Main Forums > The Roundtable

HELP!

(1/2) > >>

Hawkmoon:
As usual, I find myself caught in a technological time warp. Someone please enlighten me.

Since the advent of the COVID-19 isolation and the proliferation of people working from home, all of a sudden all I'm hearing about is people holding virtual meetings on Zoom. I know Zoom is an app (or a program?) I see on their web site that there's a free personal plan. So ...

What's different and/or better about Zoom than Skype?

Ben:
I haven't been in the working world for a while, but I would assume Zoom is just like Webex, vs like Skype, but it looks like it's cheaper to use than Webex (or apparently free in some cases).  I see that Google has recently released "Meet" which appears to be a competitor to Webex and Zoom.

Devonai:
My squadron used Webex for our "virtual" drill this month. It went fine even with 100 people logged on at the same time.

Perd Hapley:
I thought hearing everyone suddenly talking about App X as if everyone was already using it on the reg was just a part of life for those of us over 30. I had the same thing with Vine, TikTok, Periscope. Slack, too, but that's more of a business thing I guess.

Ben:

--- Quote from: Devonai on May 24, 2020, 10:13:15 AM ---My squadron used Webex for our "virtual" drill this month. It went fine even with 100 people logged on at the same time.

--- End quote ---

We used it in my part of the gov too. For as expensive as it is (or was then) it's pretty rock solid. I recall we tried switching a couple of times but always went back to them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version