Author Topic: Turn in your gas stoves  (Read 9261 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Turn in your gas stoves
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2023, 01:50:42 PM »
It has zero to do with indoor pollution or health effects thereof.  It is entirely about accruing more political power and control over people.  We?re all aghast because the idea of controlling others is anathema to us.  But it is the raison d'etre for them.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2023, 01:53:37 PM »
MICROWAVE IT ALL!

NOT!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2023, 01:55:57 PM »
This subject reminded me of the linear city idea.  I saw this video this morning.  He sort of touched on the idea that running a city like this efficiently and maintaining the linear part would require a dictatorial govt that could force everyone into the structure of the city.  Kind of fits with the idea mentioned above about keeping everyone poor, hungry, and cold while the elites enjoy their countryside estates or prime penthouses. 

Why Linear Cities Don't Work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHRMcwQHicI

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2023, 01:59:26 PM »
About 18 months ago I picked up an induction burner from Amazon.

Holy hell is that thing brilliant. Unbelievably fast to boil water and the precise temperature control that it gives me is fantastic.

When I replaced my stove back in 2016 I briefly considered a unit with a full induction cooktop... until I saw the price. Four to six times what my current stove cost. Nope.

We need a new stove and heard lots of great things about induction tops but about fainted when I saw the price
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2023, 02:22:57 PM »
When I was looking back in 2016 the cheapest I was seeing was almost $3,000+; those were high end German and Korean models from Bosch and Samsung.

Now I'm seeing Frigidaire induction ranges with convection ovens in the $1,500 ballpark.

Still way too much.

And I've heard that both Bosch and Samsung burner units have a tendency to fail after about 3 years and they are horrifically expensive to replace.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2023, 03:00:51 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2023, 03:10:28 PM »
The Euros are big on induction. Pretty much all my relatives in krautland run induction stoves. They are apparently more reasonable to purchase in the EU than in the US. I have an induction hotplate (which are actually very reasonably priced) and use it pretty much every day, even if only to (very quickly!) boil water. I have a gas (propane) stove now. If I had a regular electric stove, I would switch it to induction in a heartbeat but for the price.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2023, 03:55:35 PM »
I got my induction burner primarily for summer use because of the amount of heat that my regular stove pumps into my galley kitchen.

It has performed so darned well that I've been using it year round.

I generally keep it on the stove itself (galley kitchens aren't blessed with a ton of counter space, unfortunately. When I need to use the real burners I move the induction unit out of the way.

I'm going to be making a pasta dish this evening (check for my most recent comment on the recipe in Puke Palace, made earlier today) and the pan I use for that isn't induction friendly, so tonight's a stove top burner kind of night.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2023, 06:04:39 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2023, 06:28:42 PM »
I love my 48? Bluestar range.  Puts out lots of BTUs, more than a normal stove.  Had to upgrade to a 1? propane line for it even.  Never messed with induction stoves, and frankly see little need.  My stove gets the pans hot plenty fast as it is.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 06:46:49 PM by sumpnz »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2023, 06:34:40 PM »
She said the quiet part out loud ...

https://youtu.be/cqTY5nQyd4U?t=39
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2023, 07:08:09 AM »
I SO want a house with a coal fireplace when I retire...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2023, 08:52:21 AM »
My parent's property has enough wood to feed a fire place.  I can stick with wood. 

If you are in a position where you have to buy the fuel regardless, I can see using other stuff.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2023, 09:46:23 AM »
No gas piped to my suburban neighborhood, so I've been stuck with an electric stove for a long time.

I would SO much prefer a gas range, but not wanting to go the big propane tank route, I'm stuck with electric.  =(   (Or worse . . . moving to somewhere within the city limits of Austin, TX, AKA Moscow on the Colorado.)

As for the greenies war on gas . . . <expletive> <expletive> string of <expletives>

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2023, 10:03:26 AM »
So are they going to try to ban fire places?  If gas stoves cause harmful pollutants, I am sure a fire place would do the same. 

I don't have a fire place.  I saw a video recently on a portable propane heater I liked.  I may have to go ahead and get that.

Fireplaces have vents. So do gas furnaces and water heaters. In fact last winter my gas furnace crapped out because it has a sensor in the exhaust to verify the pressure in the exhaust to make sure the exhaust is actually exhausting, and the sensor failed. Gas ranges are the only gas appliance that just spews into the living space with no ventilation. And cheap houses and apartments often have no vent hood, which always seemed wrong in the first place if you actually use your range for cooking. Under these circumstances, it seems like a reasonable thing to do would be update building codes to require ventilation for gas ranges, like all decent houses and commercial kitchens do anyway. But it seems our only tool is to ban things now.

Long ago, in a more civilized age known as "the nineties", a similar problem was handled in a reasonable way when 3-wire electric dryers were phased out. Everyone knew they were dangerous and should use 4-wire circuits, so in 1996 they changed the rules so 3-wire dryers could not be sold anymore. And building codes were changed so it was illegal to install 3-wire receptacles in any new construction or remodel. But you were still allowed to install a 3-wire cord on a new dryer in order to use a new dryer in an old house. If you had an old 3-wire dryer and moved to a new house, well, you were out of luck but that was probably an old dryer anyway at that point. I suppose if our current government were in place in 1996 then they would have just banned dryers because clotheslines are better for the environment anyway.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 11:16:14 AM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2023, 03:54:17 PM »
That is a good point.  I would love to have a vent over my stove.  Unfortunately, the house doesn't have one. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2023, 04:22:18 PM »
Honestly any indoor cooktop probably needs ventilation.  Most cooking oils break down into stuff you don't want to breath once they start smoking.  Over heated teflon is, IIRC, incredibly bad for you.  As was mentioned upthread, houses are much more airtight than they used to be, so the natural airflow of our grandma's probably no longer cuts it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2023, 04:27:56 PM »
I was thinking all homes with gas stoves had a vent. Every place I ever lived, including a condo, had a vent, even with electric stoves.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2023, 04:31:03 PM »
If you keep birds in your house, mostly parrot species, but any bird really, overheating a Teflon pan will kill the bird.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2023, 04:33:03 PM »
When using the oven or a burner on high, I turn the vent hood fan on low to suck that heat OUT!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2023, 06:46:25 PM »
I was thinking all homes with gas stoves had a vent. Every place I ever lived, including a condo, had a vent, even with electric stoves.

I have an electric stove and I have a vent hood.

Unfortunately, the vent is a recirculator type. It's not vented to the outside because of where my kitchen is.

Pulls the air through a mesh grease filter and then through a carbon filter. Does a... passable job. When I use it.

But as you can imagine, it doesn't do squat to get rid of heat. Which is the biggest reason I got the induction burner.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2023, 08:02:35 PM »
I have an electric stove and I have a vent hood.

Unfortunately, the vent is a recirculator type. It's not vented to the outside because of where my kitchen is.

Pulls the air through a mesh grease filter and then through a carbon filter. Does a... passable job. When I use it.

But as you can imagine, it doesn't do squat to get rid of heat. Which is the biggest reason I got the induction burner.
My stove has that.  Didn't come with any filters.  Just recirculates.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2023, 08:23:21 PM »
My stove has that.  Didn't come with any filters.  Just recirculates.

I would advise looking for an owner's manual for it and seeing if it was actually designed that way (I can't believe that it was) or if something was left out.

I can't imagine why anyone would even bother to put in a recirculator vent hood without a charcoal filter and a grease screen.