31 AM »
Yes.  Now if someone rapes your daughter and tries to escape, you had better not try and capture him for the police... or you can go to prison for ten years.  Because capturing criminals is racist.   :mad:

And that is why I have a wood chipper and a strip pit.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2021, 07:20:38 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/09/03/us/ahmaud-arbery-jackie-johnson-indicted/index.html

So the prosecutor who first declined charges on the shooter and associates has been indicted for dereliction of duty and interference with a law enforcement officer.  What's interesting to me in this article is that Madame D.A. and the ex-L.E.O. were friends...close enough that he called her after the shooting looking for advice.  I'll be interested to see how this one plays out.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2021, 08:23:12 PM »

I really doubt that they have totally eliminated citizens' arrest; if you personally witness a felony and maybe a select few misdemeanors.  But if you do arrest someone as a citizen you do not have the qualified immunity that police officers have (and abuse regularly) so you better get it right.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2021, 11:37:55 PM »
Got chewed out today by a "customer."

He was on foot. Had a backpack. Was frickin' holding a Dewalt impact box in his hand (Home Depot is in the same complex, and damn, but they have a shoplifting problem).

Guy walks in the front door. I walk with him back to the EMPTY BOXES of jump boxes, etc., at which point he asks a dozen or so questions. Walk him back to the front door, at which point he start round-a-bout accusing me of being racist.

"I'm just your personal shopper. You're the only guy in the store."

My POC coworker watched with amusement.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2021, 09:19:06 AM »
I guess "paying customer" is an entirely different term not applied to that individual. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2021, 02:24:31 PM »
I really doubt that they have totally eliminated citizens' arrest; if you personally witness a felony and maybe a select few misdemeanors.  But if you do arrest someone as a citizen you do not have the qualified immunity that police officers have (and abuse regularly) so you better get it right.

The GA eliminates citizens arrest except for a few categories of people (security guards, PIs and a few others).

It absolutely does eliminate citizens arrest for regular joes:

https://gov.georgia.gov/press-releases/2021-02-16/governor-kemp-announces-overhaul-citizens-arrest-statute

So if the rapist, murder, robber etc is trying to escape, you have to let them if you are an ordinary person... you can be imprisoned for ten years.   ;/

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2021, 05:04:01 PM »
So that leaves them with SSS then, got it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2021, 09:55:23 PM »
So that leaves them with SSS then, got it.

"I was in fear for my life"

Rapists, murderers and thieves are scary,  I see no issue.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2021, 10:10:09 AM »
The second most infuriating thing about the GA banning citizens arrest was the blatant lying about citizens arrests laws by every commentator I saw.

Did you know these laws are racist, and were invented to oppress blacks?

That is the only explanation of these laws the media gave.

Citizens arrest laws are a part of English common law, and go back to ancient times, long before the existence of a police force.  When a bad guy was on the loose, there was a "hue and cry" and all men were required to grab their weapons and chase after the criminal... if they didn't, they were liable for damages from the crime.

Citizens arrest is also one of the foundations of Peel's Principles of Policing:

"To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence."

Everything police can do, citizens can do, because they are have all the same rights.  Police can carry weapons?  So can citizens.  Police can arrest people?  So can citizens.... because they are the same sorts of people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2021, 02:07:37 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2021, 02:10:09 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/ahmaud-arbery-killing-trial-verdict-watch-11-24-21/h_61c9715b10cc24cad69318a030329d21

All three defendants guility of the murder of Mr. Arbery.

All three WHITE defendants guilty of the murder of Mr. Arbery

Seemed like just about every headline I saw made sure you knew they were white
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »
I figured the father and son would get that, but did I forget something about the neighbor? I'm not sure how he got a murder charge.

I also figured there might be some bias due to the Rittenhouse not guilty verdict. The father and son didn't think things through. I don't know enough about the evidence to have input in what an appropriate charge would be, but this kinda sounds like what they did to Chauvin. How do you get four counts of felony murder and one count of "malice murder" for killing one person?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JN01

• friend
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2021, 02:26:39 PM »
Three white men convicted of murdering a black man.  Last Friday, a black felon acquitted of murder and attempted murder of cops based on a claim of self-defense.  The Rittenhouse protesters have been telling us this is not possible in our racist system, but I'm starting to think that maybe they are wrong.

But it's probably just me failing to understand how these other two rulings are racist as well.  Maybe Don Lemon will explain it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2021, 02:47:54 PM »
I figured the father and son would get that, but did I forget something about the neighbor? I'm not sure how he got a murder charge.

I also figured there might be some bias due to the Rittenhouse not guilty verdict. The father and son didn't think things through. I don't know enough about the evidence to have input in what an appropriate charge would be, but this kinda sounds like what they did to Chauvin. How do you get four counts of felony murder and one count of "malice murder" for killing one person?

I'm guessing they were charged/convicted under old Jim Crow laws. Georgia has some unique laws for murder.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2021, 03:14:09 PM »
Under Oklahoma law anyone involved in the commission of a crime that results in a murder can be charged with the murder. An example of that in action would be: a few years ago three young adults committed a daytime home invasion armed with knives and brass knuckles. A resident of the home was armed with an AR-15. Three dead home invaders and the get away driver was charged and eventually convicted with their murders, the armed resident was not charged. Possibly Georgia has a similar statute.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oklahoma-home-invasion-shooting-no-charges-against-man-who-killed-3-intruders

http://thugify.com/man-kills-burglars-in-oklahoma-home-invasion/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2021, 03:46:17 PM »
Meanwhile the MSM and the race baiters continue to push the narrative that the justice sys is setup to let white people get away with murdering blacks.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2021, 04:07:10 PM »
The three Arbery defendants are scheduled to go to trial next year on Federal hate crime charges.  It will be interesting to see how that trial goes for them.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2021, 04:10:32 PM »
The three Arbery defendants are scheduled to go to trial next year on Federal hate crime charges.  It will be interesting to see how that trial goes for them.

It will be more interesting to see how long America continues to put up with the criminalizing of [some] mean thoughts.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2021, 04:17:28 PM »
Malice murder in Georgia:  https://www.11alive.com/article/news/crime/ahmaud-arbery/malice-murder-felony-murder-difference-ahmaud-arbery-death-trial/85-d13db692-cff9-4b4d-be73-5eba5ae22054

So malice murder appears to be the mostest horriblest murder. So why not just charge them with that instead of including the four other murders (again, for one victim)? I'm not just focusing on this case, but many others where they seem to throw a ton of various murder charges at someone, hooping something will stick.  I want to see murderers get their just desserts, but I worry about the government just amassing charges on someone just to win a case. Pick a lane, and you either have the evidence or you don't.

Not directing this at you Millcreek- just throwing out a general comment / question on these kinds of charges.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."