Author Topic: Turn in your gas stoves  (Read 9441 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Turn in your gas stoves
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2023, 12:44:03 AM »
We got a Vent-a-Hood for the Bluestar.  Really need to install it.  It’s rated for I think 1200cfm, at the outlet in the roof.  The way most hoods are rated it would be more like 1800cfm. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2023, 01:15:41 AM »
Do you want to get shot? 'cause that's a damn good way to get yourself shot.
 [ar15]

Hence the burning ongoing endless efforts to eliminate guns from our hands.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2023, 10:26:45 AM »
I would advise looking for an owner's manual for it and seeing if it was actually designed that way (I can't believe that it was) or if something was left out.

I can't imagine why anyone would even bother to put in a recirculator vent hood without a charcoal filter and a grease screen.
I recall the manual said which filters to get, but it didn't come with any.  I should still have the manual.  I may have to look it up and order a set. 
I thought it was just a paper filter.  A charcoal filter that absorbs the smoke/grease would be good.  Maybe it wouldn't set off my smoke alarm so easily.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2023, 10:28:38 AM »
That's exactly what the charcoal filter is for, to absorb smoke and odors.

I don't use my range hood all that often, but I decidedly do when I'm searing meat or anything that might get a smokey.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2023, 03:32:12 PM »
This has to be trolling by DeSantis.  :rofl:

The Framework for Freedom budget abolishes sales tax for:
- Baby necessities including diapers, wipes, clothes, strollers and cribs
- Over-the-counter pet medications
- Gas stoves

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2023/02/01/cant-wait-to-see-how-libs-will-negatively-spin-ron-desantis-bold-move-to-help-florida-families/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2023, 09:42:11 AM »
More gas fun
Makes you wonder what's going on.
Yes this is related to gas stoves.

San Diego restaurant owners are demanding action over the city's soaring energy prices after their natural gas bill spiked $6,000 – equivalent to a 400% surge – in just one month.

San Diego restaurant sees natural gas bill soar $6k in one month: They're 'running us out of here'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/san-diego-restaurant-sees-natural-gas-bill-soar-6k-one-month-theyre-running-us-here
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 10:11:48 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2023, 11:05:00 AM »
And even MORE gas stove fun...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/energy-department-proposes-tighter-efficiency-standards-gas-electric-stoves-ovens

Typical dem tactic
If they can't ban something outright they make it too expensive for anyone but the elites
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2023, 11:32:59 AM »
Bugs don't require a lot of cooking.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2023, 03:38:41 PM »
One news article I heard recently was that gas appliances tend to raise the value of house as they are deemed more desirable.
I can see that because, in the event of a power outage, your stove, oven, water heater, and furnace will continue to operate, although the furnace will need a portable generator to supply electricity to run the blower.  But that only requires 110v and not the 220/240 and electric furnace needs.
Plus, a gas stove is "ON" instantly while the electric takes time to heat up enough to do anything.
And let's not forget about those "transmission losses" (usually as "heat") from the high tension lines and transformers before the electricity ever reaches your house or business.
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2023, 03:54:27 PM »
One news article I heard recently was that gas appliances tend to raise the value of house as they are deemed more desirable.
I can see that because, in the event of a power outage, your stove, oven, water heater, and furnace will continue to operate, although the furnace will need a portable generator to supply electricity to run the blower.  But that only requires 110v and not the 220/240 and electric furnace needs.
Plus, a gas stove is "ON" instantly while the electric takes time to heat up enough to do anything.
And let's not forget about those "transmission losses" (usually as "heat") from the high tension lines and transformers before the electricity ever reaches your house or business.

Would have to agree.  We just moved into a house with gas appliances and this is the 1st time we've had a gas stove and I love it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2023, 04:26:39 PM »
Montgomery County, Maryland, banned gas in new construction last year, I believe.

For sale signs are now including signs saying the a property has, or can have, gas.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2023, 10:50:42 PM »
We had to sell the MIL's house in December and that was something we corrected quick with the relator was that it was a gas cooktop not electric.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2023, 11:14:49 PM »

As for transmission losses I think the electric stove may still win on efficiency. Huge amount of waste heat with the gas stove. But I specifically switched to gas. In the winter that heat isn't waste. It does run when the power is out but the ovens do not due to controls. I need to get a small UPS to run the stove fully.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2023, 12:49:13 AM »
As for transmission losses I think the electric stove may still win on efficiency. Huge amount of waste heat with the gas stove. But I specifically switched to gas. In the winter that heat isn't waste. It does run when the power is out but the ovens do not due to controls. I need to get a small UPS to run the stove fully.

Most ignitors draw about 3.2 amps. Just so you know what to look for.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HankB

• friend
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2023, 08:58:53 AM »
I grew up in a house with gas stove, water heater, and furnace and I would GREATLY prefer that to my current "all electric" house - but when I moved here, gas meant either a great big propane tank or paying more to live in a house in an area I didn't like.

Hmmm . . . "transmission losses" (usually as "heat") . . . wonder if we can turn that around on the greenies and tell them all those wires to supply electricity for electric cars and such are really great big heating elements . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2023, 10:06:38 AM »
You can call it waste heat, sure, but my gas bill is small compared to my electric bill.  Also, when the power is out, my water heater still works and I can still use the burners on my stove. 
If you have a backup generator, that makes up for it a lot.  My neighborhood has underground power and we are on the line supplying the local hospital.  We have outages once in a while, but they rarely last very long.

I will have to ask my Dad what he deals with for his propane tank, but that doesn't sound so bad to me to have some conveniences that will work no matter what happens to the power. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2023, 02:33:09 PM »
They can have my Svea when they pry it from my charred, smoking fingers.
7-11 was a part time job.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2023, 05:58:52 PM »
They can have my Svea when they pry it from my charred, smoking fingers.

Thinking of joining the Branch Davidians?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2023, 09:30:40 PM »
Thinking of joining the Branch Davidians?

Too old.

I skipped my gas stove tonight, went and retrieved the stainless grate from my homebuilt grill, tossed it in the fireplace once the oak was burnt down to coals. Steak! and glorious air pollution of course.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2023, 12:39:13 PM »
Meanwhile in NY

The law bans gas-powered stoves, furnaces and propane heating and effectively encourages the use of climate-friendly appliances such as heat pumps and induction stoves in most new residential buildings across the state. It requires all-electric heating and cooking in new buildings shorter than seven stories by 2026, and for taller buildings by 2029.

But they're getting "pushback" from  "fossil fuel interests"
So I guess if you don't like it you're a "fossil fuel interest"

New York becomes the first state to ban natural gas stoves and furnaces in most new buildings
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/03/us/new-york-natural-gas-ban-climate/index.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2023, 05:26:11 PM »
Gas stoves effect "underserved communities" (aka minorities) more so ban them.

NEW: Today, I’m leading 11 AGs calling for federal action to address the health & safety risks of gas stoves, which emit pollutants that have a disparate negative impact on children & underserved communities and put DC residents at risk of asthma and other respiratory illnesses.

— AG Brian Schwalb (@DCAttorneyGen) May 8, 2023

Eleven attorneys general target gas stoves, which have a disparate impact on underserved communities
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2023/05/09/eleven-attorneys-general-target-gas-stoves-which-have-a-disparate-impact-on-underserved-communities/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2023, 06:19:35 PM »
Are they going to eliminate gas ranges in commercial kitchens? Because the vast majority of commercial kitchens use gas ranges.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2023, 06:45:15 PM »
I don’t care how good induction stoves are supposed to be.  I won’t give up my gas range.