Author Topic: Jeepers! Any thoughts?  (Read 900 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Jeepers! Any thoughts?
« on: May 19, 2020, 06:51:43 PM »
I've got a 2015 JKU Rubicon.  I put a Poison Spyder front bumper on it 18 months ago, it's been great.  Even used it to haul a friend's Expedition off a rock that it got high centered on.

I want to swap out the back bumper with something of similar quality, with some recovery shackle points.  Poison Spyder makes a "Bruizer" bumper that fills the bill perfectly.  Even retains the Class III hitch I need to pull my trailer.  And they offer a spare tire carrier to replace the door mounted one.  My tailgate tire carrier has been squeaking ever since I changed from OEM rims to aftermarket ones with a bit more hub offset to widen the stance, and going to a stronger tire carrier has been a desire for awhile.

However, I also want to get a heavy duty roof rack installed.  None of this drill the roof or clamp to the gutters stuff though.  The two I'm most interested in, are Gobi Stealth and Warrior MOD racks. 

These types of racks have rear support pillars that bolt to the bumper/frame junction.  I'm concerned that if I go to an aftermarket bumper like the PS Bruizer with spare tire carrier mounted in the same place, I may have too much going on in that rear passenger side corner for the roof rack to attach its support there.  I can't seem to find any end user reports with this particular combination of aftermarket parts.  Anyone here run a Gobi rack with an aftermarket rear bumper?

I've contacted Poison Spyder about my questions.  Got a "damned if we know" type of response that was rather underwhelming.  Also contacted Gobi.  Haven't heard back yet.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Jeepers! Any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »
You might try asking over here - https://www.wranglerforum.com/

If I was in to customizing my Jeep Poison Spyder would be a first place for me to look.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 07:45:52 PM »
Thanks, created an account and asked over there in the JK tech forum.  Don't see Gobi or Poison Spyder as dedicated vendor subforums, but maybe I'll get lucky there.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 11:40:48 PM »
You are in possession of a welder........make whatever brackets you need, if it can't be done stock.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 09:11:16 AM »
My 2014 JKU Rubicon "X" has the mopar steel bumpers (10a front). I'm interested in seeing what you end up with.
I've looked at the rhino pioneer roof rack platform system and I recently saw the Maximus frame with pioneer rack that I think I like a little better (it will clear my garage header) but haven't heard any reviews. The gobi looks well made.
Can't help you on the bumper. I don't plan on changing mine.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 09:40:31 AM »
I'm leaning more towards only attempting the Gobi rack for right now, then later this fall or next spring doing the bumper and tire carrier replacement.  Doing all of it all at once is a $3500 commitment, and I do have other things I should be examining and addressing around the house.  Of the Jeep upgrade priorities, the rack is a higher priority to increase available cargo space and leave more internal volume for passengers. 

There are some drawbacks to that approach though.
-The particular bumper I want may end up discontinued
-I have to drop the OEM bumper and reinstall it, then drop it again for the eventual bumper replacement
-The Gobi has several different rear mount solutions offered.  They ask you whose rear bumper you are running before shipping, and effort to provide compatible mounts for whatever you have.  If I buy a rack compatible with the OEM bumper and then later switch, I might need alternate mount hardware for the rack.

Toying with putting a portion of this on plastic to get it all done.  I'm currently all clear of plastic debt and I really like that.
--Lysander Spooner

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 09:58:49 AM »
Have you tried the trick with a piece of radiator hose on your rear tire carrier for the squeak? Some folks with more offset seem to do that behind the wheel on the factory mount atleast for clearance.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 11:47:24 AM »
It's hinge-squeak, not tire free play in the mount.
--Lysander Spooner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 12:13:59 PM »
My only thought was: "why AZRedHawk channeling Velma?"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought